Falling! (Aging related)

Jingthing

Fairly recently I fell walking on a road. I had some bloody injuries (healed by now) that were thankfully not too serious but of course could have been.

Yes falls even kill many people. 

As someone that is getting older I am already aware of how serious falls can be. In case of falling or a pattern of falling, an important thing to determine is whether the falling is related to a mechanical situation or is related to the person's medical condition.

Well the pedestrian situation in Pattaya is very rough. Hazards everywhere. In this case it was very obvious to me that the fall was a mechanical situation. One of my sandals was not on tight enough and the sandal simply got caught up on a rough spot on the road. 

If it's determined to be medically / aging related there are things to look at that might help (such as changing medications, correcting vision, etc.). 

That said, this falling accident has heightened my awareness of the hazards of falling. I saw this article today that I think covers the issues well. 

A couple of things struck home.

Falling (if not mechanical) can be caused my many complex medical factors. Just getting older isn't it. The article details the various factors.

Then there is the fear factor. If you've had a bad fall a typical reaction is to become fearful about being as active as before. If you don't walk around the streets as much, then your risk of falling is less. Sounds logical, right? Well, not exactly. Because then you are giving up needed physical activity.

Then there is question of walking. According to the article which does make sense walking isn't actually an activity that will help condition you to prevent future falls.

Activities like Tai Chi are. This gives me appreciation for when I've seen groups of older Chinese people doing that, but I haven't seen that here.

So I'm posting because based on my personal experience (which was more or less a close call, it could have been so much worse) I think more awareness of this risk might help others.

https://cuencahighlife.com/is-falling-inevitable-simple-steps-to-stay-steady-on-your-feet/

Is falling inevitable? Some simple steps to keep seniors steady on their feet

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

It's a jungle out there, you be careful....

Me and everyone else.

As I think my fall was mechanical, I am considering switching from my beloved beach resort SANDALS to something more sturdy like sneakers. 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Me and everyone else.

As I think my fall was mechanical, I am considering switching from my beloved beach resort SANDALS to something more sturdy like sneakers. 

Yeah, it's a massive decision, maybe even go for some trekking boots?

Mechanical falls, they're the worst...

11 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Yeah, it's a massive decision, maybe even go for some trekking boots?

Mechanical falls, they're the worst...

The ugly truth is that my fall probably wouldn't have happened even in sandals if I had paid more attention to putting them on more snugly. Perhaps that was age related, that I didn't. But of course as long as I keep wearing sandals at least I've learned my lesson about that. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The ugly truth is that my fall probably wouldn't have happened even in sandals if I had paid more attention to putting them on more snugly. Perhaps that was age related, that I didn't. But of course as long as I keep wearing sandals at least I've learned my lesson about that. 

You should maybe have a sandal checklist prior to leaving the house?

Personally I don't like sandals when out and about because it leaves bare skin vulnerable to hazards and filth, and both combined, and in a developing country...  Learned my lesson in my youth while traveling in India.  Some things only need to happen once for the message to be delivered.  Something about wet floors in SEA, I've long suspected there is some sort superstition about it, that it brings good luck or keeps bad spirits away or something, Malaysia and Indonesia in particular.  IMO wearing anything other than no-slip boating shoes betrays some sort of a death wish.  Give them a good oiling up when you buy them and they'll last for years.  And they can be re-soled.  Slip on and off easily for entering houses, airport check-in, etc and they qualify as shoes (as opposed to casual sandals).

noslip.jpg.bce225daad5fcdfae60275ff1b6f26a0.jpg

Former MIL survived WWII as a single mom in Germany, buried three husbands, survived a son who died of a combination of alcoholism and as_hole-ism.  I used to call her the old woman at the end of the world who will survive us all.  One day she was clearing the snow from her walkway, slipped and broke her hip, and a few weeks later she was gone.  I think she was 92.  I don't know about the statistics but I've heard lots of personal stories of elderly relatives who died subsequent to a fall.

JT, I recall you saying you would never live in Buenos Aires.  Smart thinking!  Between the doggie-doo and sidewalks made of oblong concrete pieces that tend to come lose and become booby traps...

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Activities like Tai Chi are. This gives me appreciation for when I've seen groups of older Chinese people doing that, but I haven't seen that here.

Years ago (in 2004), I saw Tai Chi groups practicing in Benjasiri park every day.

Thoughtful post - thank you.

I see Tai Chi classes in Lumpini Park most weekends.   

There's also the impact of ageing on static balance.  I can still ice-skate, ski, rollerblade, cycle and ride an in-line long-board, but can't stand on one leg with my eyes shut!

Dynamic balance is still OK, but static balance is now useless.  

