TAT ties up with local start-ups to woo Nordic tourists

snoop1130

Simply not going to happen. Sure, some Nordic ex-pats seem to like Hua Hin. But, most tourists have abandoned Thailand as a destination. Take Phuket. Used to be a lovely island. Now, the place is horrendous. If you find some isolated coastal spots, north of the airport, it can be beautiful, as the Andaman is amazing. But most of the island is a blight zone, terribly overpriced, filled with undesirable tourists, and just not offering much of interest, on any level.

Sure, they can increase tourism. But, the big spending Western tourists are gone for good, and the wealthy Chinese and Indians avoid Thailand, for a dozen good reasons. 

Thailand has shot itself in the foot too many times, and is now crippled, in terms of tourism. There is no coming back from this. The damage has been done. 

Most Scandi flights are long haul...often not direct. Arrive finally to find huge queues at the airport, finger print biometrics etc. Then as they travel these exotic outlying destinations don't they have to constantly have to submit (or the accommodation owner does) the TM30 for their "safety"?

Pollution and crappy beaches, no alcohol sales at certain hours!

Not very attractive. 

1 hour ago, outsider said:

I don't like farang... I want Chinese... I want Indians... err... no hap Chinese and Indian people come? Ok try farang again... don't worry, they won't know we don't like them. No internet in Scandinavia. Not same Europe, UK and US. Good luck, Thailand.

In all its shameless flitting from one market to another, there isn't even a single instance when these gits stopped and looked at the real problem - themselves. The strong baht notwithstanding, Thailand is old. Tired. Same same every time. Then they allow crap like scams, two-tier pricing, lack of safety and security, police harassment and thuggery to fester. Topped with a constant rhetoric that looks at foreigners with disdain.

Last but not least, I always maintain that Thais, on their own, are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Staff your hospitality industry with real Thais. Not with the low-life bottom-feeding pond-scums you have now.

Excellent summary of the situation. I've observed this for a few decades now...rather than deal with the genuine complaints that tourists have they just turn their backs on that particular group and "woo" another.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Take Phuket. Used to be a lovely island. 

Made me chuckle sometime in 2008 or 9 I think when I first visited, every little boat at Karon that went by was flying a Swedish flag. Nice little scandi colony, it was indeed quite nice and relaxed. I guess it's Russian and Chinese warships now.

The Vikings are NOT coming. 

No rape and pillaging this season. 

The locals (in Pattaya) say they go, maybe back in November. 

So more than six months after they nearly all left.

But its thai thinking. 

Just like they never think about tomorrow. 

Because it never comes...

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Most Scandi flights are long haul...often not direct. Arrive finally to find huge queues at the airport, finger print biometrics etc. Then as they travel these exotic outlying destinations don't they have to constantly have to submit (or the accommodation owner does) the TM30 for their "safety"?

Pollution and crappy beaches, no alcohol sales at certain hours!

Not very attractive. 

So, if they ever do return,  it's going to be a case of scan the Scans at the airport....????

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Pleeeeeeze "Woo" anyone other than the large Asian continent that you are now wooing ! Last week, shortly after midnight, I encountered 8 of them urinating in the MIDDLE of the road on Soi 4 in North Pattaya. There is no way that 8 men could be in such dire need simultaneously, this is pure lack of respect ????

Marking their territory. 

Like dogs do, when they detect a bitch on heat.

Actually TAT should think about having international tourists weeks.

One week have festivals for Brits.

One week for Scandinavians.

One for Australians.

Etc. Etc.

Display the country and its foods, and traditional stuff.

Let the locals see what the nationalities are about. 

It would go a long way towards making everyone understand the other nationalities. 

And just might boost the tourists enough to get them back. 

It's called make them feeling welcomed. 

Make them want to come again. 

Oh, and maybe throw in some perks.

Visa free entry.

Express clearance. 

No police hassles. 

No double standard prices.

Hey it might work!!!

(You can thank me later)

On 8/6/2019 at 7:31 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

Nordic travelers used to come back year after year because it was cheap and friendly, that has unfortunately changed. But sure, a few still do a stop over a few nights on their way to their new cheap and friendly destinations, Phillipines, Vietnam, Bali etc.

Yes they stop in to visit their lawyers to see if they might get any money back they got scammed out of then go to another country to spend their money. 

58 minutes ago, Bangkokazy said:

Thailand is used up. all fine thai ladies already live in europe. Why should we go to a dairy country ... When we are doing well in Europe.

Well there's a new theory. Looking at what's on display in beer bars these days, you might be right, maybe the stock has been used up.

Archived