Tourism: An end to dual pricing? Tourism minister talks of stimulus measures

webfact

43 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Nonsense. That's the dumbest justification for dual pricing I've ever read.

Ok, you opinion is noted.

Most tourist attractions in Thailand don't even see many (or even any) foreign tourists/expats. They rely almost entirely on Thai visitors. Secondly, many attractions such as national parks have the extra money go into the pocket of park officials so this negates your point. They tell the authorities that a Thai visited, but the difference goes into their bank account.

How do you know that? Do you have any proof, or is it just the regular try to make all Thais corrupt that is the par for many members on this fotum nowadays?

Tourism is down and if Thailand continues with all this nonsense, dual pricing, TM30 etc. they'll be lucky if they receive any international visitors in the future.

Seems like it´s only westerners that has a problem with all the things you mention. If all of them that constantly complains diappear, Thailand is not even going to recognize that as a dip. Regarding the TM30 you can just look up the try with reform-immigration website, that tried to collect 10000 signs. Now they have already seen their mistake and lowered the goal to 5000 signs, when it stoped at a bit over 3000. If they manage to get 5000 which is going to be hard, that would stand for about 3-3,5% of all westerners that are expats in Thailand. Don´t even think that is going to be looked at from the Immigration side, but they sure get a good laugh.

Next is that most domestic Thai tourists are well off. I'm certainly not going to subsidize the next pickup truck payment for Somchai who reluctantly drags his kids to some water park. Poor Thais don't visit tourist attractions. They can neither afford the modest entrance fees nor take the time off work.

Everyone should pay the same price.

Depends on what level you consider poor. I consider a person that do not make a salury or an income of 20k baht a month poor, but they will still occasionly have enough to visit attraction at a lower price. Nobody asked you to pay for anybody´s new pick-up? (I hope). It´s also degrading and very unpolite to use the name Somchai, as an expression for a Thai male.

Or perhaps using your logic we better start charging Thais who visit foreign countries more, since using Thai logic we can conclude they can afford to pay extra since they managed to afford a plane ticket.

Dual pricing already exists in many places in the world. This is nothing new, and it ain´t Thai specific.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, greeneking said:

Just 50 quid?  Congratulations on your wealth and generosity.

What do tou think it will cost to pay extra for take photos, or buy photos taken by other people inside?

How in the world can you start about wealth regarding 50 qiud? That will not even cover one night in a descent hotel.

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Just? That's a huge amount of money. There are many zoos in western countries that cost less than this, most probably in fact. This particular example is particularly outrageous because the difference in pricing is 15 times. 15 times! I mean, have they lost their marbles? It simply smacks of greed. You wanna pay the "50 quid" because it's nothing to you, go right ahead. Even in "expensive" Australia and America, zoos charge lower entrance fees than the equivalent of 50 Pounds, and you get a lot better value for money too!

I do not know if you live in Thailand or if your just a tourist. However, it doesn´t matter much. Everybody that has  the possibility to travel to Thailand or live in Thailand, should not think of 50 usd as a lot of money. 

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

Good for local people get the discount

No problem if LOCAL people get the discount, but the BMW driver from Bangkok gets a discount at the Doi Inthanon National Park too. 

14 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Dual pricing already exists in many places in the world. This is nothing new, and it ain´t Thai specific.

Been in Hanoi this March. Everybody pay the same at tourist attractions. In Germany also, I guess in whole western Europe. 

Question to all people they defend the dual pricing: would it be ok for you too if 7/11, BigC, Central, Robinson, etc. would ask foreigners for 2 or 3 times higher prices than Thais? If not, why?

Screw Thailand and their double pricing.

Double pricing, filthy nasty countryside, oceans etc. 

It has taken decades to reach this point, and it will take centuries to fix.

As the article points to not just double pricing. It is obvious that tourism is taking a huge hit.

And will continue to take a hit moving forward IMHO. 

IMO in this global economy Thailand cannot sustain it growth. As the global economy goes into a recession or slump. Thailand will suffer a huge blow to GDP from the lack of tourists.

Backtracking on policies will not help Thailand at this point. 

Pissing off expats and tourists is not the way to keep the economy healthy in a economic slow down.

10 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Been in Hanoi this March. Everybody pay the same at tourist attractions. In Germany also, I guess in whole western Europe. 

Ok, now we have to come to the point here. Maybe you were lucky in Hanoi, otherwise dual pricing is something very common and practised all over Asia.

A visit at Petra in Jordan can be up to 90 times higher cost for foreigner than for locals.

In India and Pakistan it can be from 10-20 times more axpensive at attractions for non citizens.

Iran is another example that rates between 5-8 times higher price for foreigners.

