Retirement Extension Refused, CM today.

maybefitz

Retirement Extension refused at Chiang Mai

This would have been my 12th extension for retirement, previously done without problem with the Embassy letter, income method. I have always done it myself, no agent. OK, the rules have changed but my income hasn’t. I use 3 pensions, 2 are paid in monthly to Bangkok Bank, about 28 to 29 thousand. The other pension, my occupational pension is paid into my Lloyds bank UK. I use this to pay some UK commitments like alimony from my 1st marriage, so I can’t bring it all direct to Thailand.

Every month I draw by ATM on the last day of the month, when the pension is paid, 40,000 baht. This is done at Bangkok Bank, Chiang Mai and paid straight into my account with them. This then totals the 68,000 or so for my income statement. I retain the debit card slips, together with the Lloyds bank account showing it paid into Thailand.

At Immigration, I presented all this paperwork, including the Income statement from Bangkok bank. Rejected, the money has to come direct into the bank account, not via an ATM, even though it is shown beyond all doubt it is from UK and is not recycled.

Plan B, as a reserve backup, I have my emergency fund with Government Savings Bank, of 400,000 baht. I acquired the letter from them, it has been there for over a year. So, I presented this to Immigration, saying if they won’t accept the 40,000 baht monthly income, do the combination method. Complete news to me, I was told that this has been discontinued, it is 800,000 only for the bank account system.

OK, move to plan C, extension by married to a Thai. I am now in the process of constructing all the additional paperwork that is required, including going back to the Amphur where we were married, to get a ‘Tor Ror 2’ verification of marriage, something again new to me.

I post this as an advisory note to others.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Retirement Extension refused at Chiang Mai
This would have been my 12th extension for retirement, previously done without problem with the Embassy letter, income method. I have always done it myself, no agent. OK, the rules have changed but my income hasn’t. I use 3 pensions, 2 are paid in monthly to Bangkok Bank, about 28 to 29 thousand. The other pension, my occupational pension is paid into my Lloyds bank UK. I use this to pay some UK commitments like alimony from my 1st marriage, so I can’t bring it all direct to Thailand.
Every month I draw by ATM on the last day of the month, when the pension is paid, 40,000 baht. This is done at Bangkok Bank, Chiang Mai and paid straight into my account with them. This then totals the 68,000 or so for my income statement. I retain the debit card slips, together with the Lloyds bank account showing it paid into Thailand.
At Immigration, I presented all this paperwork, including the Income statement from Bangkok bank. Rejected, the money has to come direct into the bank account, not via an ATM, even though it is shown beyond all doubt it is from UK and is not recycled.
Plan B, as a reserve backup, I have my emergency fund with Government Savings Bank, of 400,000 baht. I acquired the letter from them, it has been there for over a year. So, I presented this to Immigration, saying if they won’t accept the 40,000 baht monthly income, do the combination method. Complete news to me, I was told that this has been discontinued, it is 800,000 only for the bank account system.
OK, move to plan C, extension by married to a Thai. I am now in the process of constructing all the additional paperwork that is required, including going back to the Amphur where we were married, to get a ‘Tor Ror 2’ verification of marriage, something again new to me.
I post this as an advisory note to others.
I had a similar exasperating experience in Aranyaprathet. Could have strangled the guy! I ended up going to a service in Pattaya. Expensive but damn well worth it. Will never set foot in Aran office again. Bloody never!

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, maybefitz said:

including going back to the Amphur where we were married, to get a ‘Tor Ror 2’

I do not do myself but believe have seen reports that can be downloaded by any Amphur office on request so might be worth a try if far away.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
20 minutes ago, maybefitz said:

including going back to the Amphur where we were married, to get a ‘Tor Ror 2’

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I do not do myself but believe have seen reports that can be downloaded by any Amphur office on request so might be worth a try if far away.

You have read correctly. Madam Moon and I were married in Bangkok 5 years ago. But we were able to get a KOR 2 from an Amphur in a small town in rural Issan.

