Marriage Extension Report Friday Aug 2nd

Greenside

First time at the new building.  Arrived at about 7:30 and pleased to see the car park was still only half full.  There were a few people already inside and without any waiting was given number F2.  Note: the officer at the desk needed to see that both my wife and I were there before issuing the number so, were the car park full, there's little point in dropping one of you off while you get rid of the car.  Our number was called around 8:20 when F1 had finished. 

It all went very smoothly, but here are few points that you may want to remember for your next visit:

⦁    Make up two sets of your documents in the order they show them on the list.  I only staple the passport pages together to keep them in order, but it's worth numbering the pages as well.  I once had to sit quietly while an increasingly irritated officer muddled all 17 pages up and then announced I didn't have a visa.... 

⦁    Don't pre-sign any of the documents except their forms (TM7,  Acknowledgement of Overstay Penalties, Acknowledgement of Extension Terms, before you go because they apply a stamp in which you have to do the signing.

⦁    Their stamp is 12 x 6cm so leave room on anything you are preparing.  My passport pages were all beautifully laid out with 4 pages to an A4 sheet and I was told to do only 2 pages per sheet next time to make room for the stamp.  The concept of deforestation doesn't seem to have made it as far as immigration.

⦁    400k fixed term bank deposit, with bank letter (they call it a certificate these days), statement and made up passbook from the day before, all accepted without issue.  I also took along my current savings account book and a statement as previously asked for them but not this time.  A waste of 200 baht, which is the outrageous amount Kasikorn charges.

⦁    My hand drawn map was not up to the standard they now require (although accepted without comment for the last three years).  "Oh good, now we can use Google Maps" was met with a sad shake of the head and a point to a sample drawn by someone clearly a cartographer in a previous life (see below).  I'm going to have to start doing mine now for next year...

⦁    Not on their list, but I was asked for my latest 90 day report receipt.  She made her own copies.  Best take a couple along just in case.

⦁    Lastly, If you put "Bangkok" as the Port Of Arrival on your TM7, immigration now assumes that means Don Mueang.  If you flew into Suvarnabhumi you need to say so.

Final tip:  Filling and saving all your documents as a multi page PDF takes all the effort out of printing and collating almost everything you need for your application.  If you're OK with using an online service, ilovepdf dot com is really excellent and free.  The only forms I can't find to download are Acknowlegement of Overstay Penalties and Acknowlegement of Extension Terms.  Maybe someone here has a copy?

Hand Drawn Map Sample.jpg

I know your report is for CM, so they may have their own practices there...

But FWIW, when I did my extension in late June at BKK CW....

--they did accept a Google Maps printout with hand drawn markers showing my home.

--I also pre-signed all my passport photocopies, and the officer just stamped over my sig.

--my officer wanted a copy of both my 90-day report and TM30 receipts.

But that's BKK... When in Rome, do as the Romans do... :smile:

The TM30 is on the list of required documents but the 90 Day isn't (yet?).

As you say, the office or IO can make a difference but hopefully my experience this time and her notes for future applications are a fairly bulletproof guide to anyone going in the near(ish) future.

Did my marriage extension at Chonburi today based on 6mths of more than 40k pm in Bangkok Bank. Wasted 500bht getting paperwork checked by law firm outside. IO wanted their TM7 filled in despite me using the one of their website. IO sent us up the road to BB to deposit 100bht and get a certified copy of my bank book updated despite me getting a letter from BB detailing monthly International Transfers the day before all by TransferWise with all 14 identified as FTT. 2 transfers pm.

Then passed to more senior IO for the various additional forms 4 in number and many questions about length of marriage  just 20 yrs how we met and further explanation of my 4 pensions. 1 uk state and 3 private.

Got my under consideration stamp and told to come back in a month.

Went in after lunch and was first in queue but visit to BB and completion of their form took over an hour.

I was there for the marriage extension July 4 around 7 o'clock with "all" the paperwork and was send back to do the bankbook update.It was done the day before and I told her at 7 o'clock the bank is closed.

Answer from the IM "lady" go do it now.