Thailand, Vietnam, et al are trippers paradise. Uneven sidewalks, drainage coverings missing, level changes, the list goes on. Can be quite dangerous, especially at night. Have to constantly be watching, looking down at the sidewalks to see where you are going. Very easy places to get injured. I have tripped many times myself, and observe others doing the same.

Another thing is if you have slippery soles on footwear, the sidewalks become treacherous when wet with the smooth pavers of the sidewalk surfaces. Much prefer asphalt sidewalk paving that isn't slippery when wet.

Problem is you also have to look up so that the end of an awning pole doesn't take one of your eye's out. I quit wearing those sandals a long time ago, too many trips on stairs, sidewalks you name it. I feel now in my mid 60's its my main danger of injury.

when i was new in thailand, i could barely walk at all

in flip flops, they would just come off.

it might be your memory how to walk is wittering away,

as with any other function higher then breathing.

anyway you arent a tourist any longer so why not dress

in leather shoes ?

I've gotten obsessed about falling. Every day I'm out for an afternoon walk and I spend every moment looking down at the treacherous sidewalks. My friend says "Why's that guy got a machete? What a cute Russian baby! That motorcyclist just went under a bus!". I miss everything.

Bangkok Bank do a PA Senior Accident cover ...top cover is 5K/year ... google it ...you get a card and show it to the hospital and they claim direct...or if the hospitsl/clinic don't recoginise it you need to claim back yourself.

They paid my series of 3 injections etc when I cut myself on a rusty nail...

20 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Bangkok Bank do a PA Senior Accident cover ...top cover is 5K/year ... google it ...you get a card and show it to the hospital and they claim direct...or if the hospitsl/clinic don't recoginise it you need to claim back yourself.

They paid my series of 3 injections etc when I cut myself on a rusty nail...

You can get 200k cover at Bangkok Insurance (NOT Bangkok Bank) up to I think age 80-85

On 8/7/2019 at 5:33 AM, Sheryl said:

You can get 200k cover at Bangkok Insurance (NOT Bangkok Bank) up to I think age 80-85

In Chiang Mai, the Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank offers this excellent Bangkok Insurance policy because they serve so many elderly expats.  Since there is no deductible or copay and the local private hospitals accept it without the need for you to file a claim, it's very handy for the various minor accidents you encounter, especially as you get older -- twisted ankles on the sidewalks, song thaew that takes off before you've fully disembarked, kitchen injuries that require stitches, etc.    

They say that falling over is a good way to tell if people perceive you to be young or old

If they laugh---you are young

If they run to help you----you are old.

My mother never recovered from a fall she had. It was 3 years afterwards that she died but could never walk without the aid of a frame again and steadily went downhill until she needed carers twice a day towards the end.

As people have said...be careful out there, especially on Thai pavements...if you can call them that.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:25 PM, Jingthing said:

Me and everyone else.

Interesting topic, useful also.

I had a couple of light falls earlier this year, no harm done fortunately, uneven surface, perhaps not paying enough attention.

I prefer sandals but actually considering changing to wearing sneakers.Already have some but sandals are more convenient.

I am 75 and I had a fall about 6 weeks ago when I caught the heel of my sandal on the last step before the road. I fell onto my left side and my left shoulder and arm took the brunt of it. I went to the hospital next day for Xrays and nothing was broken or damaged but my shoulder and the muscles still hurt.

When I go down steps now I go down more slowly and I go sideways making sure of my footing at each step.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:25 AM, Jingthing said:

I prefer sneakers for walking. I simply cannot walk one mile in sandals.

Falling is a mental and physical problem.

As you get older you get a little more careless in selecting when you put your foot, tire easier and tend to not lift your foot high enough, and your balance becomes worse, so you are less likely to recover from a miss-step.

Then when you fall, your bones will probably be less dense, your muscles supporting the bones will be weaker, and your weight will be higher, making a break more likely.

Hiking and cycling regularly can help prevent (or lessen) all these problems as you age.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

When I go down steps now I go down more slowly and I go sideways making sure of my footing at each step.

yeah, with steps first thing I do is look for a hand rail in the absence of which whomever I'm with usually lends a hand...tiny granddaughter propping up her 100kg falang grandfather, etc...

Yes, falling is something I'm very aware of, & because of my hip replacement, I do actually worry a lot.

I bought these about 18 months ago, they are very strong & stable. Comfortable too. I might buy a walking stick/cane, if my vanity permits.

Ordered through Amazon, & Inc tax etc, came to a shocking 7k baht! I will definitely buy them again though.

In my parents last few years, they had some nasty falls. Saddens me so much to think about them.

IMG_20190812_104923.png

Archived