Is the US Embassy still issuing certificate of resident

Anyone know if the US Embassy is still issuing certificate of residency ? Checked the website, and did not find anything. Want to put a motorbike in my name in Kanchanaburi. Expats there tell me immigration is difficult to work with. Also, what documents would I need ?  Do have one a one year lease agreement.     

The U.S. Embassy used to have an Address Affidavit template on their website that clearly is no longer there. As Joe stated, use the blank affidavit template.

For my recent Thai DL renewal I used the blank affidavit template and added three numbered paragraphs. These paragraphs closely mirror the information in the former address affidavit template previously available on the embassy's webpage:

1. I am a U.S. citizen born on <Date of Birth>, at <State> USA and am the bearer of U.S. Passport
No. xxxxxxxxx issued on <Date> by the United States Department of State.

2. I am retired and reside at:
<Thai Address Line 1>

<Thai Address Line 2>

<Thai Address Line 3>

3. The purpose of this affidavit is to:
Respectfully request the Thai Government issue me a Thai Driver’s License so that
I may drive in the Kingdom of Thailand.

A similar format may also generally be used for other DLT business and when requesting to open a Thai bank account; just change the purpose in paragraph 3.

As always, check with your local DLT office for their specific documentation requirements. (For professional reasons I did not want to obtain a Residence Certificate from my local imm office.)

Edited by Neocon
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

This is the most recent version of the affidavit which the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok emailed to me last year. It worked for my 5-year renewals at Bang Chak.

I have a much older one, circa 2000 which I used originally.

Validity depends on many things, I'd imagine, not limited to the rules of entity requiring the affidavit (DLT in this case), and that the information remains accurate and truthful. For Thai authorities I might aim for 30 days or less?

Vehicle-License Affidavit.pdf