Surin - Farang Connection closure??

kunash

I am currently in Surin, and my last time here was 2 years ago, when Farang Connection was open.

The restaurant has now been closed some 2 years, and am wondering why it has closed?   Did the owner lose interest, or not enough customers?  i know when the original owner died many years ago, the place started to g0 downhill very rapidly

just interested to know

I think it is fair to say that the FC was on the slide from the day the owner, Martin, died.

For the period of time when his widow was still running it it was still doing OK as the money from the car and bike hire, which was run from the FC, was keeping the income flowing. As soon as she rented the property and took the car hire with her it was always going to struggle. With rent to pay and only Thai staff, no money or investment from overseas, the expences were always going to be difficult to cover.

There would be a good crowd late afternoon to early evening some days with a bigger crowd on Sundays.

As already mentioned, the opening of other bars around Surin has also had an effect. 

The Aussie sports bar, now also closed, opposite, The Fantasy Bar (used to be Norbies), Watering Hole and The Beach near to Speed, and also Bamboozled that has a large gathering on Fridays. They are the main drinking bars but there are also a good selection of restaurants with Starbeam probably the most well known.

The OP said 2 years but I would guess that the Farang Connection closed more recently than that. It was sad to see it go as it was an icon of Surin.

Archived