Registering a new vehicle with a pink ID card

CMoldie

9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Buying a SIM card,  checking in hotels, equal pricing at national park. 

But none of these are guaranteed. If i could get it, i would take it, it's not like it costs a fortune, but the advantages are limited.

Maybe they accept it when registering a sim card

Maybe they accept it when checking into a hotel (actually they can't, because to do the TM30 they also need the passport number and arrival card)

Maybe you get the Thai price at national parks

11 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

As already stated, Pink ID card doesnt entitle you to National Park / Thai rate, tho sometimes nice park folks let people in, same as they let people with Thai driving licenses in. Watched a mate become very deflated when refused only a month or two ago, after making a big fuss about how he had one to get the stone cold 'not Thai'.. 

SIM cards, checking in hotels, again none of these things are any different at all to Thai DL or passport. 

Surely you can name 1 actual reason to get one ?? 

I've given the examples, if you disagree then fine. I understand how I’ve benefited plenty of times but why on earth would I waste any time on someone who doesn’t want accept the facts. Pink card has been accepted when DL hasn’t.....FACT.

2 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I've given the examples, if you disagree then fine. I understand how I’ve benefited plenty of times but on earth would I waste any time on someone who doesn’t want accept the facts. Pink card has been accepted when DL hasn’t.....FACT.

No you have given a single tangible thing that a pink ID card guarantees that the driving licenses and passports everyone else has can not also do perfectly the same. 

Its just one of those badges of expat elistism that some people fall into, one step apart from the amulet..

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But none of these are guaranteed. If i could get it, i would take it, it's not like it costs a fortune, but the advantages are limited.

Maybe they accept it when registering a sim card

Maybe they accept it when checking into a hotel (actually they can't, because to do the TM30 they also need the passport number and arrival card)

Maybe you get the Thai price at national parks

Checking into hotels...definitely no problem. I use a Thai driver's license without issue so a pink ID card can only help further. 

National parks...theoretically speaking, the pink ID card shouldn't entitle you to the local price because it clearly states you aren't Thai on the top of the card. However, if it does work then that's a good thing. I would certainly present it, but as with driver licenses it's most likely to work at the same places that driver's licenses are recognized but not at those where they aren't. For example, smaller national parks which receive few foreign visitors should be OK, as are many temples (though not the Grand Palace in Bangkok) and some museums and zoos, as well as many/most private tourist establishments.

44 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

As already stated, Pink ID card doesnt entitle you to National Park / Thai rate, tho sometimes nice park folks let people in, same as they let people with Thai driving licenses in. Watched a mate become very deflated when refused only a month or two ago, after making a big fuss about how he had one to get the stone cold 'not Thai'.. 

SIM cards, checking in hotels, again none of these things are any different at all to Thai DL or passport. 

Surely you can name 1 actual reason to get one ?? 

I would suggest if you are eligible to apply for the pink ID card get it. It might make traveling around the country and buying/selling vehicles a little easier. However, as I have stated in another reply, the pink ID card clearly identifies you as a non-citizen. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if park officials don't accept it - having said that, many park officials do, so there's little disadvantage in obtaining one. However, the same park officials that accept a pink ID card will probably also accept a Thai driver's license so while it's a good idea to get one, I can't say whether or not it actually has any tangible benefits when it comes to getting the local price. Although it certainly can't hurt.

On 8/6/2019 at 8:54 AM, CMoldie said:

I have heard of this combination being refused in Chiang Mai and the applicant being sent for a residence certificate.

I know this thread is about registering a new vehicle, but in February this year when I renewed my two licenses at the Fang DLT office, which is in Chiang Mai Province they wouldn’t accept the Yellow book and pink ID card and insisted on the residence certificate from a Immigration.

Other posts have stated that the main office in Chiang Mai will accept them for this purpose.

Bizzare!

I know this thread is about registering a new vehicle, but in February this year when I renewed my two licenses at the Fang DLT office, which is in Chiang Mai Province they wouldn’t accept the Yellow book and pink ID card and insisted on the residence certificate from a Immigration.

Other posts have stated that the main office in Chiang Mai will accept them for this purpose.

Bizzare!

Not at all. Its the usual story of government offices (any type) having no uniform control or policies.

Get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/11/2019 at 1:42 AM, StevieAus said:

So yet more real world evidence that it actually guarantees nothing. 

On 8/7/2019 at 11:01 AM, thedemon said:

For a retiree living a largely superficial life in Thailand without the hassles of dealing with bureaucracy on a regular basis then a pink ID card will be of little benefit.

Well I am a long time retiree with an ever declining $Aus v Thai baht.One reason I got the Pink Card which cost me 60 baht from Hang Dong Amphur office and a minimum of fuss.

Within a month of obtaining it I used it at the Hot Springs National Park at Fang.

Entry for foreigners was 500 b, the pink card got me in for 50 baht (Thai price) My Thai DL had failed me quite a few times to avoid the double pricing issue

Have used it booking into Resorts/Hotel. Without sounding paranoid I don't like my passport being copied if not in my direct view.  At the end of the day its a matter of choice

Archived