Tourism: An end to dual pricing? Tourism minister talks of stimulus measures

webfact

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The Tiger Zoo used to have prices for Thais, Asians and Westerners. When I went I think it was 50,100 & 200, about 12 years ago and never been back.

That's even more racist. Never seen such an example in Thailand though - it's always been Thai price and foreigner price. Probably it's just Thai/foreigner price now, as you say you went there 12 years ago. Sometimes Asian tourists can get in at the local price - but usually only at lesser known attractions where foreigners are rare and locals haven't gotten the concept that Asian tourists exist. Like way out in the sticks. In places like Pattaya where there are more Chinese tourists than westerners, everyone knows that it's not 1987 anymore when you only had western and a few Japanese tourists. However, a lone Asian tourist will be charged the foreigner price out in the sticks too - only if they speak excellent, unaccented Thai might they have a chance otherwise. The best way of avoiding dual pricing for them is to go with at least one other Thai, stand away from the ticket seller, don't talk and have the Thai buy the tickets.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If there is no "world class" attractions! Then whats the problem? Are you trying to say there is nothing to look at? Why then complain about price on something not worth looking at? Or can it be just a personal opinion, and you see it like there is no world class attraction. Maybe that is based on the ever growing "Unhappiness of having to pay".

About the economics. I believe you should let the people that set the price figure that out.

One thing, though! "Savvy punters"? Do that word have the same negative pling, like "so called attractions"?

Dual Pricing in Thailand is based on Racism.

I don't do tourism so will never visit the Pyramids, Macchu Picchu, or the Petra fortifications, if I did want to I would be happy to pay a fee, but let me ask you a question If a white American is a permanent resident of for example, Jordan, is he allowed to visit Petra at the local rates? Or Egypt and the Pyramids? In my country (US) there are locals discounts for various attractions for example Japanese may feel they are fleeced going into a Honolulu nightclub but all they have to do is show local ID simple as Hawaii drivers license or a student ID card and get the local rate.  A very easy thing to acquire even if resident for a few months. Many American citizens are actually of Japanese descent and look like it too, do they get charged for their skin color? Absolutely not. Such a policy is NOT RACIST

Thailand on the other hand uses an extremely high standard, Thai citizenship, which is not racism itself, but it is is almost impossible for most to achieve, and results in creating a similar barrier. Go to Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai. I don't really mind paying the 30 Baht entrance fee as I drop much more on merit making for upkeep on the Temple but I have seen many times only people who look like me get pulled aside. Small groups of Chinese or Asians among Thai friends get a pass. The Farang who has worked here for decades gets charged, even if he is a PR holder!

There is also the nonsense concept of Foreigners have money they should pay, the typical Thai excuse. In the above example the rich Thai who drove his Mercedes to the Temple gets in free. The busload of Swedish pensioners who may have saved for years to afford such an excursion get fleeced. Dual Pricing in Thailand is fundamentally racist, and I cant get over that.

4 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

There is also the nonsense concept of Foreigners have money they should pay, the typical Thai excuse. In the above example the rich Thai who drove his Mercedes to the Temple gets in free. The busload of Swedish pensioners who may have saved for years to afford such an excursion get fleeced. Dual Pricing in Thailand is fundamentally racist, and I cant get over that.

Quite right, no thinking person can! It is a greedy and simple-minded approach by certain greedy and simple-minded people, simple as that. Thailand has gotten away with it for years, enough is enough. Once they start seeing a marked drop in tourism, which they already are re: Westerners, they may change their tune. 

16 hours ago, goldsurfer said:

It would be a "dream" if the fee for going to Ko Samet "National Park" was dropped - particularly since residents of 20 years are now charged the same as tourists (200 baht)

I've never paid it. You just take off your shirt and walk carefully past the ticketing office, getting some locals to carry your luggage for you. Look like you've already been on the island for a while.

15 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, you opinion is noted.

How do you know that? Do you have any proof, or is it just the regular try to make all Thais corrupt that is the par for many members on this fotum nowadays?

Seems like it´s only westerners that has a problem with all the things you mention. If all of them that constantly complains diappear, Thailand is not even going to recognize that as a dip. Regarding the TM30 you can just look up the try with reform-immigration website, that tried to collect 10000 signs. Now they have already seen their mistake and lowered the goal to 5000 signs, when it stoped at a bit over 3000. If they manage to get 5000 which is going to be hard, that would stand for about 3-3,5% of all westerners that are expats in Thailand. Don´t even think that is going to be looked at from the Immigration side, but they sure get a good laugh.

