Buying a second hand motorcycle with no numberplate or book,

JAG

JAG,not easy to do anymore.If it has never had a book you can pretty well forget about it.

If you are trying to buy an imported used bike they used to give you an invoice and you could (for money)get a book made up.

I believe those days are over but then again it comes all down to who you know.

I would not buy a bike without a book anymore.

If one buys a second hand motorcycle with no numberplate or registration book, how does one go about making it "road legal" again?

Forget it. There are thousands of good (legal) bikes for sale. 10 years ago, you could have got away with it for quite a while but times have changed now (even ‘in the sticks’).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, keep your fingers off the bike, no matter how cheapo it is!!!

I thought I was clever, bought a big bike, the seller had the green book, but wasn't the owner. Then he gave me the story that his friend who'd be the legal owner would come to Thailand on New Year's.

The guy delivered the bike to my house and I was thinking twice if I should take it after it turned out that he didn't have a signed copy and more and more lies followed. 

It turned out that he's a freaking liar and I was in deep shi_e for a few months. Yes, I could insure the bike in my name, but I had no idea if it was stolen!!

I had no idea how these guy and his wife ( perhaps it was just somebody he knew) cam to the bike and the book. i was furious. 

Then I drove to Korat to find a house where the former owner, a Thai woman married to a foreigner used to live. Unfortunately was there only an alcoholic who's a nephew or so to the woman who'd moved to the States many years ago.

The guy phoned the lady in question on Line, but it was impossible that she sent me a letter with a copy of her signed ID card. She thought that people could misuse her card and who knows, it might be true. 

A few more months and I could get what I needed, but it was very difficult. Even having a signed copy, a 23 year old idi+t at the transport office denied to give me the right to put it in my name, after six employees had given me red light!!!

I had to start at the beginning and wanted to freak out. But then I could get hold of a signed copy after the ID card was printed out, even when it was a bit tricky,.

I had to fight for six damn months to get my bike legal in a way that I have a new book, new license plate and it's mine.

Just say no and whenever you want to buy a bike please keep my misfortune in mind. 

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

Forget it. There are thousands of good (legal) bikes for sale. 10 years ago, you could have got away with it for quite a while but times have changed now (even ‘in the sticks’).

You're so right. Damn right. 

A different perspective;

Nice bobbed Dyna Glide on B&S last week, 290k, a third of the normal price.

Import paperwork, taxes paid, but no green book.

I personally thought it was cheap for what it was.

Plenty of old, classic, custom, and vintage bikes about of interest (ie not the norm, run of the mill) without a book that are still changing hands among the Thai biker fraternity, and sought after.

21 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

Not a good idea if there are no papers at all, but if the green book is there no problem. Due to the crazy rule not being able to change owners without a valid visa for Farangs there are hundreds of ex Farang owned bikes around.

Please read my post. It could be such a dramatic action that you'll lose interest. If you can't get a signed copy of the former owner's ID, that has to be signed after printed out, you'll only have problem after problem.

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

A different perspective;

Nice bobbed Dyna Glide on B&S last week, 290k, a third of the normal price.

Import paperwork, taxes paid, but no green book.

I personally thought it was cheap for what it was.

Plenty of old, classic, custom, and vintage bikes about of interest (ie not the norm, run of the mill) without a book that are still changing hands among the Thai biker fraternity, and sought after.

Most of my Thai biker friends do not have a green book and it doesn't seem to matter.

They're all well situated and financially secure with the right connections. But if a foreigner is trying to do the same, it's quite different.

Of course could you use, or sell the parts. 

Buying second hand bike!! Why call things with their real names. A bike/house.....could be a 10th hand but still with documents....The statement should be buying STOLEN/a denied registration by officials......

Or incorrectly imported without the correct taxes/procedures completed/paid.

Archived