It's a simple process that only took about 30 mins. (and 400 THB)

Good luck with the re-app @maybefitz

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You have read correctly. Madam Moon and I were married in Bangkok 5 years ago. But we were able to get a KOR 2 from an Amphur in a small town in rural Issan.

Wow. The correct fee is 20 Baht.

13 minutes ago, fishtank said:

All of them on the take, from top to bottom. It never ends! Absolutely no sense or moral scruples or any effort to do a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Terrible people. ????

1 hour ago, maybefitz said:

OK, the rules have change

No surprises in your report, especially in that it's coming out of CM Immigration. There have been prior posts from folks who have been denied using the combo method for retirement extensions because they could not produce an Embassy income affidavit for the income part of their "combo".

I believe, Immigration is still accepting "combo" retirement extension applications IF the income portion is documented by an Embassy income affidavit (which leaves out Americans, Brits, and Aussies who no longer can obtain such affidavits).

And, ATM slips showing foreign card/Thai bank ATM withdrawals followed by deposits into Thai bank accounts have never been accepted by Immigration anywhere here for monthly income/foreign transfer documenting purposes, AFAIK.

52 minutes ago, Moonlover said:
1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

26 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Sorry folks, I will correct myself. (I should have asked M. Moon first)

Yes you are right fishtank it is 20 THB. But my wife is ever a generous soul and always hands out 'a little for eat', as she calls it.

but it wasn't 400! So you can wind your Thai bashing hyperbole back in @thequietman ????

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No surprises in your report, especially in that it's coming out of CM Immigration. There have been prior posts from folks who have been denied using the combo method for retirement extensions because they could not produce an Embassy income affidavit for the income part of their "combo".

I believe, Immigration is still accepting "combo" retirement extension applications IF the income portion is documented by an Embassy income affidavit (which leaves out Americans, Brits, and Aussies who no longer can obtain such affidavits).

This is correct. I am a US citizen in exactly this situation. I have been using the combo method for 5 years but now my extension is being denied even though the combination of income (US Social Security) plus the untouched fixed account balance is well over 800k.

Bad luck! I would strongly advise you use a professional agent and let them do all the magic. They know the IO staff and are friends with many of them and it's not worth the stress to save a few thousand baht.

I must say, though, that I am surprised they would ever accept the ATM 'method' and you might have been lucky. Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

14 hours ago, thequietman said:

All of them on the take, from top to bottom. It never ends! Absolutely no sense or moral scruples or any effort to do a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Terrible people. ????

many are simply corrupt not necessarily terrible... i have friends tried an agent for the first time this year and said it was like slicing butter with a hot knife so easy (and sleazy)

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And, ATM slips showing foreign card/Thai bank ATM withdrawals followed by deposits into Thai bank accounts have never been accepted by Immigration anywhere here for monthly income/foreign transfer documenting purposes, AFAIK.

Unfortunate, too, that the nice folks at CM Imm will also not accept stamped, certified and paid-for receipts from their own Bangkok Bank confirming the veracity of monthly deposits under 65K even though they come from exactly the same source as those over 65K.  Fascinating, really...

56 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

How is this news to anyone by now ?? 

Money must be an international deposit into a Thai bank account, 65k monthly..

Combo only accepted with income affidavit. 

Per the attached, you may want to note that the "ChiangMai Rules" also include an Embassy letter requirement for those presenting 65K+.  It would be interesting to hear the change of tune should those presenting this option were refused on the same grounds - wouldn't it?

CM Rules 2019.pdf

17 hours ago, Lopburi99 said:

I had a similar exasperating experience in Aranyaprathet. Could have strangled the guy! I ended up going to a service in Pattaya. Expensive but damn well worth it. Will never set foot in Aran office again. Bloody never!

