1Gbps True - Streaming of HD Video - True Gigatex Fiber Router

Joedobbs

So, I am upgrading to the 1GBPS offer on True, however I am sceptical I have made the right decision. Currently I have 100mb download and 50 mb upload, this is clearly not enough for IPTV - My IPTV provider is in UK and Spain and the speeds to those countries are much less from True.

So I have gone to the shop and I have asked to upgrade to the 1GBPS gigatex fiber router. I am still not confident this will improve the streaming of IPTV as it seems that the problem is when it connects to servers outside of Thailand, where the speed is drastically reduced.

Does anyone have any comments regarding this 1gbps gigatex option from True?

Thanks

I have upgraded to True 1gbps since early this year. I notice speed is more stable ever since i change to a better router (rt 86u).

Netflix, Kodi all is working well after i changed a router. Their free router is very poor.

42 minutes ago, Joedobbs said:

Does anyone have any comments regarding this 1gbps gigatex option from True?

All speeds quoted in Thailand are within Thailand. Speeds to outside Thailand will be less, and usually a lot less.

That said, I would expect 100/50 to be adequate for most IPTV uses, except perhaps high definition.

What results do you get when doing a speed test to the UK and Spain, which you mention as being the sources of your IPTV? Most speed test sites allow you to select the location of the remote server.

50 minutes ago, damen said:

I have upgraded to True 1gbps since early this year. I notice speed is more stable ever since i change to a better router (rt 86u).

Netflix, Kodi all is working well after i changed a router. Their free router is very poor.

When you connect to Netflix in Thailand, you're likely connecting to a local or regional server, not a distant international one. So that's not a very good measure of how True's new 1 GB service handles international speeds.

As for the router, you're still having to use True's fiber modem/router in order to get their service, before their signal can get passed along to your ASUS RT-AC86U, right?

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

All speeds quoted in Thailand are within Thailand. Speeds to outside Thailand will be less, and usually a lot less.

That said, I would expect 100/50 to be adequate for most IPTV uses, except perhaps high definition.

What results do you get when doing a speed test to the UK and Spain, which you mention as being the sources of your IPTV? Most speed test sites allow you to select the location of the remote server.

As KK said, what Thai ISPs give you in terms of international speeds is an entirely different and separate matter from what plans and speeds their offer for domestic connections. Their advertised plans and plan speeds ONLY pertain to what they can provide domestically.

But beyond that, regular HD video streams typically only need a stable stream of about 5 Mbps or so....and 20-25 Mbps for 4K, which is still pretty rare in the streaming world. So if your connection now can't provide a stable 5 Mbps internationally, that's not good.

I tested this recently with my 3BB fiber service in BKK.... First I had their 500 Mbps plan, and ran a whole series of streaming type speed tests to the U.S. for that, and then switched to their 200 Mbps plan, and re-ran exactly the same battery of tests and measurements. Result, no better speeds to the U.S. with their more expensive 500 Mbps plan than their cheaper 200 Mbps plan provided. So I've stayed with the 200 Mbps plan, and notice absolutely no difference.

1 hour ago, Joedobbs said:

I am still not confident this will improve the streaming of IPTV as it seems that the problem is when it connects to servers outside of Thailand, where the speed is drastically reduced.

Try another IPTv provider. I can run mine of 100mbps no problem, even a 10mbps 4G connection works.

So, I am going to try to directly connect to my router via ethernet and hope that improves things. I get that the speeds are to Thai and regional servers, still sucks that they can be so greatly reduced to external servers.

I just now did a speed test from speedtest.net and selected a Vodafone UK server in London and it gave me a very high ping of 192 - Download of 211 Mbps and upload of 14.83 Mbps. These seem like decent speeds for iptv so not sure why its not working and just buffering....

Then on another website with a London server it's giving me 2.9 Mbps......ridiculous. Is there anything that can be done?? Proving to be inconsistent as at the 4th retest it's gone up to 7 mbps.....and then 36mbps.....Will connecting via ethernet improve this?

On the Bangkok server I am getting the following results: Ping 4 - Download 398 Mbps and upload 114 Mbps

If anyone is successfully using an IPTV service please private message me. Also please comment if you think you can help with my current issue. I have the upgrade coming, which if is not going to improve my situation I wonder if I should cancel. It's not too expensive as 899 for 1 gbps seems decent no?

Thanks. 

Silly question but are you sure it is the internet speed ?

I only watch IPTV for years, the Android box [is older and only Android 6]  sometimes will give a lot of buffering, yet can watch the same on my PC perfectly with NO buffering + using Bluestacks [android on PC program] 

Been using TRUE for past 16 years, there latest deal signed up for another year last week.. 300/100 for 452 baht per month, that is a few baht cheaper than last years deal on 100/50

10 hours ago, Joedobbs said:

a very high ping of 192

Ping is dependent on distance. A ping to London from here will always be around 200.

Download of 211 Mbps and upload of 14.83 Mbps. These seem like decent speeds for iptv

That would be at least 10 times more than you need for IPTV (unless you were trying to stream some sort of super-ultra-HD signal).

Then on another website with a London server it's giving me 2.9 Mbps

Sounds like your routing is a bit erratic. Very common with Thai ISPs.

Will connecting via ethernet improve this?

Ethernet is always preferable to wifi but if you can get 211Mbps over wifi from one server connecting via ethernet will not help the speed from another server.

If anyone is successfully using an IPTV service please private message me.

TVMucho works without any buffering for me. Their speedtest shows about 5-10Mbps depending on the time of day.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, damen said:

You changed "a" router. How man routers are there?

Please explain why True's router is poor and what makes it poor. Also, how would a router affect the way an app operates if it's supplying more than adequate speed for the app to properly work?

On 8/9/2019 at 11:08 PM, somchaismith said:

You changed "a" router. How man routers are there?

Please explain why True's router is poor and what makes it poor. Also, how would a router affect the way an app operates if it's supplying more than adequate speed for the app to properly work?

I think True is not that great. Maybe, if I was into watching more tv I'd think differently. As far as speedy wifi or a direct connection, 3BB seems to be great! Their call center is also better IMO.

Archived