Tourism: An end to dual pricing? Tourism minister talks of stimulus measures

webfact

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So many times I have seen red being charged more than the locals. I even stopped going to parks because of this atrocity of being raped. It would be a good direction to go. They could have discounts to seniors and students and such, but as average human beings, same same, not different. 

Exactly, i also refuse to go to parks etc. for this 1000% rip off, leaves a sour taste when all the Thais you are with get in that much cheaper, it's the principal that counts, not that i think this reduction will ever happen though, shall wait now to get shot down by the usual snipers!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same pricing for >Thais and Foreigners<  at Historical and Heritage sites is a nice gesture.

Now  how about forcing the other 'tourist traps' to follow suit.

LEGEND SIAM , the newest "Theme Park"  just south of Pattaya/Jomtien and just before Nong Nooch Gardens ,

is offering a special for 350 Baht :

Admission + lunch buffet price/or historical costume rental -----  but ONLY to Thai's

http://www.legendsiam.com/

26 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I made sure when I moved here from Canada that I had enough money to live. Up to you if you don't want to pay, nobody is forcing you. If you can't afford to live here I've been reading on TV there are a lot of alternatives.

It isn't about not being able to afford it. I live very easily here and my salary and benefits package is far better than when I was teaching in the UK. 

To me it is all about the principal. Something which I suppose is lacking here. I have no issues paying more than the Thai price - 40b compared to say 80b / 100b is fine. But what I do appose is when it is such a big difference. 

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Never mind, just keep on crying for every single 20 baht you loose.

Not exactly 20 baht. 

Try Phuket zoo. 

Thai price 100 baht 

Farang price 1500 baht. 

(But can take photos for free)

That's a lot of 20 bahts.

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

But it's not a discount for locals; they pay the right price. It's a bloody great surcharge for foreigners, like 1000% in National Parks!

Well you say that.

I don't mind dual pricing at a government financed site because tax payers should be given some discount.

HOWEVER, private traders have no right whatsoever to dual price.

30 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I would think some of immigrants to the UK would feel some of the strongest hostility ever encountered if even a tenth of the comments I've read on TV are true. Eastern Europeans, Africans, Indians, West Indians have all been attacked and degraded on this site and from what I've read in UK news. Racism is almost as popular as a sport as football, and yet people on TV call xenophobia on the Thais when they charge more to people that earn 10, 20, 30 times more salary. What a joke from a bunch of cheap ass people. 

You clearly know nothing about the state of affairs in the UK , the burgeoning mass-immigration issues across Europe or the reality of of ghettoisation / segregation and wage surpression in the UK, France or the Netherlands or the lack of political, judicial or economic autonomy that being part of the EU entails.

If you did know anything at all other than what certain rather biased news outlets have spoonfed you or posts by armchair experts on TV! ???? have misinformed you, then you would have a very different perspective from the standard ignorant and (by this point) incredibly irritating view that all Brexit-voters are neo-nazi neanderthals that have been perpetarting hate-crimes ever since June 24th 2016.

Racism has never been 'popular' or accepted in the UK public arena, we are one of THE most welcoming and liberal nations on earth in this regard, provably so. So again - another fallacy, something you seem to be well versed in. ???? Understand the facts of a situation before commenting next time, is my advice. 

'on TV call xenophobia on the Thais when they charge more to people that earn 10, 20, 30 times more salary.' - illogical appraisal - just as the Thais would make, what has a person's (assumed) income got to do with the entry fee for heritage sites or any tourist attractions / places of interest!?!? Ridiculous claim. Many of the Thais entering such places (these days at least) would be making as much or more as many of the foreign tourists,  myself included, so again - what are you talking about? Even if your false assumptions were true, does that excuse raping my wallet for 3, 4 or 5 times the tariff paid by a Thai? Not one bit. You clearly also lack an understanding of the concept of 'fairness' or principle. Where I'm from such attractions are equitably priced FOR ALL -and- when operated by a trust or government agency are totally free (for anyone visiting) and are in fact funded by taxes and/or private sponsors.

You're simply making one erroneous point after another misconceived notion. Wake up mate.

I remember a Thai restaurant opening near me some years ago so I thought I'll go have lunch there one day I took a Thai lady friend with me sat down got the menu's, Farang menu and a Thai Menu I noticed different prices the Farang menu was loaded when I compared from 20 Baht to 60 Baht more than the Thai menu.

The waitress knew I'd spotted it, 

I just had chicken fried rice I never went back I think many other people spotted it, the place didnt last long

"The same could also be true of medical tourism as it was not just the sick who would be coming to Thailand but their families and friends who would stay in hotels, go to restaurants and visit tourist attraction."

So is he saying that if you come to Thailand with your family and friends and "go to restaurants and visit tourist attraction." then you are likely to need medical treatment? :cheesy:

The local merchants and taxi drivers need a lesson. Immigration also needs to learn how to behave better with foreigners and Stop all the red tape. Supress the re-entry permits, 90-day reports and the TM30. All this is just to harass foreigners and to give jobs or importance to a bunch of useless people.

If not, toursts and also the retirees who bring in big money are going to flee even more and the recent terror attacks will be well remembered when the high seasons start.