Just a word of warning about bank book updates. I used one of the bank book update machines and it over-printed the previous records. This was with the Bangkok Bank and they will not issue a new passbook, I explained the problem that this has as I am required to show my passbook to Immigration and they informed me that they would issue a 1 year statement that is certified by the head office of the bank. I do not need to do my new extension until November so it will be interesting to see what happens. If you are going to update your passbook then I would suggest that you do it over the counter and if it goes wrong then you can call on the bank manager and try and have it fixed.

I seem to recall paying 100bt for tge printed statement and cover letter for two months transactions,and its 200bt if you want 3 months.

As you say whichever, its still extortionate when a sitting account will have only two transactions to print......the existing balance and the 100bt deposit you made ten minutes earlier (which they say will not appear until tomorrow)

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Did my marriage extension at Chonburi today based on 6mths of more than 40k pm in Bangkok Bank. Wasted 500bht getting paperwork checked by law firm outside. IO wanted their TM7 filled in despite me using the one of their website. IO sent us up the road to BB to deposit 100bht and get a certified copy of my bank book updated despite me getting a letter from BB detailing monthly International Transfers the day before all by TransferWise with all 14 identified as FTT. 2 transfers pm.

Then passed to more senior IO for the various additional forms 4 in number and many questions about length of marriage  just 20 yrs how we met and further explanation of my 4 pensions. 1 uk state and 3 private.

Got my under consideration stamp and told to come back in a month.

Went in after lunch and was first in queue but visit to BB and completion of their form took over an hour.

Thanks for the report. I will be going to Si Racha to do my marriage extension. I've already spoken to them about the requirements regarding TW transfers and it's good to know your experience has mirrored what the IO there and the BKKB nearby told me.

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Just a word of warning about bank book updates. I used one of the bank book update machines and it over-printed the previous records. This was with the Bangkok Bank and they will not issue a new passbook, I explained the problem that this has as I am required to show my passbook to Immigration and they informed me that they would issue a 1 year statement that is certified by the head office of the bank. I do not need to do my new extension until November so it will be interesting to see what happens. If you are going to update your passbook then I would suggest that you do it over the counter and if it goes wrong then you can call on the bank manager and try and have it fixed.

Same thing happened to me, three previous lines were overprinted in my bankbook. BKKB say they can't issue a new book with all previous records, the only thing they can do is issue a new book with the end of day balance for the previous day being the the first entry in the new book. They did give me a statement printout of the offending part in my bankbook and assured me Immigration (at Si Racha) would accept this. For confirmation my next stop was Si Racha Immigration to ask them. The senior IO  confirmed that it was acceptable and added, because they require a yearly statement from the bank anyway, there was no need to duplicate the offending section when I do my extension, the yearly statement was adequate.

Have been told next time must have letter confirming marriage from the amphur.  They say they have had problems with people no longer really married still applying for the visa.

Spouse and applicant must apply together.

Immigation visit house after application accepted.

Witness to the marriage will be interviewed.

Amphur will know nothing about the marriage.........

Another pointless annoying addition to the process.  Must now do this every year.

Keep smiling if you want to stay in paradise!

Greenside, I think that pretty example map was done by the Thai architect we hired for our condo remodeling project. I think I recognize his handwriting.  Send me a PM and I'll give you contact details so he can draw a map for you to give to Immigration. Of course, you'll need to give him a rough drawing with details in English for him to produce the final product. He'll probably charge just a few thousand baht for a simple one page map.  

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I know your report is for CM, so they may have their own practices there...

I love your statement...translated in my mind: Visa Russian roulette!  Or a hopeless lottery.

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Everything is pointing to using an agent, sorry but that is true, you may as well get used to the idea because otherwise you won't get what you want.

The whole point in this whole "changing the rules" exercise was to force more people to use agents, which means more tea money. Even a mug could see that TI wouldn't kill the golden goose by trying to deter the use of agents. Only the rose coloured specs brigade would swallow that rubbish.

Great report, very informative as always.

One question I do have is what time do people start queuing up in the mornings as I would like to get in there quickly and early this coming Saturday for my TM30. 

Also interested in knowing how to get the TM 30 online reporting set up for me so I don't need to visit again next time 

Thanks all

27 minutes ago, stament said:

Great report, very informative as always.

