Teaching licence in Thailand

Maca

I have been told you can only get three temporary teaching licences in Thailand and you have to be working at a school for a year before they can apply for a permanent on your behalf, then the procedure to get it may take anywhere up to six months. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks Maca

A permanent one as in the 5 year one?

I have a 5 year one and it definitely didn't take 6 months. HR at my place sorted it all for me and I reckon it was around a month or so. I never even went anywhere for it. 

1. Not younger than 20 years of age
2. Have academic qualifications in one of the following:
    (a) Have a degree in education or its equivalent 
    (b) Have a degree in another field and a teaching license from another country 
    (c) Have a degree in another field and a graduate diploma in teaching profession with 1 year of
         course study 
    (d) Have a degree in another field and have passed other professional certification in accordance
         with the professional standards of the Teachers’ Council of Thailand
3. Have continuing experience in teaching of not less than 1 year
4. Have a Thai work permit 
5. Have evidence showing that an applicant has been permitted to stay in Thailand 
6. Not possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 of the Teachers and 
    Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2003
    • Having improper behavior or immorality
    • Being an incompetent or quasi-incompetent person
    • Having been sentenced to imprisonment in any case, in the opinion of the Teachers Council of Thailand, which may bring dishonor upon the profession.

http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=englishsite&SiteMenuID=4616

You only get a teachers license if you qualify. There is no waiting period, other than the times it takes to process your application. For a real teachers license that can take a few months and as Ardenai indicates you must have experience of no less than 1 year. But that experience can be gotten abroad. If no experience, you will indeed be on a waiver for the first year. 

On 8/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, Preacher said:

You only get a teachers license if you qualify. There is no waiting period, other than the times it takes to process your application. For a real teachers license that can take a few months and as Ardenai indicates you must have experience of no less than 1 year. But that experience can be gotten abroad. If no experience, you will indeed be on a waiver for the first year. 

Khurusapha usually wants you to be at a school for at least 365 days, the OP needs an evaluation from the school and copies of teacher's licenses from three Thai teachers.

( Please see Aidenai's link and post)

I was told to bring a copy of the director's license/ or ID as well.

I applied for my license, paid the 500 baht fee and was told that they'll send it to my school after two months. 

Of course, can you apply via the post, but if a document's missing, it can take forever. 

The 'one year' at the school works like this: one year from the date of your work permit not your contract nor any other paperwork. I was too early and caught out on this technicality.

You will also need the list signed by 3-5 teachers and their licenses. Finally, the reference written 'the Director' with his or her Director's license attached. This is different than a standard license.

I would recommend you make the trip to Bangkok. If anything is missing you'll know straight away. Bring absolutely everything you might just need to photocopy some additional documents if lucky.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, Preacher said:

I'm not certain how the experience can be gained abroad unless the teacher has some certification that they are willing to accept in lieu. They are looking for classroom experience I presume. Not simply an MEd or whatever.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

The 'one year' at the school works like this: one year from the date of your work permit not your contract nor any other paperwork. I was too early and caught out on this technicality.

You will also need the list signed by 3-5 teachers and their licenses. Finally, the reference written 'the Director' with his or her Director's license attached. This is different than a standard license.

I would recommend you make the trip to Bangkok. If anything is missing you'll know straight away. Bring absolutely everything you might just need to photocopy some additional documents if lucky.

A great way is to have it on a memory stick and send all the docs to your own email account.

If the OP's on a Non-O, they also want to see the marriage certificate.

As far as I know, it can't get issued from abroad and it starts from the day the provisional TL was issued. 365 days, not one day less is the rule. 

I know a guy who's there after 362 days of employment and was sent away.

Archived