Racism has never been 'popular' or accepted in the UK public arena, we are one of THE most welcoming and liberal nations on earth in this regard, provably so

I've been over there 4 times and I've worked with Brits in 4 different countries so I have a little familiarity with these attitudes.  You put the caveat 'UK public arena', without it your statement is complete BS.

My local temple has just started charging foreigners to enter..

I've lived here along time & visit it almost every week when I'm in the local talat shopping, now I get accosted at the gate asking for money.... 

I stand my ground explaining in Thai I live 5 minutes away the same as a resident... sometimes they say okay & let me go in, others who don't care say pay-up to which I say goodbye and walk back into town !

7 hours ago, BestB said:

Great thinking but first you piss everyone off with dual pricing and now you want to change that. 

Might be too little too late 

Yup...the ones they pissed off won't come back.  And I'm sure the ending of dual pricing would filter all the way down to the local vendors and taxi drivers...  :cheesy:

They don't realize the reputation of Thai's and Thailand keeps going down a little bit more every year..

19 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Racism has never been 'popular' or accepted in the UK public arena, we are one of THE most welcoming and liberal nations on earth in this regard, provably so

I've been over there 4 times and I've worked with Brits in 4 different countries so I have a little familiarity with these attitudes.  You put the caveat 'UK public arena', without it your statement is complete BS.

Well, what other 'caveat' can I impose? In as much as it is even a caveat and not simply a clarification of statement. I don't know EVERY single British person, not all 67 million of us, not even close, so I will talk about the things that can be discussed - existing policy.

I mean in terms of political, social, charitable aid and immigration policy - we are and have been for many years ONE of THE MOST liberal, tolerant and welcoming nations IN THE WORLD! That is provable on many levels, not least of which is the fact that we are often the #1 destination for asylum seekers (real or fake) and economic migrants who could very easily stop in southern Europe where they enter, but instead make the desperate struggle to get to Calais and then across to either the UK or north into Germany and Scandinavia

Again - totally uninformed and erroneous points fella! And by the way I have met 4 or 5 utterly racist, bigoted Canooks over here! - Ergo: the majority of Canadians are xenophobic jam-rolls, right!? ???????? 

P--lease! 

Sorry, getting off topic now.

59 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

I think you have brought up many good points - myself as an economist it's an exciting time because honestly we have great potential for after the crash. First we have huge crash here within the next year as already huge tell-tale signs are showing

:laugh:

Admission to the Royal Palace use to be free.  It was a great day out visiting an learning more of Thai culture and its traditions.  Then they introduced a modest fee. That was OK but the difference and  high costs soon became and issue.  I no longer enjoy a visit to the Royal Palace in the company of my Thai friends. I suggest they go and look at it without me. I have already seen it after all. Many Thais have not. It is a pity as it effects the Thais more.  Sometimes I can get in for the local price by showing my ID/Licence.  But yes it begins to add up. The fees into the national parks are way to high.  Reduce the fees and I will visit more often and happy to pay the fees for my Thai friends  to join me.  What I have to spend on Entrance fees is that much less I can spend elsewhere in the Thai economy.  If I have to pay 1000THB to enter a venue that is 1000THB that is not spend on other things or in paying for my Thai associates.  A person has only a limited budget and they stay within that budget. 

7 hours ago, Genmai said:

Of course not, you’re Thai. Wouldn’t expect you to look past your own nose to show concern for someone else. Thais wouldn’t give a toss about something unless it concerns their own pocket. Obviously the only reason this is even in the news is because tourism is tanking.

Typical Thai logic. How about the guys on here who’ve lived here for decades? Are they not “local” enough for you?

43 years of living in Thailand.

Still paying double everywhere, even in hospitals.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that prices for Thais and tourists at historical and heritage sites like the ruins of Sukhothai and Ayuthaya ought to be the same. 

Let's hope that also applies to national parks.  My house is 15 minutes from Khao Yai National Park - a World Heritage Site.  For the first couple of years, I was allowed into the park at 'Thai Price' - 40 baht on production of my Thai driving licence. Then it was stopped and I had to pay 400 baht.  I complained to the assistant manager who told me she completely agreed and she was sick of being confronted by tourists, angry about being charged 10 x the price. She asked me to complain to the park authority in Bangkok and gave me their e-mai address. I wrote.

4 months later (I kid you not) I received a reply which banged on about Thai people paying taxes etc. etc. - rubbish excuse and anyway, what percentage of the population pay tax?

I now no longer visit the park - although I've been advised of a loophole.  Apparently there is some form of holy area - maybe a temple, in the park that is specific to a certain branch of buddhism. If I practice that form of buddhism, they have to let me in free to pray..........I'm moving towards enlightenment ????.

A guy from Pattaya told me recently that he was allowed in for 40 baht on production of his Thai ID card.

7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I live here.....

I do too - 90% of the time I get the local price simply by showing my Thai driving licence.

Tourist attractions should display large signs showing the entrance fee in English, Chinese, Korean whatever, with a smaller sign below, in Thai, advising a discount for local residents.

49 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Revealed: the stark evidence of everyday racial bias in Britain

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/02/revealed-the-stark-evidence-of-everyday-racial-bias-in-britain

Archived