Depends on what level you consider poor. I consider a person that do not make a salury or an income of 20k baht a month poor, but they will still occasionly have enough to visit attraction at a lower price. Nobody asked you to pay for anybody´s new pick-up? (I hope). It´s also degrading and very unpolite to use the name Somchai, as an expression for a Thai male.

Dual pricing already exists in many places in the world. This is nothing new, and it ain´t Thai specific.

Oh, another dual pricing apologist. Noted.

Yes, most tourist attractions such as upcountry national parks hardly see a foreigner, ever. Show me where all the foreigners are herding into national parks that you've never heard of in say Tak province (a province you have probably never heard of either)? Some national parks might see 3 foreigners a year. So what's the justification for charging them more? This tiny extra amount of income is barely noticeable. It's racist pure and simple. It shows a very narrow minded and outdated mindset.

Yes, it's mainly westerners complaining because Asians are not subjected to this discriminatory practice as much because they pass for Thai. Also, we are on Thai visa. Most commentators on here are westerners. You might have some luck finding stories of Chinese complaining about dual pricing, rip-offs and other things if you learn to read Chinese and go to their forums.

20000 Baht a month isn't poor and your subjective determination of what constitutes poor in no way justifies dual pricing. If someone can afford a car, then they're not poor and I'm certainly NOT going to subsidize someone's next meal or their mia noi. Yes Somchai is a common Thai male name, just like Jack or John in the west. I'm going to continue to use it. No Thai is offended here just you are. I don't care.

Yes dual pricing exists in other parts of the world, most notably neighboring countries like Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. One difference in these countries though is: they are POOR. Much poorer than Thailand. So while I condemn dual pricing wherever it may be practiced, I have less of a problem with it in these countries for the simple reason that they are highly dependent on tourism, are poor and in the case of such attractions as the Bagan temples in Myanmar and Angkor Wat in Cambodia, the fees paid by tourists (locals get in for free) actually go towards conservation efforts. In Thailand, they don't. Plus Thailand has no equivalent of Angkor Wat.

However, Vietnam has largely stopped the practice of dual pricing, despite being much poorer than Thailand! Can you explain this? This means Vietnam is less corrupt and more friendly towards foreigners and visitors despite being poorer. Many Vietnamese would love to be able to afford a car, whereas for 1 in 4 Thais, cars are taken for granted. Big difference.

In Thailand higher entry fees paid by foreigners often go into the pockets of greedy officials. No, I'm not contributing to their gravy train and I find it highly offensive that you continue to defend the practice. You have no idea how Thailand actually works. You continue paying the higher entry fees if you want and defend the Stalinist practice of TM30 forms. However, Thailand WILL notice it when tourists stay away unlike what you think. Tourism makes up 20% of Thai GDP and this is likely to rise as the country becomes less competitive in other sectors of the economy. Already Myanmar is starting to assemble cars (despite being in ASEAN) they could just import Thai made cars but they choose to develop their own industry. As costs rise it's possible a lot of the manufacturing industries that have contributed to Thailand's economic rise will shift to neighboring countries. If tourism then becomes the only light at the end of the tunnel the only way Thailand can survive is by making the country more welcoming to tourists. Dual pricing, rip-offs, the lack of a justice system, dangerous roads, bizarre bureaucracy are all turning visitors away and not just 3000 people as you say.

16 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, it´s not. That way of thinking only exists in your fantasy, and lovely cheered on by many posters here. 

Yes it is. Only in your fantasy world is it not racist. Charging someone a different price based on the color of their skin is the very definition of racist. You might want to consider buying a dictionary and checking definitions before you post here.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

It is only discussed by the usual Thai bashers.  No one else cares.  I've been here 20 years and it doesn't bother me at all.  

That's only logical. Thai apologists are on the other side of the wall and they'd never complain about anything.

I think we need a few boatloads of rotten tomatoes to make it interesting.

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Yes it is. Only in your fantasy world is it not racist. Charging someone a different price based on the color of their skin is the very definition of racist. You might want to consider buying a dictionary and checking definitions before you post here.

You are not charged more because of the color of your skin! You are charged more because you are not a citizen of the country.

I didn´t think I had to clarify that at such a late stage in the conversation, but I guess now both you and me knows who have to check both definitions and facts before proceeding.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

If there is no "world class" attractions! Then whats the problem? Are you trying to say there is nothing to look at? Why then complain about price on something not worth looking at? Or can it be just a personal opinion, and you see it like there is no world class attraction. Maybe that is based on the ever growing "Unhappiness of having to pay".

About the economics. I believe you should let the people that set the price figure that out.

One thing, though! "Savvy punters"? Do that word have the same negative pling, like "so called attractions"?