The temple of Tooth, Sri Lanka will charge foreigners while locals enter free.

Entrance to the Pyramids of Egypt will also use dual pricing.

Machu Picchu in Peru, will charge foreigners 70 usd, while many nearby countries only pay 37 usd and the locals go for free.

Mayan city of Chichén Itzá, on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, over­seas visitors will be asked for 242 pesos (US$12) to enter the pre-Columbian archaeological site. Mexican nationals are charged 162 pesos.

I could go on for a while, but I guess you already got the point.

11 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It doesn't pull in enough money since downturn of tourists. Expect increased fees somewhere else.

Pretty sure any prices that can be raised will be raised but one would think that option has already been employed. This may be a case of expecting the increase in volume to offset and pass the loss of the "per visit" fee. The problem is that turning around the perception that foreigners are always charged more is going to be very difficult and will take some time. 

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, now we have to come to the point here. Maybe you were lucky in Hanoi, otherwise dual pricing is something very common and practised all over Asia.

A visit at Petra in Jordan can be up to 90 times higher cost for foreigner than for locals.

In India and Pakistan it can be from 10-20 times more axpensive at attractions for non citizens.

Iran is another example that rates between 5-8 times higher price for foreigners.

Machu Picchu in Peru, will charge foreigners 70 usd, while many nearby countries only pay 37 usd and the locals go for free.

Mayan city of Chichén Itzá, on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, over­seas visitors will be asked for 242 pesos (US$12) to enter the pre-Columbian archaeological site. Mexican nationals are charged 162 pesos.

So? Some countries have dual pricing others not. Generally we can say that developed countries don´t have. So every country has the chance to act like a developed country or like a 2nd or 3rd world country. 
I have no problem if poor people pay less. But if a Thai BMW driver has to pay 40 Baht and a simple tourist from Cambodia or Vietnam who saved one year for his one week Thailand trip has to pay 400 Baht something is wrong.

i pay happy highhest many ,not important dual price suy7stem if visa idiot system ending ,this is biggest idiotlandia system visa fee what no need and no have anywere other country all world, only monkeyland idiot laww have this stupid system.

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

Just? That's a huge amount of money. There are many zoos in western countries that cost less than this, most probably in fact. This particular example is particularly outrageous because the difference in pricing is 15 times. 15 times! I mean, have they lost their marbles? It simply smacks of greed. You wanna pay the "50 quid" because it's nothing to you, go right ahead. Even in "expensive" Australia and America, zoos charge lower entrance fees than the equivalent of 50 Pounds, and you get a lot better value for money too!

I go to my local zoo (Khon Kaen) very nice Zoo considering where it is, and plenty of room for everything. It even as a water park all for a bargain price of 100bahts for locals and 150 bahts for foreigners. Some times I'm allowed in free.

Too late for all those who got screwed in the past. 

I intended to build a retirement home for us in Khao Yai some time ago. I drove through the National park; me (alien) was charged Baht 400, my little grandson of seven years of age - who was with me - was charged Baht 20. The entire Khao Yai infrastructure charged me - an alien - a multifold of what my (grown) kids and grandchildren had to pay. 

Decided to take my money elsewhere and will never go back to Khao Yai again. Same applies to many monuments, museums, parks, mini Siam, waterparks, entertainment venues etc. I've been living and working here for more than three decades, paid millions in income and other taxes and never understood, why racism is so tolerated here in the land of the chosen people. 

I don't complain and don't start an argument over the pricing as Somchai in the booth could not care less anyhow. Leave the good places to Khon Thai, eat your money and suffocate on all those unsold tickets so kindly reserved at a racist price difference. 

I wonder how these chosen people would react if any Western country would charge them up to 20 times the local fare just because they are foreign folks ............. 

This is just a propaganda piece trying to lure in tourists that don't know any better.

The double pricing at parks and such are nothing compared to the over pricing of ATM withdrawals, expat bank deposits. Strictly propaganda.

Thailand has run it's course. Plain and simple.

15 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So many times I have seen red being charged more than the locals. I even stopped going to parks because of this atrocity of being raped. It would be a good direction to go. They could have discounts to seniors and students and such, but as average human beings, same same, not different. 

I don’t have a problem paying extra, or being ‘raped’ as you do poorly put it. 

I don’t pay taxes in this country of which a small part goes to the upkeep so I can understand paying more to enjoy 

If it ever happens it would be a start, but a very small one.

For cheap Charlie backpackers and residents that take the family to the national parks most weekends it might be annoying, but for most tourists it is a minor annoyance.

I would think most get more annoyed with the taxi/tuk tuk/song theu rip-offs .

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What is the point, you support racism?

Or 10 times pricing to see a dirty waterfall is a comparible to Machu Picchu?

Archived