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just a quick question do the agents have to be in the area where your immigration office is or do people use them anywhere and who are the recommended ones to use thanks

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

all these years I was reading on this forum that getting a marriage visa was a hassle and I've stuck with a retirement visa, Because of the new financial requirements I found that I was obliged to apply for marriage visa. Getting it was a breeze. It took just over half an hour and the immigration officials were friendly and helpful. I only had to keep 400 K in the bank for two months and I didn't need to go back and pick up the extension a month later. A friend of mine was able to do this for me. So there is really a lot of misinformation on this forum and most of the problems with immigration are because of not having the right documentation or sufficient funds. 

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:
17 hours ago, Moonlover said:
1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

17 hours ago, fishtank said:

Sorry folks, I will correct myself. (I should have asked M. Moon first)

Yes you are right fishtank it is 20 THB. But my wife is ever a generous soul and always hands out 'a little for eat', as she calls it.

but it wasn't 400! So you can wind your Thai bashing hyperbole back in @thequietman ????

you are  a very lucky man to have such a generous wife, so generous with your money.              

sadly i remain single with a 1 year hassle free vietnam visa approved online within 48 hours.

If you are going to apply for a retirement extension based on monthly income (65k) just follow the rules.   You need a Thai bank account to show you have transferred or had transferred a minimum of Baht 65k from overseas into that Thai bank account during each month of the year.   

The rules are quite simple.   It's their country so they get to set the rules.

No problem at Rayong last week using money in the bank - nothing sad about keeping 800k in the bank for 3 months either. Did it myself Was accompanied by my Thai wife and her elder son.Due to a stroke 2 years ago was in a wheelchair

Alan

41 minutes ago, fifelad55 said:

No problem at Rayong last week using money in the bank - nothing sad about keeping 800k in the bank for 3 months either. Did it myself Was accompanied by my Thai wife and her elder son.Due to a stroke 2 years ago was in a wheelchair

Alan

The son or you? Serious question.

I would hope that each and every American; UK and Australian citizen who has a verified problem with Immigration due to no Embassy Letter is sending an email to their Embassy  indicating that as a result of not being able to get the Embassy letter you had a difficulty getting your extension/.  These Embassies need to know the chaos they have caused by their  uncaring attitude.

They also need to be reminded that they and only they are not issuing the letter while 80 other Embassies in Thailand are issuing the letter.

That’s why the adverts state “ Amazing Thailand “ one day they are going to ask why the economy is on the slide the truth is a lot of ex pats including myself are now seriously considering moving on not because the baht is strong ( 36.9 baht £ today ) but because every IO interprets the regulations in a different way , if it wasn’t for the fact that I have a property I would have already left to a more welcoming country . I feel for you and the turmoil you have had to go through after all these years, I hope things will work out . 

1 hour ago, gamini said:

all these years I was reading on this forum that getting a marriage visa was a hassle and I've stuck with a retirement visa, Because of the new financial requirements I found that I was obliged to apply for marriage visa. Getting it was a breeze. It took just over half an hour and the immigration officials were friendly and helpful. I only had to keep 400 K in the bank for two months and I didn't need to go back and pick up the extension a month later. A friend of mine was able to do this for me. So there is really a lot of misinformation on this forum and most of the problems with immigration are because of not having the right documentation or sufficient funds. 

Yes, it is so easy to do. For me, I use a agent and they have all my information from previous years on file. I don't have to do a thing but show up, sign the forms and walk-a-way 30 minutes later and not worry about it to the next year.

Just keep 400K in a bank and really, that is it. Mind you it take a little longer as it seems more people are now doing he marriage extension. Biggest thing in Chaing Mai is to turn up with your wife at 7a.m at the door because they will not give you a number if you are by yourself. I watched heaps of people get turned away as they did not have the wife with them.

Pretty darn simple.

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I would hope that each and every American; UK and Australian citizen who has a verified problem with Immigration due to no Embassy Letter is sending an email to their Embassy  indicating that as a result of not being able to get the Embassy letter you had a difficulty getting your extension/.  These Embassies need to know the chaos they have caused by their  uncaring attitude.

They also need to be reminded that they and only they are not issuing the letter while 80 other Embassies in Thailand are issuing the letter.

Sad fact is they don’t give two ???????? ????

Archived