Biden leads Democrats as minorities favor most electable candidate vs Trump

webfact

Biden leads Democrats as minorities favor most electable candidate vs Trump

By Chris Kahn

2019-08-06T100910Z_1_LYNXNPEF750S9_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-BIDEN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden greets audience members during a campaign stop at Mack's Apples in Londonderry, New Hampshire, U.S., July 13, 2019. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Joe Biden maintained his lead for the Democratic presidential nomination as minorities gravitated toward the former vice president and his top rival, U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, in search of the safest bets for beating President Donald Trump in 2020, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.

The Aug. 1-5 public opinion poll, released on Tuesday, showed that 22% of Democrats and independents would vote for Biden, a level that is unchanged from a similar poll that ran last month. Another 18% said they supported Sanders, up 2 percentage points from the July poll.

None of 23 other candidates received more than 9% in the poll.

Click here for the full poll results: https://tmsnrt.rs/2Ypr9iS

Biden and Sanders offer Democrats sharply contrasting views on how to govern. Sanders leads the effort to expand government-run healthcare for all Americans while Biden offers a more moderate approach that would allow people to keep their existing healthcare plans.

Yet the choice for Democrats may have less to do with ideology and more to do with who is best suited to beatTrump in the November 2020 general election.

According to the poll, 36% of Democrats say they are simply looking for someone who can win. Only 11% say the most important quality is someone with a strong healthcare plan, and 5% say it is most important to pick a strong voice on the environment.

Biden and Sanders are currently viewed as the safest bets for beating Trump among all Democrats. Both improved their standing among minorities over the past month as Trump repeatedly vilified minority lawmakers in a series of tweets and public comments that infuriated Democrats and many others.

In one exchange Trump told four minority lawmakers who have been critical of his administration to "go back" to where they came from.

From July to August, both Biden and Sanders received a stronger level of support from minorities, and minorities also shifted their support away from lesser-known candidates like U.S. Senator Kamala Harris of California and former Texas congressman Beto O'Rourke.

Among racial minorities who identify as Democrats or independents, 23% said they would vote for Biden and 23% said they would support Sanders, which is up 2 points for each candidate from July.

Another 6% said they backed Harris, down 5 points from July, and 2% supported O'Rourke, down 3 points from the previous poll.

When asked who would be most likely to beat Trump in the 2020 general election, 33% of minorities picked Biden and 19% picked Sanders.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English throughout the United States. It gathered responses from 1,258 adults, including 494 racial minorities. It has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 5 percentage points.

(Reporting by Chris Kahn; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-07

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pegman said:

I think it is a near sure thing that Joe trips himself up. I expect Harris goes against Trump. If not her then Warren.

This might be the only time I have agreed with you. ???? Kamala appears to be the establishment favourite but she took a bit of a hammering from Tulsi recently. Warren also has a strong support base.

5 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

This might be the only time I have agreed with you. ???? Kamala appears to be the establishment favourite but she took a bit of a hammering from Tulsi recently. Warren also has a strong support base.

Kamala Harris had her criminal judgeship record nearly expunged from the official website. She has a LOT to be ashamed of.

5 hours ago, pegman said:

I think it is a near sure thing that Joe trips himself up. I expect Harris goes against Trump. If not her then Warren.

I'd agree Biden is a dead man walking. Just too old. The primary season has barely gotten in to swing and his staff is trying to hide him as much as possible, and yet he's still managed to display a worrying degree of age related mental decline in the limited time he's been in public. No way he survives the full onslaught of a primary campaign, and that is actually good for the Democrats as the last thing they'd want is a feeble old man sneaking through and then facing off against Trump. Warren has definitely improved her standing tremendously. Harris has not impressed. Unlikable even in comparison to Warren and seems to have a lot of "non-woke" baggage from her days as a prosecutor. Bernie dropping out and offering his endorsement to Warren after the first few primaries could be enough to push Warren through to the nomination. 

But I'm in agreement with Michael Moore that none of these candidates stand much of a chance against Trump and the best option for the Dems for somebody new (like Oprah) to throw their hat in the ring at the last minute. 

Biden is not electable. He will be sleepy and corrupt Joe Biden to the electorate as Trump has smeared him.

He is useless...can anyone name anything he did as VP for 8 years apart from feather the nest of his son, Hunter, with a corrupt deal in Ukraine?

The Democrats have truly lost the plot.

10 minutes ago, quandow said:

I seem to recall election night 2016 where polls had Hillary winning in the 90% area. Pervy Sleepy Uncle Joe doesn't stand a chance against Trump.

This registered US Democrat will vote for neither Biden nor Harris. While I certainly will be voting Democrat in the state races (Kentucky), the Democratic Party will present me with a progressive candidate for POTUS or, as in 2016, they loose my vote. Up to them...