Let me simplify it for you. There is a nondescript lake with an average restaurant. They charge you twice as much as a Thai to drive in, and that kind of bothers me. 5 kilometers father down the highway there is a some kind of ranch and another average restaurant, no open racism

We can let the owners decide the economics but I prefer to skip the place with racist pricing. Same with National Parks. I was taken to one waterfall where the food stalls were swarming with black flies and the parking lot overrun with aggressive dogs. It smelled like hot dog poo. Masochism at any price.

Good luck with attaining Thai citizenship.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You are not charged more because of the color of your skin! You are charged more because you are not a citizen of the country.

Used to be Koreans could pass as Thais at Sriracha zoo and get Thai price, if they kept their mouths shut and had a Thai buying them tickets. Had a couple of Korean friends visiting years ago and they did just that. Since a few years they check the IDs. Farangs somehow never managed to do that trick (happy to report the pink ID works there, though).

29 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Dual Pricing in Thailand is based on Racism.

I don't do tourism so will never visit the Pyramids, Macchu Picchu, or the Petra fortifications, if I did want to I would be happy to pay a fee, but let me ask you a question If a white American is a permanent resident of for example, Jordan, is he allowed to visit Petra at the local rates? Or Egypt and the Pyramids? In my country (US) there are locals discounts for various attractions for example Japanese may feel they are fleeced going into a Honolulu nightclub but all they have to do is show local ID simple as Hawaii drivers license or a student ID card and get the local rate.  A very easy thing to acquire even if resident for a few months. Many American citizens are actually of Japanese descent and look like it too, do they get charged for their skin color? Absolutely not. Such a policy is NOT RACIST

Thailand on the other hand uses an extremely high standard, Thai citizenship, which is not racism itself, but it is is almost impossible for most to achieve, and results in creating a similar barrier. Go to Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai. I don't really mind paying the 30 Baht entrance fee as I drop much more on merit making for upkeep on the Temple but I have seen many times only people who look like me get pulled aside. Small groups of Chinese or Asians among Thai friends get a pass. The Farang who has worked here for decades gets charged, even if he is a PR holder!

Exactly. That's the reality and you see it very well.

I don't know how far back dual pricing in Thailand stretches, but probably back to the 60s or 70s. Back in those days it might have made some sense, given the widespread poverty in Thailand and the massive wealth gap between foreigners and locals. Those discrepancies no longer apply today. Many Thais earn as much, if not more than the foreigners that reside in, or visit Thailand. These same Thais then travel overseas to places like Japan (which was visited by about a million Thais last year, yes 1 million Thais out of a total population of 69 million) and don't get subjected to dual pricing, because Japan doesn't practice it. Thais may have to pay the foreigner pricing when visiting Shwedagon pagoda in Yangon or Angkor Wat in Cambodia, but granted those two countries are much poorer than Thailand and if Thais can afford to travel abroad, even to neighboring countries, then by definition they can afford to pay the same fees as any other foreign visitor.

The discounts for locals in Hawaii is similar to what happens in China. China no longer practices dual pricing - everyone pays the same. However, at some attractions, locals who reside in the same district or city where a particular attraction is located may be able to get a discount or get in for free (by showing a local ID card with their address or something), while Chinese from other parts of the country are counted as tourists and pay the same as visiting foreigners. Also, Vietnam has largely stopped the practice of dual pricing at tourist attractions. Only a very small number of attractions still retain it. Given Vietnam is poorer than Thailand, what do they know that Thais don't? Oh, well for starters, their government actually values tourists and doesn't see them as walking ATMs like Thailand does. That's the difference.

8 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Oh, another dual pricing apologist. Noted.

Yep, talking to another complainer.

20000 Baht a month isn't poor

If you earned 20 000 baht, you would consider yourself poor, right? it´s about the personal definition of poor, that´s why I stated "in my opinion"

Yes dual pricing exists in other parts of the world, most notably neighboring countries like Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.

Please go back and read my earlier post, where I specify many more places that have dual pricing.

However, Vietnam has largely stopped the practice of dual pricing, despite being much poorer than Thailand! Can you explain this? This means Vietnam is less corrupt and more friendly towards foreigners and visitors despite being poorer. Many Vietnamese would love to be able to afford a car, whereas for 1 in 4 Thais, cars are taken for granted. Big difference.

