Falling! (Aging related)

Jingthing

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Iodine is available cheap from 7/11 for all minor open wounds (that red stuff they put on our knee grazes as kids)

Liquid betadine

Hydrogen Peroxide, will sting, but cleans all the crap out 

1 hour ago, oscarsmum said:

If you prefer sandals try a pair of Ecco walking sandals. I've had bilateral knee replacements and my balance is stuffed. The Ecco sandals are very good for my confidence. They are pricey but worth it for the support and grip of the sole in the wet or sand. Good luck.

Which ones do you have & from where did you buy them please?

59 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I do 50 minutes gym on daily basis, but that is my choice for many reasons

Sensible shoes, not sandals

Core strengthening exercises

Balance techniques exercises

Thai Chi 

Weight resistance exercises so keep muscles toned

Exercise for hip abductors and adductors

Leg lifts for thighs 

I couldn't get any sound from this video.

13 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

Bactroban ointment. Available at most any pharmacy.

pkebb711pbbceXjX56xF-o.jpg

Not the same. Look it up.

I know already about what's available in Thailand.

It's not the same. 
Neosporin and related brands is a specific thing that are the go to wound thing in the U.S. Why would the same thing not be available here? I understand with some fancy scrips but that stuff is BASIC!

5 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

You're being very rude, people are trying to help you for goodness sake...

If you say so.

I don't need such help as I've been here over a decade and I'm aware of the products here. I'm asking specifically about NEOSPORIN. It's a SPECIFIC thing and there is a good reason it's so popular globally and I don't understand why they don't have it here with any branding.

This is probably a Sheryl question, if she even knows. I've asked several pharmacists talking about the difference in properties to what's sold here and none have had the beginning of a clue. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, Jingthing said:

The ugly truth is that my fall probably wouldn't have happened even in sandals if I had paid more attention to putting them on more snugly. Perhaps that was age related, that I didn't. But of course as long as I keep wearing sandals at least I've learned my lesson about that. 

Please stop now

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

If you say so.

I don't need such help as I've been here over a decade and I'm aware of the products here. I'm asking specifically about NEOSPORIN. It's a SPECIFIC thing and there is a good reason it's so popular globally and I don't understand why they don't have it here with any branding.

Rude again....

Have you been looking for NEOSPORIN for the whole decade you've lived here?

Maybe they have some NEOSPORIN in latin america, another MASSIVE incentive to re-locate there, when you off again?

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Rude again....

Have you been looking for NEOSPORIN for the whole decade you've lived here?

Maybe they have some NEOSPORIN in latin america, another MASSIVE incentive to re-locate there, when you off again?

I'm sure they do have it there.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.co/MCO-479824415-neosporin-antibiotico-original-unguento-050-oz-paquete-de-_JM?quantity=1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you say so.

This is probably a Sheryl question, if she even knows. I've asked several pharmacists talking about the difference in properties to what's sold here and none have had the beginning of a clue. 

So now you know more than pharmacists?

There really is no end to your knowledge...

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm asking specifically about NEOSPORIN. It's a SPECIFIC thing and there is a good reason it's so popular globally and I don't understand why they don't have it here with any branding.

Yup, that is one of the things I stock up on annually on my trips to the US. Never seen it for sale anywhere, and not sure why not. It's fantastic and so much better than anything else sold in Thailand.

Back to falling, I have an older farang friend who lives alone, and tells me his biggest worry is falling in his condo and nobody will discover his body until things get ugly. 

4 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

So now you know more than pharmacists?

There really is no end to your knowledge...

I definitely know more than the pharmacists I've talked to about Neosporin. It's a simple matter of looking up the ACTIVE CHEMICALS and what they actually DO in the different things to easily know that Neosporin is NOT the same as what's sold in shops here.

But never mind.

It's available on LAZADA!

When I've needed it it's been for an active wound so then I don't have time to wait for orders. Didn't think before of looking on Lazada to keep it in stock. Silly me. 

