Spitfire in Thailand in October

nong38

3 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

The silver spit is probably a mk11 (later WW2 production) 3 blade prop, whereas the one at the Thai airforce museum looks like a post ww2 (1946) mk22 or mk24, 6 blade prop.!

The Silver Spit is a Mk.IX, the one in LOS is a late one which has a 5 blade prop...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I have not seen an atomic bomb detonated either but sure as hell from my education it would concern me . Or are you suggesting the Japanese have no education regarding WW2 like the Thais ?

Spitfires werent really the enemy of Japan. It was the mustangs and B52

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I have not seen an atomic bomb detonated either but sure as hell from my education it would concern me . Or are you suggesting the Japanese have no education regarding WW2 like the Thais ?

He's suggesting that a Spitfire would cause little or no "resonance" within the consciousness of a Japanese tourist.

Why should it? it has not got the symbolism for them that it has for Baby-Boom Brits.

The Japanese have not had a religiously worshipful knowledge of it relentlessly hammered into their brains (unlike Baby-Boom Brits).

A B29 however might give them some pause for thought and reflection.

In just one of its raids it burned the heart out of Tokyo and killed over 100,000 men, women and children:

Bombing of Tokyo - Wikipedia

Air raids on Japan - Wikipedia

And perhaps most memorably it dropped the A bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I'm pretty sure they would know about those events and the "instruments" of their prosecution.

The aeroplane......it started as a wonderful dream, but became, for all too many.....a nightmare.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Count again.......????

Right. The Spit in Bkk air museum is a Spit with a Griffon engine and a five blade prop.

Have never seen a Spit with a six blade.

Edited by jimmysjo

1 hour ago, Nevalern said:

Spitfires werent really the enemy of Japan. It was the mustangs and B52

a Hurricane would have been more appropriate, for the NthWest Thai/Burma regions

If yous ever get the chance?

- read 'Hurricanes Over Burma'  written by the actual veterans.

Hurricanes over Burma; by MC Cotton DFC

Edited by tifino
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

The silver spit is probably a mk11 (later WW2 production) 3 blade prop, whereas the one at the Thai airforce museum looks like a post ww2 (1946) mk22 or mk24, 6 blade prop.!

The website says the silver spitfire is a mk9 with a 4 blade prop

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I am sure most know this but there is already a silver Spitfire at Don Mueng. Round the back at the air force museum. And a Harrier.

Spitfire_-_Side_View_(RTAF_Museum).JPG

bangkok_museum.jpg 

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

and a bonus MIG 21

mig-21.jpg

Is that a Mark 9 ???

The silver spitfire is actually a mk IX from I think about 1954? and its just worth mentioning here that you will need to keep an eye on the web page to see if the route is going according to plan, its a long journey and there are bound to be issues along the way. A WW2 spit had a range of about 300 miles whereas this one has about 500 miles which might help with where its calling along the way, no garages at XX thousand feet!

Experienced them down the Mall and on the way back to Farnborough station a sight and sound like no other. This one I guess will have the RR Griffon engine rather than the Merlin, not compared the sound but there are some sounds that are exceptional, Spitfire, Lancaster, Concorde and not forgetting the English Electric Deltic, can hear them for miles coming and you know whats coming. When I was at work in the 1970/80s I used the 0550 out of Kings Cross Deltic as my alarm!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1