Just now, quandow said:

I seem to recall election night 2016 where polls had Hillary winning in the 90% area. Pervy Sleepy Uncle Joe doesn't stand a chance against Trump.

Your recall is bad. Fivethirtyeight.com the gold standard of aggregators gave Trump a 28%chance

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Your recall is bad. Fivethirtyeight.com the gold standard of aggregators gave Trump a 28%chance

If I wanted to bother, I could find a "mainstream" poll that backs what I posted. The point is polls are not to be trusted.

Biden doesn't have a chance. He was marginal years ago when he ran, with a propensity to say the wrong thing. Now he's A LOT slower and it shows. Watch the interview of him with Chris Cuomo, you will see how completely disjointed he is, and this is with an interviewer very sympathetic to him. I was thinking that maybe I could vote for him, but no way after watching that and many of his other recent public appearances. Trump will destroy him in a debate and I can't see him making it through the primary season. 

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If he's way too old, then trump is merely too old? Given Trump's obesity, who's more likely to continue to be in good health. Only a 3 year difference between the 2 of them.

They should both be out to pasture. 

Not sure if Biden is the way forward as I doubt he'll sufficiently influence the vital swing voters enough to make it happen. Another crusty old dinosaur isn't the way forward. Surely the Dems can do better ... and also start coming up with some decent policies addressing America's problems that are pragmatic and not opaque fantasy land.

4 hours ago, quandow said:

Did you hear his campaign speech in the guise of consoling the El Paso shooting victims?

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Not a liberal, but if Democrats want to beat President Trump—they will have to move to center.  Forget open borders and Medicare for all.  Those issues will guarantee defeat.

I disagree. With free healthcare for all, free higher education, student loan forgiveness, $20 minimum wage, reparations for slavery, legal grass, free gender reassignment, open boarders, amnesty, taxing the greedy rich, eliminating ICE and breaking up the evil corporations, I think the dems can run Jussie Smollett and win

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Not a liberal, but if Democrats want to beat President Trump—they will have to move to center.  Forget open borders and Medicare for all.  Those issues will guarantee defeat.

God knows what your idea of the center is.

While Medicare for all is not politically a good idea, the last midterms showed that the Democrats dominate the Republicans electorally when it comes to health care issues. No one is going to believe Trump after all the empty promises he has made. He has claimed a couple of times to have a health care reform program in hand only to have it vanish inexplicably.

The Democrats also have the Republicans beat on Social Security. The same Republican hypocrites who increase the deficit via tax cuts for the rich say Social Security needs to be reined in. The Democrats have a plan to let income be taxed up to a much higher cutoff point, pause for I think 250,000 to 400,000 per year, and then resume without again for incomes higher than that. That will solve the social security problem once and for all.

18 hours ago, usviphotography said:

.......the best option for the Dems for somebody new (like Oprah) to throw their hat in the ring at the last minute

I'll take the bait but my money is on Michelle Obama. Even though she emphatically says otherwise, I think she'll cave in, in fear of another 4 years of Trump.

OMG, would that ever be refreshing. A mature adult with first class decorum and common sense back in the Whitehouse. Somebody who actually thinks before she speaks or acts. A president who really, really knows how the wheels of politics turn.

Please Michelle, throw your hat in the ring !

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:05 AM, malibukid said:

Mickey Mouse should be able beat Trump, or has America gone insane?

Mickey Mouse would be better than any of these misfits.  Are the democrats really serious?  DT is salivating in anticipation of facing one of these goons.  The democrats can only hope that JFK will be resurrected or that the stock market will crash more than 50% before the election?  That is their only chance.

7 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

Mickey Mouse would be better than any of these misfits.  Are the democrats really serious?  DT is salivating in anticipation of facing one of these goons.  The democrats can only hope that JFK will be resurrected or that the stock market will crash more than 50% before the election?  That is their only chance.

Or of course that the orange clown keels over from an excess of beefburgers..........and more is uncovered about his shady past dealings!

So if one candidate had his son tag along with him on a visit to china and his son's company got a massive investment from china..............

just think what the media would be saying if it was a Trump offspring...

no double standards here, move on nothing to see.

I'll take the bait but my money is on Michelle Obama. Even though she emphatically says otherwise, I think she'll cave in, in fear of another 4 years of Trump.
OMG, would that ever be refreshing. A mature adult with first class decorum and common sense back in the Whitehouse. Somebody who actually thinks before she speaks or acts. A president who really, really knows how the wheels of politics turn.
Please Michelle, throw your hat in the ring !
Well she won't.
I agree she is popular and she would beat 45 but personally I can't picture her as president and clearly she can't either.
Give up the fantasies.
There are some solid choices already running.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived