Unsafe Pattaya: 40% of CCTV cameras not working as Swede is robbed

webfact

Unsafe Pattaya: 40% of CCTV cameras not working as Swede is robbed

2pm.jpg

Caption: Where is the safety?

A Swedish and Thai couple have slammed Pattaya as not safe for tourists after they were robbed in the street. 

And now Thai media are claiming that 40% of the resorts more than 2,000 cameras are just not working. 

This came as the president of Pattaya City Council called for an urgent review of CCTV in Pattaya in the wake of the bombings in Bangkok. 

Stefan Hujanen, 52, from Sweden was travelling with his wife Tippawan, 32, on a motorcycle between North Pattaya and Pratumnak Hill on Saturday at 11am. 

On Sai 3 outside the Muang Pattaya Hospital a podgy man in red with a full face helmet drew up alongside them. He was riding a Yamaha Mio motorcycle with no plates and they thought the color of the bike was black and yellow.

He grabbed Mr Hujanen's one baht weight gold chain with amulet and made off in the direction of South Pattaya. 

A chase ensued but he got away. 

The couple went to the police then City Hall but were told that the CCTV was not working. 

They told 77khaoded that this was "not acceptable at a world class resort like Pattaya". They had earlier contacted Pattaya News.

Khaoded said that their inquiries on behalf of the couple indicated that 40% of CCTV cameras in Pattaya were not working with most of the problems associated with connections to the the central CCTV office. 

Yesterday Anan Angkhanawisan, the president of Pattaya City Council, demanded that inspections of Pattaya's CCTV cameras are undertaken. 

He said that "experts" were needed to run the system and that a review of budgets for 2020 was needed. He said that Pattaya should expect costs for CCTV security to be high at a world class resort. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-07

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surveillance cameras don't stop individual crimes. Just a note to people installing them around their property. 

In this case even if they were working the crime would still have taken place. Sure they may catch the culprit. But after the fact and the stolen property is still ..well stolen. 

And most of those that do work have a resolution that makes identification impossible. If you want a good laugh go to City Hall and ask to watch some of them. you could not distinguish Danny de Vito from Schartzenegger, or an Audi Q7 from a Yaris.

The news that many of the CCTV cameras are not working is hardly news. We have been told this many times before and on each occasion we have been assured they would be fixed. It would not surprise me to learn that money was allocated for it, but somehow, just never found its way to actually getting the work done, victim of a "diversion" along the way. As the Swedish man says, it is disgraceful and simply not good enough.

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

Yesterday Anan Angkhanawisan, the president of Pattaya City Council, demanded that inspections of Pattaya's CCTV cameras are undertaken. 

Have patience, A committee has been formed! They are looking at all aspects!

Untitled4.jpg

The safety is not lower in Pattaya then i Botkyrka, Sweden or Greater Manchester in UK as well as The Bronx or Detroit in USA.

They also have no obligation to provide CCTV on all locations. 

Just another try to once again put a negative stamp on Thailand.

34 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The safety is not lower in Pattaya then i Botkyrka, Sweden or Greater Manchester in UK as well as The Bronx or Detroit in USA.

They are obliged when they say they would. 

And this isn't down some back alley. It's outside a hospital. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Swedish and Thai couple have slammed Pattaya as not safe for tourists after they were robbed in the street. 

Meanwhile on another thread TaT are hoping to " woo " more Nordic visitors with wellness and 'ealth and stuff .. 

Wearing any amount of Gold is like a magnet to criminals,

the Swede should have known this,unless he thought that

Pattaya was a World class,super duper,family resort.where

crime does not occur

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

'The safety is not lower in Pattaya then i Botkyrka, Sweden or Greater Manchester in UK as well as The Bronx or Detroit in USA.' - yup, it's possibly better than in many comparably large cities in the UK or USA. This is completely besides the point though, and is simply being used as a diversionary tactic by you. ???? Why do you insist on repeatedly doing so? 

'They also have no obligation to provide CCTV on all locations.' - they surely don't you're right. They do however, have a responsibility to the public (taxpayer) to ensure what CCTV they do have is actually functioning and with good enough clarity/resolution to warrant its use in the first place - instead of government allocated funds for their maintenance ending up in certain people's pockets.

There is a worrying level of violent crime/theft in the UK/US, but actually, when you look at the facts and statistics (and although I'm not definitely 100% for comprehensive surveillance) good quality, functioning and widespread CCTV leads to many apprehensions of criminals perpertrating a variety of crimes. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Unsafe Pattaya: 40% of CCTV cameras not working

"Unsafe Pattaya"......................yet more unhelpful publicity for the Thai tourism industry. They just can't help hammering nails in the tourism coffin.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They told 77khaoded that this was "not acceptable at a world class resort like Pattaya". They had earlier contacted Pattaya News.

They missed out the 3rd. should have read "3rd Class World Resort"

Hello thailand lover there is something wrong everywhere but It would not surprise me to learn that money was allocated for it, but somehow, just never found its way to actually getting the work done

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He grabbed Mr Hujanen's one baht weight gold chain with amulet and made off in the direction of South Pattaya. 

It's his own fault. If he had gotten one of the renowned and reliable "Protection from Thieves on Motorcycles" amulets....this never would have happened.

hey genius, do you not think they have an obligation to maintain the already installed ones so that they work ????

31 minutes ago, atyclb said:

hey genius, do you not think they have an obligation to maintain the already installed ones so that they work ????

No, in many places they use dummy cameras. Didn´t know that, huh Genius.

58 minutes ago, jacknorman said:

Hello thailand lover there is something wrong everywhere but It would not surprise me to learn that money was allocated for it, but somehow, just never found its way to actually getting the work done

Might be. So, what. I like it when it ain´t so perfect and neat. That´s one of the reasons I chose to live in Thailand.

Archived