Tourism: An end to dual pricing? Tourism minister talks of stimulus measures

webfact

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Nah, the places where it would be 1000% is very few, and not even wirth bringing up.

How about the most visited national park in Thailand, Koh Phi Phi? 40 for Thais, 400 for foreigners

Kao Yai, afaik also 40/400

Phu Hin Rong Kla, 40/400

Doi Inthanon, 30/300

Actually i think most national parks charge foreigners 1000% of the Thai price, only some small ones and waterfalls, charge "only" 500%

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

'My last shrink resigned. She is now a noodle soup vendor.' - where does she ply her trade? Dual pricing for former clients and civilians? ????

Nope, I just don´t know. Last I heard was that I caused headache, pain. Some times that my case was hurting and to severe. She have told everybody that she is much more happy with selling noodles.

When I walk by I saw a sign. Noodle Soup 45 baht (Matzzon 150 baht)

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nope, I just don´t know. Last I heard was that I caused headache, pain. Some times that my case was hurting and to severe. She have told everybody that she is much more happy with selling noodles.

When I walk by I saw a sign. Noodle Soup 45 baht (Matzzon 150 baht)

So, approx. 300% mark up then - in line with your average national park etc., ???? 

52 minutes ago, jackdd said:

How about the most visited national park in Thailand, Koh Phi Phi? 40 for Thais, 400 for foreigners

Kao Yai, afaik also 40/400

Phu Hin Rong Kla, 40/400

Doi Inthanon, 30/300

Actually i think most national parks charge foreigners 1000% of the Thai price, only some small ones and waterfalls, charge "only" 500%

That´s great! Still nothing to complain about- Either go or not go. Accept the price or stay home.

49 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That´s great! Still nothing to complain about- Either go or not go. Accept the price or stay home.

So you say other people here may not complain about the Thai government, but you complain about these people for saying their opinion. You are quite hypocritical. Free speech only if it fits your opinion?

33 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So you say other people here may not complain about the Thai government, but you complain about these people for saying their opinion. You are quite hypocritical. Free speech only if it fits your opinion?

Oh no! You are one of those that like to turn things around and try to make people believe what you say. Sorry, ain´t gonna work with me.

I said "still nothing to complain about" In other words, that´s my opinion. Not to be turned into that people "may not complain". Never stated they can´t or are not allowed to do that.

In other words, I never complained about anybody or any opinion. I only gave my opinion on the matter. In other word not at all hypocritical, and never made any wording about prohibiting free speech.

What you are doing here is stating that I can´t voice my opinion, when others already given theirs on the matter.

Now jackdd, it all backfired and got complicated, right? Exactly like dual pricing. It´s also complicated if you chose to bother to much about trivial things in life. It can turn into something that can´t be accepted or understood. 

21 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I said "still nothing to complain about" In other words, that´s my opinion. Not to be turned into that people "may not complain". Never stated they can´t or are not allowed to do that.

Now you try to prove your point by taking your own words out of context.

You said "That´s great! Still nothing to complain about- Either go or not go. Accept the price or stay home.", which means people shall not complain about it and just stay home, even if you now somehow try to twist it arround claiming that's not what it means.

What you are doing here is stating that I can´t voice my opinion

My post doesn't make any implication in this direction, all i did was pointing out a fact.

Now jackdd, it all backfired and got complicated, right?

Nothing backfired, and nothing got complicated. In your post above you were clearly being hypocritical.

You could just have said that this wasn't your implication, and people are free to complain about whatever they want.

But instead of reacting in this way, you are trying to justify yourself by taking your own words out of context, and misinterpreting my words. Looks like you are either immature, or a troll.

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Now you try to prove your point by taking your own words out of context.

You said "That´s great! Still nothing to complain about- Either go or not go. Accept the price or stay home.", which means people shall not complain about it and just stay home, even if you now somehow try to twist it arround claiming that's not what it means.

My post doesn't make any implication in this direction, all i did was pointing out a fact.

Nothing backfired, and nothing got complicated. In your post above you were clearly being hypocritical.

You could just have said that this wasn't your implication, and people are free to complain about whatever they want.

But instead of reacting in this way, you are trying to justify yourself by taking your own words out of context, and misinterpreting my words. Looks like you are either immature, or a troll.

Yes, exactly .You point out your opinion and what you consider facts. So do I. Welcome to the wonderful world of online forums.

