Falling! (Aging related)

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I agree strongly with this. I do pretty vigorous weight training, as well as cycling in an effort to try to keep it together and keep the weight off. Muscle mass is the first thing to go, and contributes to looking older. If you keep muscle mass, you do look younger feel better.

Yep.  Nothing wrong with aerobic conditioning, but basic core strength is so important.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yep.  Nothing wrong with aerobic conditioning, but basic core strength is so important.

Really true. However, I used to do pilates as well, and found myself unable to sustain those exercises past 60. I guess it depends on the person. Pilates and related regimines are fantastic for core.

We also have to be conscious that although we feel young, we ain't.

My father at the age of 79, trying to change a ceiling light bulb, thought that standing on the dining room table to do so was a good idea. Unfortunately, he fell off & broke his hip, & a few months later, had a stroke. He lasted 10 more years through determination. Pneumonia got him in the end.

So, we gotta take extra care & remember, we're not so young.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not only but I agree it's a great product and nothing sold in the Thai pharmacies approaches it. 

The use of neomycin/polymyxin B/bacitracin, decreases infection rates in minor-contaminated wounds.[10] However, if the wound is sterile, then there are no benefits compared to petrolatum (placebo).[10][11]

......so what topical antibiotics  Have you found for sale  OTC  in  Thai ?

7 hours ago, WatWikiWakiWoo said:

The use of neomycin/polymyxin B/bacitracin, decreases infection rates in minor-contaminated wounds.[10] However, if the wound is sterile, then there are no benefits compared to petrolatum (placebo).[10][11]

......so what topical antibiotics  Have you found for sale  OTC  in  Thai ?

That's been covered here and I won't use the product they sell at shops here. For me it's Neosporin or nothing. So anyway I did use petroleum jelly for this recent fairly serious wound and it has healed and I'm still alive. 

On 8/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, Jingthing said:

Activities like Tai Chi are. This gives me appreciation for when I've seen groups of older Chinese people doing that, but I haven't seen that here.

I've seen Tai Chi (or similar) in a couple of places here: in the park at the top of Pratumnak and under the Bali Hai flyover. I expect that they do it in the park in Naklua also.

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:
On 8/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, Jingthing said:

Activities like Tai Chi are. This gives me appreciation for when I've seen groups of older Chinese people doing that, but I haven't seen that here.

I've seen Tai Chi (or similar) in a couple of places here: in the park at the top of Pratumnak and under the Bali Hai flyover. I expect that they do it in the park in Naklua also.

Huge groups of elderly and young together do Tai Chi at Lumphini park in mornings, weekends and evenings. Anyone can join in I believe. It's also popular at smaller community parks sometimes, just look around.

gotta admit that trainers or other suitable footwear are better than sandals when out and about especially when it rains and there are slippery surfaces everywhere...got a pair of 7 y.o. Nikes that do the job just right...

2013 and tutsi and son step out from the NIKE store into the rain on the champs d'elysees and the boy was chuffed with his new gear...and I watched in horror as the glue on my 12 y.o shoes dissolved with the moisture (with soles a flappin' on the champs d'elysees, it's just not done) and back in we go and tutsi emerges with a new pair of NIKE AIR shoes...then some asian tourists wanted us to get a snap of them in front of the Arc d'triomphe...the boy observes and sez 'a memorable time, dad...lets go back to that iranian cafe and smoke some shisha...' he's older than his years...

On 8/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, faraday said:

We also have to be conscious that although we feel young, we ain't.

My father at the age of 79, trying to change a ceiling light bulb, thought that standing on the dining room table to do so was a good idea. Unfortunately, he fell off & broke his hip, & a few months later, had a stroke. He lasted 10 more years through determination. Pneumonia got him in the end.

So, we gotta take extra care & remember, we're not so young.

I have a set of 4 tread steps and a set of 7 tread steps for jobs like that. I also don't do it myself any more unless things are desperate. I get my 15 year old son to do it for me.

When it came to changing the light bulbs in the stair well I got out my monster ladder which is 4 metres long (but folds into 4). We took it upstairs and unfolded it and tywrapped some gut to fit plywood onto the rungs. We then slid it across the stairwell and my son took the light covers off and gave them to my wife. She cleaned them and gave him a new bulb and the clean covers to fit. I was the ballast weight on the ladder to keep it safe. We only managed 2 out of 3 bulbs but that is enough.

Then came the rigmarole of refolding the ladder and putting everything away. It must have taken the best part of an hour start to finish but better than stumbling on the stairs in the dark and falling over.

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's been covered here and I won't use the product they sell at shops here. For me it's Neosporin or nothing. So anyway I did use petroleum jelly for this recent fairly serious wound and it has healed and I'm still alive. 

Neosporin?

Antibiotics for wound care?

With the ever-increasing problem of multidrug-resistant organisms is this a good idea?

Petroleum jelly also may not be the best thing to heal cuts.