One question I do have is what time do people start queuing up in the mornings as I would like to get in there quickly and early this coming Saturday for my TM30. 

Also interested in knowing how to get the TM 30 online reporting set up for me so I don't need to visit again next time 

Thanks all

I'd be really surprised if there is any significant wait involved to have your TM30 done.  If there were only a couple of dozen people there on a Friday at 7:30 I think you'll be fine at the weekend.

Wow, when i read all these posts it is obvious that the issues all revolve around IO having a free hand as to interpretation of the relevant rules, lets have a printed requirement and make the job easier for all, but less lucrative i think.

11 hours ago, greeneking said:

Have been told next time must have letter confirming marriage from the amphur.  They say they have had problems with people no longer really married still applying for the visa.

Spouse and applicant must apply together.

Immigation visit house after application accepted.

Witness to the marriage will be interviewed.

Amphur will know nothing about the marriage.........

Another pointless annoying addition to the process.  Must now do this every year.

Keep smiling if you want to stay in paradise!

All this hysteria about the difficulty of getting a marriage extension is a bit OTT.  With a little organisation it's not hard and once you have done it, subsequent years just need some minor updates.

Just to address the post above:

letter confirming marriage from the amphur - A letter, really?  I think they are asking for the Kor Ror 2 which is #3 on their documents list.  It costs 20 baht and they give it to you after the computer confirms there is no divorce on record.  Process takes about 10 minutes.

Spouse and applicant must apply together. - Don't see this as other than logical.  Unless you speak good Thai you need someone there to give the IO extra details if they ask.

Immigration visit house after application accepted - I don't love the idea of this either, but it doesn't happen to everyone by any means.  I know of only one friend who was visited and it was not the kind of Stasi invasion you're imagining.  When you apply, dress well, be charming and remember to shave.

Witness to the marriage will be interviewed. - I find this hard to believe unless you presented a Marriage Certificate with the ink still wet.  There is no requirement for a witness when you marry here so there's the let out.

Amphur will know nothing about the marriage......... - Yes, they will.

I'd be the first to agree that the whole process is riddled with irritating and badly thought through rules (tell me again why can't we use that Google map?) but CM Immigration has pulled itself together at last and at least doing the applications is not the ordeal of a few years ago.

Now, if only they'd devalue the baht by about 20%....

6 minutes ago, Almer said:

Wow, when i read all these posts it is obvious that the issues all revolve around IO having a free hand as to interpretation of the relevant rules, lets have a printed requirement and make the job easier for all, but less lucrative i think.

You'll learn that Immigration Officers, Policemen, Amphur officials and many "front of house" employees in Thailand are given discretion when it comes to interpreting the rules they are there to enforce.  Some, more cynical than I, might suggest that this policy is nothing more than a cheap ploy to make them feel more important in lieu of proper wages with the bonus of an easy route to a regular supply of brown envelopes.  I couldn't possibly comment.

Agents tend not to want to do Marriage extensions as there are few shortcuts and they are all reviewed at Bangkok HQ leaving little room for local arrangements. However the financial advantages of Marriage extensions make it well worthwhile to persevere.

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

I'd be really surprised if there is any significant wait involved to have your TM30 done.  If there were only a couple of dozen people there on a Friday at 7:30 I think you'll be fine at the weekend.

Does it open on 0730 on Saturdays does anyone know? 

I've never heard of anyone being asked for this.  Also, as I said above, it's not a legal requirement to have a witness present at your marriage so I can't see how they could possibly expect you to come up with one.  I wouldn't worry about it.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Everything is pointing to using an agent, sorry but that is true, you may as well get used to the idea because otherwise you won't get what you want.

I did my marriage extension in June, no agent, no issues either but it sometimes requires paying attention to some details, even if it sounds stupid and insignificant.

Now, using an agent starts to be the norm in other countries than Thailand. In Australia, it's even an immigration lawyer that you need. When you pay 10000$ for a visa, I guess paying another $2000 for a lawyer is a minor thing (that's just to put things in a financial context compared to the mere 2000 THB we pay here).

Archived