UK national / Non-resident Retirement Visa

I'm a UK national and passport holder (born in the UK) residing overseas. Planning for retirement / extension of stay permission for Thailand. I've recently made a deposit of the required ThB 800,00 to my bank in Thailand. I have some questions regarding the logistics of the process / steps involved. Do I have to return to the UK to start the application process or can I enter Thailand on a non-immigrant visa (O/A?)? Can I get  a non-immigrant O/A from a Thai embassy other than the UK?

Next question is, assuming I'm in Thailand using whatever is the correct first step, how long would it usually take to arrange the extension of stay, and how long before I could exit Thailand?

Hope this clear what I'm trying to understand. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Conrad65 said:

Can I get  a non-immigrant O/A from a Thai embassy other than the UK?

You can only apply in the UK for OA long stay visa in the UK unless you are a legal resident in another country.

The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries from the date is issued. You can get almost 2 year of total stay from it by getting another one year entry on or before the date it expires. No need for an extension until near the end of those 2 years.

You could enter the country on a 30 day visa exempt entry or a tourist visa and apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration and then apply for the one year extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

You can enter on a O-A Visa.

To get an O-A Visa from a Thai embassy/consulate outside your passport country you generally need to be a permanent resident of that country in which you apply.

You should check the website of that country's Thai embassy/consulate for the exact requirements. The core requirements are the same - but each embassy/consulate may have additional requirements.

If you let us know in which country you are residing and whether you are a permanent resident of that country, the someone may be able to advise.

Once you enter on an O-A you can stretch out your stay for nearly two years by doing an exit and entry BEFORE the Visa expiry date which is 1 year from the Visa issued date.

You won't have to do an extension of stay until the end of the "second year". The second year needs to be protected with a reentry permit if you intend to travel outside Thailand during that time.

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Conrad65 said:

I'm a resident of Qatar (for my sins!).

Just checked the embassy in Doha's website  and there is almost no visa info on it. I suggest you contact them for info about their requirements for the  OA visa. http://www.thaiembassy.org/doha/en/

General requirements are here on the MFA website. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

I did go in to the local embassy a few years back and asked - the response was one of puzzlement....'But, you from UK. must go back'! It was probably an unusual request for them. Anyway, now I have a friend-of-a-friend in the embassy in Doha so I'll follow up through that route and see what they say.

Otherwise it sounds like a trip back to the UK to arrange a non-immigrant O A or as ubonjoe suggested 'You could enter the country on a 30 day visa exempt entry or a tourist visa and apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration and then apply for the one year extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.'

If I came in on a 30 day visa exempt entry and applied for a 90 day non immigrant visa can I exit and re-enter on the same 90 day visa? Or does exiting void the 90 day non immigrant visa?

5 hours ago, Conrad65 said:

If I came in on a 30 day visa exempt entry and applied for a 90 day non immigrant visa can I exit and re-enter on the same 90 day visa?

You would need a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 days valid when using it for entry.