Tourism: An end to dual pricing? Tourism minister talks of stimulus measures

webfact

Tourism: An end to dual pricing? Tourism minister talks of stimulus measures

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thailand could be seeing the beginning of the end to a subject that angers many visitors and residents in the kingdom.

Dual pricing for foreigners and tourists.

Thailand's new Minister for Tourism and Sports Pipat Ratchakitprakarn was speaking to Thai reporters about what needs to be done to stimulate the tourism sector.

He said that prices for Thais and tourists at historical and heritage sites like the ruins of Sukhothai and Ayuthaya ought to be the same. 

High up on Pipat's "to do list" is to promote international sporting events like the Moto GP motorcycle race in Buriram. He said that hosting international sporting events not only brings in visitors but introduces the country to the competitors and their teams.

All those associated with such events would take in other aspects of the country's tourism too.

Hosting E-Sports could also be a good idea. 

The same could also be true of medical tourism as it was not just the sick who would be coming to Thailand but their families and friends who would stay in hotels, go to restaurants and visit tourist attraction. 

Pipat is also keen to promote what is known as the "Thai Riviera" or coastal areas running south from Hua Hin all the way to Naratiwas in the far south.

Pipat believes it is important to try and get tourists away from already crowded areas in the high season and disseminate their travel experience to lesser known places.

In Chiang Mai, for example, tourists should be encouraged to get away to places such as Lampang, Lamphun and Phayao. 

Looking after the welfare of tourists was his number one priority, he said, with safety of visitors top of the list. He intends to work closely with the Tourism Authority of Thailand and the Tourist Police Bureau in the training of volunteers to ensure this. 

Environmental issues are also important with the need to preserve Thailand's natural beauty and limit plastic use. He set a target of 50% reduction in plastics. 

Online applications also need to be updated, improved and readied for use as a matter of priority to ensure that Thailand keeps up with modern technology related to tourism. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-06

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand could be seeing the beginning of the end to a subject that angers many visitors and residents in the kingdom.

Dual pricing for foreigners and tourists.

Talk is cheap, i'll believe it when it happens.....

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Great thinking but first you piss everyone off with dual pricing and now you want to change that. 

Not everyone. I not piss off. 

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Good for local people get the discount.

Ah equality at its best, something Thailand is lacking, especially when it comes to tourists and their own women.

Now I won't bother explaining myself as one would have to take off their blinkers first, or go out of the country to see how others are treated as equals in most western countries, including tourists, but this could be like losing face for some, as the truth can hurt ????

Too late. It has taken a long time to create the perception that foreign tourists are being overcharged, ripped off, subject to different (higher) charges - whatever label you wish to put on it. It will take as long to remove that perception.

I'm afraid, as far as western tourists are concerned, that particular bus has left. As it pulled out of the bus station it ran over the goose which was laying the golden eggs.

It's all rather sad, but Thailand did it to itself.

So many times I have seen red being charged more than the locals. I even stopped going to parks because of this atrocity of being raped. It would be a good direction to go. They could have discounts to seniors and students and such, but as average human beings, same same, not different. 

Too little, too late, and while you are at it stop the police harassing tourists for petty motoring infractions while at the same time allowing 4 kids on a bike with no helmets to pass unheeded. or fining someone 2,000 Baht for dropping a cigarette butt while the lady next to him pours a gallon of old oil down the drain. Tourists are not dumb, they see these things, and more.

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not everyone. I not piss off. 

Of course not, you’re Thai. Wouldn’t expect you to look past your own nose to show concern for someone else. Thais wouldn’t give a toss about something unless it concerns their own pocket. Obviously the only reason this is even in the news is because tourism is tanking.

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Typical Thai logic. How about the guys on here who’ve lived here for decades? Are they not “local” enough for you?

Nothing more than a throw away line to grab the headline, the article has a lot more to say.

Not that important anyway, a few of the perpetual whingers about dual pricing on here makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

38 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, but you don't try anything like as hard as our friend "Yinn" to pretend that you are a Thai.

A Thai whose English skills are good enough to read, and interpret the nuances of the posts on this forum wouldn't himself/herself post in the comical stereotype pidgin English that "Yinn" uses!

Why is it when a Thai posts, and I can assure you she IS a Thai person, they are often grossly insulted by being accused of not being genuine? absolutely disgraceful, and people wonder why they do not stick around!

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

I agree it is. I also think tourists should be charged more, that is part of a holiday.

What really makes me annoyed is the fact that each year I pay around 156,000b / year in tax to the Thai economy and I am never allowed to enter places at a reduced rate. Sometimes it is 6 - 8 times the price what is scandalous for someone who actually lives here full time. 

End to dual pricing? 

Jeez things must be bad in the tourism sector...unless by an end to dual pricing what is meant is that the Thai price will now rise to match the foreigner price...I did read that the government was looking to raise tax revenue. 

Archived