BANGKOK 19 August 2019 19:22
Aksert

Urea feed for cattle: meat and milk

4 hours ago, kickstart said:

Good advert for Cargill ,except they do not make cattle fed here in Thailand .

If you have been here in Thailand a while you may know of Sunvally , the big broiler  company I think   they where a British company, Cargill took them over and have a lot of farm in Thailand ,they have about 3 million birds in my area alone.and manufacture feed for there own farms 

Not certain if they are in to pigs in Thailand,but not cattle. 

I worked for Cargill late 90's in Calif and know they've got their hands everywhere.

18 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I worked for Cargill late 90's in Calif and know they've got their hands everywhere.

As I said ,in Thailand ,poultry,for certain,but not cattle.

Re. Using Sunn Hemp for hay or silage.

I am going to have and eat my hat here  ,sunn hemp when made in to hay seems a very god sauce of forage ,found one web sight I think trials where done in the USA .

Dry matter 93%

Crude Protein 16% (rice straw is about 3-4 % protein)

ME (enagey levales very offtern more important  than protein ) 19 (rice straw ME of 8-9)

Minerals Ca G/kg DM 14.7

Ph G/KG DM 3.6

Compare this to rice straw it is at least 4 times a better feed ,this trial with a DM of 93% ,means that the hay must have been dried for 3-4 days? ,as Farmer jo said with the short window could be problems getting the crop dried .

It seems cutting at 60 days seems best ,crop is about 3 foot tall ,storks not that hard ,should not be a problem with baling .cutting at 60 days ,a disc mower should not have a problem .

Making baled silage ,might have to wilt for 2 days ?depending on the weather .

When a very average bale  hay Pangolar hay can be can be sold for 10-120 baht ,depending on distance hauled ,this could well work very well ,even the mineral levels are high .

Late cutting the crop with seed pods on ,the seed s can be poisonous  to cattle .

Will have another look soon 

• Like 2

Re. Using Sunn Hemp for hay or silage.
I am going to have and eat my hat here  ,sunn hemp when made in to hay seems a very god sauce of forage ,found one web sight I think trials where done in the USA .
Dry matter 93%
Crude Protein 16% (rice straw is about 3-4 % protein)
ME (enagey levales very offtern more important  than protein ) 19 (rice straw ME of 8-9)
Minerals Ca G/kg DM 14.7
              Ph G/KG DM 3.6
Compare this to rice straw it is at least 4 times a better feed ,this trial with a DM of 93% ,means that the hay must have been dried for 3-4 days? ,as Farmer jo said with the short window could be problems getting the crop dried .
It seems cutting at 60 days seems best ,crop is about 3 foot tall ,storks not that hard ,should not be a problem with baling .cutting at 60 days ,a disc mower should not have a problem .
Making baled silage ,might have to wilt for 2 days ?depending on the weather .
When a very average bale  hay Pangolar hay can be can be sold for 10-120 baht ,depending on distance hauled ,this could well work very well ,even the mineral levels are high .
Late cutting the crop with seed pods on ,the seed s can be poisonous  to cattle .
Will have another look soon 
Very promising numbers from that research. Sunn Hemp growing relatively easy here, well worth a try
  • Like 1

Michael Hare can tell you but I think the Thai variety of sunn hemp is NOT good for forage (may be toxic?) whereas some of the US varieties are. There is another TV member here who I think produces seed of both kinds for Michael Hare.