Now I know.

Still a question for Sheryl, why don't PHARMACIES here stock it?

Just now, keemapoot said:

Yup, that is one of the things I stock up on annually on my trips to the US. Never seen it for sale anywhere, and not sure why not. It's fantastic and so much better than anything else sold in Thailand.

Back to falling, I have an older farang friend who lives alone, and tells me his biggest worry is falling in his condo and nobody will discover his body until things get ugly. 

I feel silly for not looking on Lazada before!
But people living here should really have it in stock for the inevitable bleeding wounds. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

I feel silly for not looking on Lazada before!
But people living here should really have it in stock for the inevitable bleeding wounds. 

Yup, I can't believe it either. Never thought to look there and there it is, and stocked locally too!  Wow. Really, once you have it, there is nothing that comes close at all.

This may answer your question about availability. It is not available in Australia either 

Neosporin and other antibacterial ointments may be one of the factors behind the spread of an especially lethal strain of MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) called USA 300, according to a study published in Emerging Infectious Diseases.

https://www.care2.com/greenliving/4-reasons-to-throw-your-neosporin-in-the-garbage.html

1 minute ago, keemapoot said:

Yup, I can't believe it either. Never thought to look there and there it is, and stocked locally too!  Wow. Really, once you have it, there is nothing that comes close at all.

Yes, I totally agree. I've assumed it's the global standard and still find it really WEIRD that it isn't sold in shops here. 

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

This may answer your question about availability. It is not available in Australia either 

Neosporin and other antibacterial ointments may be one of the factors behind the spread of an especially lethal strain of MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) called USA 300, according to a study published in Emerging Infectious Diseases.

https://www.care2.com/greenliving/4-reasons-to-throw-your-neosporin-in-the-garbage.html

Wow, that's a bummer for a neosporin lover to read. ????

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

That would make sense to me in Australia. In Thailand where you can buy many kinds of strong antibiotics over the counter no questions asked, I seriously doubt that is the reason. 

Some observations and facts having dealt with elderly parents and their friends where fall hazards are a serious issue.  Not so much for active people here but many are inevitable as people age. 

• Elderly have joint pains and then want to walk less.  This results in balance issues in the use it or lose it scenario and it becomes a vicious circle of decline.  Somewhat like children who fall a lot until they learn balance from practice.  If elderly fall and break something the recovery and rehab time can be lengthy with further balance issues from less mobility.
  • If you have low blood pressure you can get light headed when getting up from sitting, resting, the bed, toilet, etc.  Should count to ten before rising from a sitting position and make sure you are stable.
  • People of blood thinners have an additional risk of bleeding out if they fall and cut themselves.  An issue is whether to thin blood and risk bleeding or stay off and risk heart attack.  Not necessarily an easy choice and should consider which is the greater threat.
  • Stable shoes and clear environment where you walk are important.  Avoid clutter and small pets. 
  • Walking with a cane can help but provides a false sense of security as if you start to fall it really does not help you. 
  • Avoid climbing ladders, standing on chairs, etc.  Consequences of falls from even small heights can be horrendous.
  • Understand your medications and interactions between them.  Adjust your lifestyle accordingly.
  • People with dementia have the additional issue of forgetting what they should do or what limitations they may have.  Seen it many times where they try to do things they are not capable of doing just because they forgot and then it may be too late. 
  • Old age does not arrive alone and it brings many unfortunate consequences.  Have to accept reality and pay attention to your surroundings and situation.

I was always impressed with the way President Obama used to bound down the stairs of Air Force One, without even considering using the handrail. Obviously, that was a well-rehearsed move to appear youthful and energetic. I'm sure his handlers did not like that. Trump wouldn't ever dare that and proves his energy by tweeting at all hours of the night munching on big macs.

But seriously, by late fifties I would say who cares about appearances, and make sure to use handrails at all stairways, especially those at BTS, MRT and other longer declines.

Archived