Organic material to acidify soil

Hello, I'm looking for the equivalent of pine needle for the tropic. I have some plants that need acidic soil. I'm already keeping my coffee ground but the quantity is limited and there is no coffee shop in the area. Peat moss seems expensive and probably already has lime in it. What are usual organic thai way to acidify soil in Thailand?

Hello, I'm looking for the equivalent of pine needle for the tropic. I have some plants that need acidic soil. I'm already keeping my coffee ground but the quantity is limited and there is no coffee shop in the area. Peat moss seems expensive and probably already has lime in it. What are usual organic thai way to acidify soil in Thailand?
How much soil do you need? I know one farm that has hydrangea soil imported from the Netherlands.

28 minutes ago, CLW said:
1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

How much soil do you need? I know one farm that has hydrangea soil imported from the Netherlands.

I don't need that much. I have maybe 200 strawberries and about the same amount mixed between trees seedlings and flowers. I think importing soil is not a good option for me. I would prefer to find some local organic material but I'm not sure what I should use. Where I am from we use pine needle. 

Pine needles are of limited efficacy. They decompose very slowly. I have measured pH values in pine forests and below a centimetre depth or two there was no difference in values. You need to find siliceous sand (river sand) and scatter it on the surface, taking care not to finish with sandy soil. Weeding and other cultivation will mix it in with time. Otherwise you can try with iron sulphate or even magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts). Both naturally occurring products.

10 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I need some PH paper, where do you guys get it, at a pool supply place?

You can add AccentThailand on line. They provide a good service or try lazada. 

On 8/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, from the home of CC said:

I need some PH paper, where do you guys get it, at a pool supply place?

I never used pH paper for soil testing. There was the good old fashioned pH meter made from ceramic, + you needed a pH solution. Nowadays you will find what you want on Lazada, "pH meter".

5 hours ago, cooked said:

I never used pH paper for soil testing. There was the good old fashioned pH meter made from ceramic, + you needed a pH solution. Nowadays you will find what you want on Lazada, "pH meter".

Just don't buy the cheap one because they don't last. Accent Hydroponic has good quality one. This one is made for soil: http://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com/17088642/blue-lab-soil-ph-pen

22 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Just don't buy the cheap one because they don't last. Accent Hydroponic has good quality one. This one is made for soil: http://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com/17088642/blue-lab-soil-ph-pen

Good advice, but 6,000 baht? Mate I use a cheap meters on the farm in conditions that will not help the best units. Yes a year sees them out for accuracy but less than that amount will see me out. 

1 minute ago, IsaanAussie said:

Good advice, but 6,000 baht? Mate I use a cheap meters on the farm in conditions that will not help the best units. Yes a year sees them out for accuracy but less than that amount will see me out. 

When I was doing full-time hydro in Canada I bought the cheap one first ~60$ and they lasted 1 year. The expensive one like I showed lasted me 10 years at ~190$ and when I gave it away it was still working. I hate to buy cheap stuff that break when you need it. 

Archived