Bitcoin Exchanges in Thailand

cblunt

I'm looking for a reliable Bitcoin exchange in Thailand to trade BTC on.

A Google search has thrown up Bitcoin Co. Ltd. and Coins.co.th.

I believe Coins.co.th is related to Coins.ph in Manila which I have had an account with for a while now.

Does anyone use a Bitcoin exchange that they can recommend? I'd want to be able to withdraw funds to a local Thai bank account.

bx.in.th - no problems depositing and withdrawing larger amounts like say 1M Baht and up.

You will need a KYC verified account with them which is a pain in the ass, you need to send a photo of yourself holding your passport so they can both read the passport id page and verify that it's you holding it.

It's a pain in the ass to take such a photo but once it's done you're good to go.

I just opened an account with Bx.in.th but I see that they require an address in Thailand in order to become verified.

Sorry, I didn't mention before that I wasn't living in Thailand so I guess I'll have to keep looking.

8 hours ago, uli65 said:

I think you have thai bank account?  you can ask for bank statement and send to bx in th. they will accept this for proof.

Unfortunately, my bank account has an overseas address on record.

bx.in.th responded as follows:

"Our team has posted a response to your support ticket, the reply is below:
Thank you for contacting us.
If you don't have a permanent address in Thailand.You are not qualified to be our members.
You cannot use our website. "

I'll see if I can find another way around this, but looks like they're not interested in operating account for anyone who doesn't live in Thailand.

3 hours ago, DoktorC said:

Curious... If you don't live in Thailand, why do you need to trade bitcoin here?  Something wrong in Philippines?

That's a good question.

My main objective is to find a better way to fund my Thai bank account for when I visit Thailand. It's difficult to remit money internationally from a Peso bank account in the Philippines, and anyway the charges are quite high. The exchange rate on converting Pesos to Baht is appalling, so I'm exploring the possibility of doing it with Bitcoin.

I've given up on bx.in.th, but have had more success with Coins.co.th. Coins.co.th appears to be a sister company of Coins.ph which I've been using in Manila for a few years already. They had no problem opening an account with a non-Thai address, and I'm just waiting for them to confirm the ID verification which I submitted.

Hopefully this will allow me to transfer Bitcoin to Coins.co.th and withdraw it to my account at Bangkok Bank.

• 4 weeks later...

I just read that Bx.in.th is closing down.

I've very glad now that they didn't accept my application to sign-up.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/thai-cryptocurrency-exchange-bitcoin-co-ltd-closing-down-operations

Thailand’s leading cryptocurrency exchange Bitcoin Co. Ltd. (BX.in.th) is closing down all of its trading operations.

The exchange announced its decision to discontinue trading on Sept. 2. The official website of the exchange states:

“Bitcoin Co. Ltd. has decided to discontinue offering digital exchange services and wallet services at our BX.in.th website in order to focus on other business opportunities.”

Customers need to withdraw their funds before Nov. 1, 2019.

The five-year-old exchange, which was regulated by the Thai Securities and Exchange Commission, will not seek to hold a Digital Asset Exchange license for the year 2020 and has therefore asked its customers to withdraw their funds before Nov. 1, 2019.

The exchange has assured its users that support and guidance will be available during the fund withdrawal process and thanked its customers for their loyalty over the past five years. 

The website further stated that all deposits will be disabled after Sept. 6 and trading will be halted as of Sept. 30.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived