Tourism: An end to dual pricing? Tourism minister talks of stimulus measures

webfact

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One can only hope that not only is  Pipat Ratchakitprakarn sincere in this promise, but able to get the various parties involved, to act upon it. In Thailand the gulf between a promise to do something righteous, and correct, and the actual implementation of the policy, is as wide as the distance from Bangkok to Auckland. 

They can start with the National parks. I was originally told that a Thai drivers license was enough to prove you are a resident, and get you in for the price the Thai people pay. Never worked. Now, let's see how sincere this promise is, and if there is an absence of the lack of follow up Prayuth and the Thai army are world famous for. 

Agree; didn't work for me when a local tout suggested it to enter the moradok national park in Krabi back in May 2014 (same month as the coup). I think this policy has nothing to do with the army as we all know the practice started decades ago. Could be that the army made it a bit stricter but in my experience I haven't noticed much difference; besides, I rarely go to national parks but of the few times I did, it was years before the coup and I still got charged the foreigner price in most cases, Thai DL or not.

It does seem to work at some of the smaller less visited national parks though. Saw a video made by a Thai expat from a few months ago, went to some unknown national park in Loei, he showed his Thai driver's license, made a bit of a joke and got the local price. Definitely doesn't work at Khao Yai or the other bigger more famous national parks such as Kaeng Krajan though.

I have gotten in for the local price many times when in a large group of Thais (like 20 people or more on a bus or something), in such cases they don't bother to check (or don't notice) the farang. I usually try to hide my face a little until after the fee has been paid, just in case. If in a private vehicle, the higher price is usually charged because it's more difficult to hide. All depends on the park and the ranger on duty.

MRT seniors get discount. BTS only Thai seniors get discount. You don't have to go to a national park to see the blatant racism. It's all around. I ordered a drink at the Sala Daeng station and a woman came up after me. The guy serving stopped making my drink, asked here what she wanted and had hers ready first. My solution, I will never buy from him again, ever.

9 hours ago, BestB said:

Great thinking but first you piss everyone off with dual pricing and now you want to change that. 

Might be too little too late 

Thanks! Back in the days when I was keen on travelling in Thailand, I would have liked that (not paying the 'farang price'). But nowadays I spend most of my holidays (and Thai baht) abroad (Down Under, other Asian countries), and not in Thailand, so yes, too late to attract me to these places...

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

or you could cut your hair short, man style, and next time you get same price as a man

What about man with long hair??????

Nothing is going to change as noted by so many I will believe it when I see it!

The guy got no power and here is why!  Even if he declares it what is going to happen when it actually happens who is going to enforce and what is the penalty?

Several years ago before HM, pass away and was able to do his yearly Birthday speech make statement about this problem did anything change?

The year Chan O current PM, was appointed he made a speech about the dual pricing that this practice gave a black eye to the country that was in 2014?

I heard this was an actual law against it yet it continues and continues particularly at the hospital like Bangkok/Pattaya

4 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I think this policy has nothing to do with the army as we all know the practice started decades ago. Could be that the army made it a bit stricter but in my experience I haven't noticed much difference;

Before Prayut, I could always get Thai price with my Thai D/L.

After Prayut always told no.

This is at the parks, lakes and waterfalls around Chiang Mai.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Looking after the welfare of tourists was his number one priority, he said, with safety of visitors top of the list. He intends to work closely with the Tourism Authority of Thailand and the Tourist Police Bureau in the training of volunteers to ensure this. 

So they need to get volunteers to protect tourists~the 230,000 people paid to do it can't?

4 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Nothing is going to change as noted by so many I will believe it when I see it!

The guy got no power and here is why!  Even if he declares it what is going to happen when it actually happens who is going to enforce and what is the penalty?

Several years ago before HM, pass away and was able to do his yearly Birthday speech make statement about this problem did anything change?

The year Chan O current PM, was appointed he made a speech about the dual pricing that this practice gave a black eye to the country that was in 2014?

I heard this was an actual law against it yet it continues and continues particularly at the hospital like Bangkok/Pattaya

I have never heard anyone in government or any high up place talk about ending dual pricing until now, therefore, this is a good sign. Obviously you have kept up with this issue more than I have, if the PM spoke about this issue a few years ago.

I hope that this time around, things will change. Do note why this time things are a little different - Thailand can no longer take itself for granted. There's competition out there. In this region, tourists can go to the Philippines and Vietnam, even Myanmar if they feel like Thailand is no longer a good deal.

[On a side note Myanmar practices dual pricing in even more areas than Thailand, charging foreigners more for most hotels and domestic plane tickets as well as tourist attractions]. Still, Myanmar is a much poorer country than Thailand and is only just opening up now. Thailand has had decades to address this issue.

Also, Thailand's reputation is on the line and tourism is down. One look at social media, travel websites and a simple Google search proves that Thailand's reputation is less than stellar and dual pricing is one reason for this. The government knows this and realizes it may just be time to address this issue and grow up. And they are starting to acknowledge that while the policy may have made sense in the 70s or 80s when most Thais were poor, nowadays Thailand is a middle income country so it's time to retire this dated policy.

I am not sure how long it will take to bring about this change, but it's being talked about, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Before Prayut, I could always get Thai price with my Thai D/L.

After Prayut always told no.

This is at the parks, lakes and waterfalls around Chiang Mai.

Not my experience. I have been denied a lot even before Prayut. December 2013 - denied with a Thai DL, long-term visa and work permit at Sukhothai historical park. 2008 denied at some waterfall in Chaiyaphum province although my Thai hosts paid for me. 2008 - OK with Thai DL at the palace in Chiang Mai, also at Ayuttaya. May 2014 (as mentioned) denied at Krabi (but that national park does see lots of foreign tourists).

Samet is no problem, both now and in the past you just walk past the ticketing office, take off your shirt and pretend you've already been staying on the island for a while. Get a local to carry your luggage. Worked both times for me when I visited there.

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I have the pink card and so far have been lucky using it and getting Thai pricing in Surat Thani and Nakon Si Thamarat but wasn't so lucky in Trang... one can't always win

Well that's good, but keep in mind the card does say (translated into English): ID card for non-Thais. Therefore, strictly speaking a pink ID card is not good enough to get the local price but if I had one I'd pull it out too.

3 hours ago, curious297 said:

I think that we quickly forget past stories like this:

Phi Phi park chief moved amid B30mn national park fee fraud probe

It's not that the national parks don't make money, it's just gone before it can get to the big boys up top, hence it will never stop. 

I was at the Ice Arena Phuket in Boat lagoon the other day. Some Thais driving Mercs arrived dripping with gold. Came up to the cashier and asking for "The Thai special price".  They were visibly annoyed when they were informed they have one price for all, no special discount for Thais even though Ice Arena has to be one of the cheapest attractions in phuket.

I personally hate when I take my non Thai boy with his this Thai friends to Thai attractions which then he is overcharged against the thais who pay much, much less. HIs friends read the thai price list and they all took out the entrance fee. When it came time to pay, My boy was first at the cashier, he was told it cost more for him. Even his young friends could not understand it that their friend who has lived in Thailand 14 years, must pay more. His Thai friends pleaded with the cashier but she wasn't having any of it. They decided to leave.

For their ignorance, this attraction lost 4 customers that would have spend extra money on food and drinks. Probably this episode lost them a few thousand baht however, they feel it's a win on their part. How many times a day must this happen?

Maybe start a petition like the TM30 issue. List the venue, location, Thai price and foreigner price so people can decide before they get hustled. 

It has happened to me personally many times all over Thailand that now, I no longer visit any dual pricing attractions. I even tell my visiting friends and family not to go to certain dual price places.

There is a website which lists and names and "shames" dual pricing venues, but it's not extensive enough. If I'm not mistaken Richard Barrow started it. Do a Google search.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I guess this thread is going to win the popularity of the day. What would the world be without the daily thread of massive complaints about that poor farang pay so much.

It nothing wrong with dual pricing. The thing is that we actually can afford to pay more than most Thai families. You should instead be happy to pay more of the maintenance costs in your tickets, and feel great about that you contribute to keeping the price for Thai families and their children down. With paying a little bit extra you help may children in Thailand to experience beautiful places. So, does it feel better now?

Nonsense. That's the dumbest justification for dual pricing I've ever read.

Most tourist attractions in Thailand don't even see many (or even any) foreign tourists/expats. They rely almost entirely on Thai visitors. Secondly, many attractions such as national parks have the extra money go into the pocket of park officials so this negates your point. They tell the authorities that a Thai visited, but the difference goes into their bank account.

Tourism is down and if Thailand continues with all this nonsense, dual pricing, TM30 etc. they'll be lucky if they receive any international visitors in the future.

Next is that most domestic Thai tourists are well off. I'm certainly not going to subsidize the next pickup truck payment for Somchai who reluctantly drags his kids to some water park. Poor Thais don't visit tourist attractions. They can neither afford the modest entrance fees nor take the time off work.

Everyone should pay the same price.

Or perhaps using your logic we better start charging Thais who visit foreign countries more, since using Thai logic we can conclude they can afford to pay extra since they managed to afford a plane ticket.

3 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

You clearly know nothing about the state of affairs in the UK , the burgeoning mass-immigration issues across Europe or the reality of of ghettoisation / segregation and wage surpression in the UK, France or the Netherlands or the lack of political, judicial or economic autonomy that being part of the EU entails.