In Thailand higher entry fees paid by foreigners often go into the pockets of greedy officials. No, I'm not contributing to their gravy train and I find it highly offensive that you continue to defend the practice. You have no idea how Thailand actually works. You continue paying the higher entry fees if you want and defend the Stalinist practice of TM30 forms. However, Thailand WILL notice it when tourists stay away unlike what you think. Tourism makes up 20% of Thai GDP and this is likely to rise as the country becomes less competitive in other sectors of the economy. Already Myanmar is starting to assemble cars (despite being in ASEAN) they could just import Thai made cars but they choose to develop their own industry. As costs rise it's possible a lot of the manufacturing industries that have contributed to Thailand's economic rise will shift to neighboring countries. If tourism then becomes the only light at the end of the tunnel the only way Thailand can survive is by making the country more welcoming to tourists. Dual pricing, rip-offs, the lack of a justice system, dangerous roads, bizarre bureaucracy are all turning visitors away and not just 3000 people as you say.

And then we have the popular words and expressions like corrupt officials, gravy train, Stalinist practise and bizarre bureaucrazy as a few examples.

After that you point out that I have no idea how Thailand actually works?

I have been living here for about 23 years and know exactly how it works. I also made my choice to live here, and accepted that I have ot follow and accept the country, it´s way and how things work.

I guess you just became the one that are clueless and can´t adapt to the country.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I didn´t think I had to clarify that at such a late stage in the conversation, but I guess now both you and me knows who have to check both definitions and facts before proceeding.

Actually, in practice the decision is made to charge you more based on your skin color. One would think at this late stage, even someone like you could have figured that out. Both myself and many other posters have pointed out how Asian foreigners are often able to enter for the Thai price, depending on the attraction and whether a Thai buys their tickets or not. Therefore, the practice is racism. Even expats are being asked to pay the higher price and in a very small minority of cases, westerners who have managed to attain Thai citizenship are still being asked to pay more! That is pure racism.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Yep, talking to another complainer.

If you earned 20 000 baht, you would consider yourself poor, right? it´s about the personal definition of poor, that´s why I stated "in my opinion"

Please go back and read my earlier post, where I specify many more places that have dual pricing.

And then we have the popular words and expressions like corrupt officials, gravy train, Stalinist practise and bizarre bureaucrazy as a few examples.

After that you point out that I have no idea how Thailand actually works?

I have been living here for about 23 years and know exactly how it works. I also made my choice to live here, and accepted that I have ot follow and accept the country, it´s way and how things work.

I guess you just became the one that are clueless and can´t adapt to the country.

No, you are the clueless one. You seem to imply that to live here, one must adapt to all the racist, bizarre and crazy practices, accept them and shut up. Sorry, but that doesn't fly here.

23 years here and you still haven't been able to figure out that the higher charges foreigners pay actually end up in the pockets of the officials themselves and are NOT being used to improve safety or cleanliness.

I feel sorry for you. Keep living in your state of ignorance.

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Used to be Koreans could pass as Thais at Sriracha zoo and get Thai price, if they kept their mouths shut and had a Thai buying them tickets. Had a couple of Korean friends visiting years ago and they did just that. Since a few years they check the IDs. Farangs somehow never managed to do that trick (happy to report the pink ID works there, though).

And that is just because they did not do a check, years ago. Now they do. That does not make it racist.

Just now, Matzzon said:

And that is just because they did not do a check, years ago. Now they do. That does not make it racist.

Are you like the resident troll here to shut up everyone who dares voice their concerns about a very unfair practice?

That's one place. Many other tourist attractions continue to allow Asian foreigners in for the local price without checking their IDs.

In Vietnam, a poorer country than Thailand, dual pricing has almost disappeared. Therefore what Thailand is doing is shooting themselves in the foot. No wonder tourists are increasingly avoiding Thailand and heading to Vietnam instead. Tourist numbers to Vietnam are growing by leaps and bounds every year. Give it a few more years and they may start seeing more tourists than Thailand.

12 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Let me simplify it for you. There is a nondescript lake with an average restaurant. They charge you twice as much as a Thai to drive in, and that kind of bothers me. 5 kilometers father down the highway there is a some kind of ranch and another average restaurant, no open racism

We can let the owners decide the economics but I prefer to skip the place with racist pricing. Same with National Parks. I was taken to one waterfall where the food stalls were swarming with black flies and the parking lot overrun with aggressive dogs. It smelled like hot dog poo. Masochism at any price.

Good luck with attaining Thai citizenship.

Still not racism. Just taking their chances on people that can´t say something and ask for an explaination in Thai.

In a restaurant, I would call that mean and nasty, and if you can say something they know that it´s not legal to do that if they no have open signs that states the before you order.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Still not racism. Just taking their chances on people that can´t say something and ask for an explaination in Thai.

In a restaurant, I would call that mean and nasty, and if you can say something they know that it´s not legal to do that if they no have open signs that states the before you order.