Skin creates its own "natural plaster" and petroleum jelly appears to disrupt this important process, and might increase the risk of wound infection.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44600618

For wound care I use HypoChlor Spray (hypochlorous acid solution).

I first used it for Belpharitis (eyelid bacterial/fungal/parasitic infection) but it is also effective as an antiseptic for cuts grazes etc.

Hypochlorous acid may be the perfect solution, it does not contribute to the antibiotic-resistant organism dilemma, does not disrupt natural biofilm like petroleum jelly or damage cell tissue like alcohol and iodine.

In fact, it is the same chemical produced by the human immune system to kill invasive organisms and fight infection.

11 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Neosporin?

Antibiotics for wound care?

With the ever-increasing problem of multidrug-resistant organisms is this a good idea?

Petroleum jelly also may not be the best thing to heal cuts.

Skin creates its own "natural plaster" and petroleum jelly appears to disrupt this important process, and might increase the risk of wound infection.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44600618

For wound care I use HypoChlor Spray (hypochlorous acid solution).

I first used it for Belpharitis (eyelid bacterial/fungal/parasitic infection) but it is also effective as an antiseptic for cuts grazes etc.

Hypochlorous acid may be the perfect solution, it does not contribute to the antibiotic-resistant organism dilemma, does not disrupt natural biofilm like petroleum jelly or damage cell tissue like alcohol and iodine.

In fact, it is the same chemical produced by the human immune system to kill invasive organisms and fight infection.

Sounds like a really off label weird use for that acid. (Cuts and scrapes.) Also treating infection is one thing, PREVENTING it is another. 

My cleaning lady covers the very slick tiles in my bathroom with suction-cup bath mats and then covers these with towels.  I had two bad falls in the bathroom in successive years and struck my head hard each time.  I haven't had any more falls in the bathroom but sometimes trip but don't fall on unexpected irregularities in the road or sidewalk.  I just don't spot them.  I now do my walking in shopping centers on some days. I start on the top floor and walk the circumference of each floor going down.  I'm able to get in 4,000 to 5,000 steps a day.  On other days, I ride the recumbent bike in the fitness center for 30 - 40 minutes.  This seems top be adequate.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like a really off label weird use for that acid. (Cuts and scrapes.) Also treating infection is one thing, PREVENTING it is another. 

Quote from label!

"HypoChlor Solution is intended for cleansing and removing foreign material and debris from the application site, including microorganisms, immediate care of minor irritations to the skin, cleansing minor cuts and minor scrapes and minor burns. It can also be used for moistening absorbent wound dressing."

I must admit that it may not have the sledge hammer potency of betadine but it may still have a place in wound care.

5 hours ago, faraday said:

Grab handles, that's what we need in our homes.

I've got one in the hongnam by the throne so I can get up easily. Need to get a few more though.

They help a lot but take magnesium to fix Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)

14 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

They help a lot but take magnesium to fix Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)

Isn't BPPV more to do with dizziness than simple loss of balance? I ask because I've had balance loss for most of my adult life, but there's no dizziness involved. It's not a big problem, though, just a bit embarrassing. In recent years I've been taking magnesium daily to control arrythmia, but there's no change to my balance issue. Is this an issue with other members, or JT? 

PS: never discussed it with a doc as it's not really a problem, even as I get older.

This might be helpful. And if not, quite the ice breaker. Maybe even literally.

'Robot tail' could help reduce risk of falling for elderly, say Japanese scientists

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/08/05/robot-tail-could-help-reduce-risk-falling-elderly-say-japanese/

Had some nasty falls myself, though still not quite at the "elderly" age bracket. Guess just a combo of not being that stable (yeah, alright...go for it), bad luck, and sometimes lousy timing when indulging.

Both my parents had bad falls over the years, and at least with my Mom, got to be a "thing". Healing takes longer with age, and getting back on feet takes a certain amount of determination. Another case - a close friend, had a wee fall off her bicycle. Low speed, nothing dramatic. Hit a nerve end or something, and had to go through years of non-stop pains.

Let's be careful out there.

20 minutes ago, Morch said:

This might be helpful. And if not, quite the ice breaker. Maybe even literally.

'Robot tail' could help reduce risk of falling for elderly, say Japanese scientists

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/08/05/robot-tail-could-help-reduce-risk-falling-elderly-say-japanese/

Had some nasty falls myself, though still not quite at the "elderly" age bracket. Guess just a combo of not being that stable (yeah, alright...go for it), bad luck, and sometimes lousy timing when indulging.

Both my parents had bad falls over the years, and at least with my Mom, got to be a "thing". Healing takes longer with age, and getting back on feet takes a certain amount of determination. Another case - a close friend, had a wee fall off her bicycle. Low speed, nothing dramatic. Hit a nerve end or something, and had to go through years of non-stop pains.

Let's be careful out there.

Concentrate on core strength exercises ( not hard) and balance improvement techniques.

https://www.positivehealthwellness.com/fitness/7-simple-exercises-try-50-year-olds/

https://aaptiv.com/magazine/exercises-improve-balance-after-60

Archived