If you did know anything at all other than what certain rather biased news outlets have spoonfed you or posts by armchair experts on TV! ???? have misinformed you, then you would have a very different perspective from the standard ignorant and (by this point) incredibly irritating view that all Brexit-voters are neo-nazi neanderthals that have been perpetarting hate-crimes ever since June 24th 2016.

Racism has never been 'popular' or accepted in the UK public arena, we are one of THE most welcoming and liberal nations on earth in this regard, provably so. So again - another fallacy, something you seem to be well versed in. ???? Understand the facts of a situation before commenting next time, is my advice. 

'on TV call xenophobia on the Thais when they charge more to people that earn 10, 20, 30 times more salary.' - illogical appraisal - just as the Thais would make, what has a person's (assumed) income got to do with the entry fee for heritage sites or any tourist attractions / places of interest!?!? Ridiculous claim. Many of the Thais entering such places (these days at least) would be making as much or more as many of the foreign tourists,  myself included, so again - what are you talking about? Even if your false assumptions were true, does that excuse raping my wallet for 3, 4 or 5 times the tariff paid by a Thai? Not one bit. You clearly also lack an understanding of the concept of 'fairness' or principle. Where I'm from such attractions are equitably priced FOR ALL -and- when operated by a trust or government agency are totally free (for anyone visiting) and are in fact funded by taxes and/or private sponsors.

You're simply making one erroneous point after another misconceived notion. Wake up mate.

Excellent post!

What that uneducated and uninformed poster didn't mention is, if we are earning 10-30 times more than Thais, where are all the farangs living in 10-bedroom mansions on 10 hectare plots and driving Porsches and Bentleys?

Oh, they don't exist.

Hence why what he stated is pure fiction. Fact is, most domestic tourists arrive in shiny pickup trucks and cars, which should disqualify them from the definition of "poor". And as you have correctly stated, they earn as much and often more than many farang visitors.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Every nation has its racists, I've traveled plenty and have witnessed it in many places. What kills me are these fools that pretend it doesn't exist because it's not 'proper or fashionable politically'. Sometimes these morons are more dangerous than the blatant ignoramuses who are overt about it, at least the avowed racist isn't also a hypocrite. What is really surprising (at least to me) is that some the worst nations offenders also have what is considered high educational standards. I guess that just proves that old adage of just because you are educated does not necessarily equate to being intelligent.  

why do they need to have a tourist stimulus package we have been told endlessly how tourism is up and going great and next month there will be record numbers visiting the kingdom, what dicks

Every nation has its racists, I've traveled plenty and have witnessed it in many places. What kills me are these fools that pretend it doesn't exist because it's not 'proper or fashionable politically'. Sometimes these morons are more dangerous than the blatant ignoramuses who are overt about it, at least the avowed racist isn't also a hypocrite. What is really surprising (at least to me) is that some the worst nations offenders also have what is considered high educational standards. I guess that just proves that old adage of just because you are educated does not necessarily equate to being intelligent.  

I don’t have issue with what you wrote but as a minority American even our open avowed white racists don’t push dual pricing.

10 hours ago, JAG said:

Too late. It has taken a long time to create the perception that foreign tourists are being overcharged, ripped off, subject to different (higher) charges - whatever label you wish to put on it. It will take as long to remove that perception.

I'm afraid, as far as western tourists are concerned, that particular bus has left. As it pulled out of the bus station it ran over the goose which was laying the golden eggs.

It's all rather sad, but Thailand did it to itself.

Very true.

It takes years of effort to build up a good reputation, but only a short time to destroy it.

I have read posters here saying "oh it's only 50 pounds" "it's only xx dollars". How many Zimbabwe dollars it? I haven't seen anyone talk about that yet.  Where can I pay in pounds or dollars? I have lived here for 20 years, work for the Thai government and am paid in Thai Baht.

My salary is below average ( here comes all the "change job" posters but it is not always easy to change) and many of my Thai friends are very very wealthy. We travel around Thailand together and whenever we encounter a place with dual pricing they ask for the same price for me. Often it used to work if I showed my ID card from work or driving license, but nowadays most places refuse to accept them. If I am not granted Thai prices they refuse to go in. 

The dual pricing system is also based on colour of skin. I have been to tourist attractions or parks with the kids of Thais who live in USA. These kids don't speak a word of Thai, have American passports, but they LOOK Thai so they always get into places free or at Thai prices.

Drop the dual pricing!.

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Samet is no problem, both now and in the past you just walk past the ticketing office, take off your shirt and pretend you've already been staying on the island for a while. Get a local to carry your luggage. Worked both times for me when I visited there.

"Both times" haha Keep going. You'll complain like hell that day you get stopped. 

Archived