God, you are living in a bizarro world. Yes, it's racism. He said he was being charged twice as much to drive in, as a Thai would be, probably before he even had the chance to open his mouth (so we don't know whether he speaks Thai or not). Therefore he was being judged based on his physical appearance, which is racist.

I have seen experiments done in the US, (you can search it on YT) where a guy decided to charge people 4 different prices depending on their skin color and perceived wealth. It was only an experiment done as a joke in a shopping mall but most Americans, especially minorities were shocked by it and found it incredibly racist. Thanks to anti-discrimination laws, it would not be legal to practice something like this in the US. But I found it interesting as an experiment nonetheless, just to see the reactions of the locals. Basically, blacks were charged the lowest amount for a cupcake, whites in the middle, Asians the most. Ironic thing is this is actually what happens in Thailand and reflects how many people here think.

As I've stated before though, many Thais would actually like to see dual pricing abolished, not just the minister mentioned in this article. Many Thais think it's outdated and grossly unfair. And of course they're right. However, these Thais are educated people, not the ignorant ones.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

A privately run lake that I think backs up on a NP with a parking lot sign in Thai lanna script that says yee sip bhat and in roman block letters FOREIGNER 200 BAHT is not racist, as I could in some alternate reality show my Thai passport. Now to run off and marry a Thai Woman hoping my application passes the appropriate Ministry reviews before I die. 

10 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Are you like the resident troll here to shut up everyone who dares voice their concerns about a very unfair practice?

No, I am not here to shut up anyone. I am here to voice my opinion in a discussion forum online. 

23 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Fair enough, 200baht seems to be the average tourist fee for a national park.

What a local pays is not important to me, unless I'm taking the in-laws and various

kids from the village. Then 200baht a pop would be a little worrisome with the tribe

packing out the flat bed!!

I paid 1000 at the pattaya zoo family 200 each.

59 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I've never paid it. You just take off your shirt and walk carefully past the ticketing office, getting some locals to carry your luggage for you. Look like you've already been on the island for a while.

I've snuck in a few times using similar tactics ???? . That was years ago though, might be more strictly enforced now?

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, I am not here to shut up anyone. I am here to voice my opinion in a discussion forum online. 

I'm about to bow out here as I've got to get back to work but it doesn't seem like you have much to contribute other than dismiss all the legitimate concerns about this practice. You are clearly in the minority here and I don't see what you have to gain. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I respect that, but you have not made one valid argument and in fact, have avoided many reasonable points that people like me have made. Like for example, why is it that a poorer country like Vietnam where most locals could only dream of owning a car has actually stopped the practice of dual pricing (for the most part, as there are still a small number of exceptions)?

Even in Laos, a country that is poorer than Vietnam, where dual pricing is practiced it's more open and transparent than in Thailand. The difference between the foreigner and local rate is far less than in Thailand. Most places charge between 2 and 3 times more for foreigners, not 10 times more. So even there, there is less greed than in Thailand. As an example, Lao visitors are charged 2000 Kip, with foreigners paying 5000 Kip. Or 20000 Kip for foreigners and 10000 Kip for locals. 20000 Kip is still cheap though, only around 80 Baht. Also, unlike in Thailand, in Laos, Asian foreigners almost always pay the foreigner rate. Some attractions like the Khonkapeng waterfall near the Cambodian border have a sign that states: "foreigners" and different nationalities in their respective national languages like "khon Thai" "Vietnamese" "Korean" "Chinese" "Cambodian" all of whom pay the same as westerners. One could make the argument, that the Laotians are not racist, based on their charging all foreigners an equal higher rate and not allowing Laotian looking foreigners to get in for the local rate. Overall, a lot more reasonable than what is going on at many Thai tourist attractions. Also, more justified in the sense that Laos is a much poorer country than Thailand.

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

They don't let Thai guys into go go's.  I don't mind.  They don't let white guys into Japanese bars - now that's not fair!

Apparently in Japan, many attractions don't allow foreigners in at all. No dual pricing, just no foreigners allowed in. Korea is reportedly similar.

I say this practice is as discriminatory as dual pricing. Imagine the outcry if a black person was denied entry into anywhere in the USA. Yet here we are in 2019, when such practices still occur in Asia.

I remember about 3 or 4 years back there was a huge outcry when a couple of Indians weren't allowed into some bar or club somewhere in downtown Bangkok. Many westerners came to the defense of the Indians and were outraged by it.

38 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I say this practice is as discriminatory as dual pricing. Imagine the outcry if a black person was denied entry into anywhere in the USA.

Say What? This is from USA today!

67942264_2837998282896971_5045624946802294784_n.jpg.e31f85bdcf3fbb8af1abd1473a9128ea.jpg

Archived