Facts are facts. There are to many dual pricings in Thailand.

It is about fair and equal treatment. One price for everybody.

If some people want to pay more, it is ok, but as donation.

I do not believe that they will enforce it, since there are many 

locations, which are run officially by some goverment departments.

Lets see, if Thailand is able to keep a promise. Till then, still avoke

to visit these places. 

On 8/7/2019 at 9:48 PM, chrissables said:

You are in denial or stupid, but i can't call you stupid due to snowflakes banning me here.

It is (as you know, or should) not a little, but nearly 1,000%.

I can afford it but refuse to pay. Where else does it happen based on skin colour, very interested to know.

I agree with the snowflake comment

Inflammatory remark/responses removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, Matzzon said:

Nah, the places where it would be 1000% is very few, and not even wirth bringing up. Not even the one that offer free for Thai´s and paid for foreigners comes up to your 1000%, out of the reason it can only be considered 100% when it stands against zero. However, mathematic lesson over.

I am probaly stupid, is you were allowed to use you measurement tools, and that´s ok. I can live with that, because there is not only you and your thoughts in this world. ???? 

It still doesn´t happen based on skin color, it´s mostly based on beeing a citizen or not. In some cases they have a leinient attitude against fellow asians. Nothing wrong with beeing a little bit patriotic. Just take a look at the wide spread patriotism in USA.

You just justified racism and contradicted yourself.

It would be one thing, if done on the basis of nationality where everyone including Thais were asked to prove their entitlement by showing their ID card or passport and anyone that could not do so would be considered as a foreigner and asked to pay the higher price.

Although some tourist attractions in Thailand are more fair and take the nationality thing seriously by charging foreigners of all colors the higher price, some don't. The reason they don't is either due to ignorance about the existence of foreign Asian tourists, or because they really like milking the farang. I think it's more likely the former, than the latter, in most cases.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:53 PM, Date Masamune said:

You have a very strong argument about Thai citizenship.

Do you think Thailands policy of dual pricing, totally fair based on citizenship makes Thailand look backwards, progressive or neutral compared to other countries?

(The lowest of the low immigrant, perhaps through marriage to US citizen alone, contributing nothing in my country, can easily get US citizenship in 7 years or so. The only westerners I have met here with Thai citizenship were born here to missionaries. Foreign Asian women married to Thai men hardly count. Many with PR but they got it years ago.)

I searched the 2price thailand link and it got me thinking about the Grand Palace. I would not be the one to recommend anyone to not visit the Grand Palace on their first trip to Thailand, but with getting harassed and lied to by touts, to transport costs and crowds, now perhaps I would suggest GIVE IT A PASS  I think I have been their twice, don't remember what I paid but it would have been late 1990s.

Imagine if no foreign tourists visited the Grand Palace based on the pricing scheme of 500 baht to free. Perhaps they would change their policy?

Many avoid it. I think these days it's mostly Chinese package tourists that visit. In fact, at least 90% of all visitors to the Grand Palace are now Chinese package tourists.

I took some Chinese clients there a couple of years ago. Once they realized it was going to be 500 Baht, they ran out of there as quickly as they could. For them, taking a photo inside the walls was enough - it was free. Besides, it would have been like 3000 Baht for the 6 of them. I can definitely see where they were coming from.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nope, I did not.

You did. You also made an example which does not exist - that in America you are charged more based on the color of your skin. That is not true and if it were, civil liberties groups would be all over it. It would make the news and the establishment caught doing it would be named and shamed.

You also fail to understand the concept of patriotism. It's based on nationality not race or skin color. Thais are patriotic towards their country. They can't be patriotic towards Vietnam or China because they're not from those countries.

11 minutes ago, drbeach said:

You did. You also made an example which does not exist - that in America you are charged more based on the color of your skin. That is not true and if it were, civil liberties groups would be all over it. It would make the news and the establishment caught doing it would be named and shamed.

You also fail to understand the concept of patriotism. It's based on nationality not race or skin color. Thais are patriotic towards their country. They can't be patriotic towards Vietnam or China because they're not from those countries.

Pure BS

On 8/9/2019 at 7:59 AM, Fred white said:

Same as the US

Not true.  Hawaii has "kamaiana" (need Hawaii drivers license) for decades.  If you are a hawaii resident u can get major discounts on hotel rooms, golf, sometimes airfares, etc.

Archived