Unsafe Pattaya: 40% of CCTV cameras not working as Swede is robbed

webfact

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The news that many of the CCTV cameras are not working is hardly news. We have been told this many times before and on each occasion we have been assured they would be fixed. It would not surprise me to learn that money was allocated for it, but somehow, just never found its way to actually getting the work done, victim of a "diversion" along the way. As the Swedish man says, it is disgraceful and simply not good enough.

They install these CCTV everywhere, the more I travel on my PCX I see so many. BUT who maintains them is the million dollar question. When they had the explosion in Bangkok years ago at the shrine near a BTS station, they went to CCTV but most were not working.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS Thailand is Thailand....nothing works well. Cams not work due to lack of maintanance and no experiance, police love to sit in their boots instead walking around and be present in public not just for "grab money". Police should protect the people as it happens in most civilized countried and not to "protect" themselves.

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Surveillance cameras don't stop individual crimes. Just a note to people installing them around their property. 

In this case even if they were working the crime would still have taken place. Sure they may catch the culprit. But after the fact and the stolen property is still ..well stolen. 

Is that not a good reason to have them working...would  you rather they didn't use every possible means to catch thieves...if you don't care...maybe his next potential victim might be gratefull that he was picked up before he got to them? 

8 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Idiot for wearing exposed gold necklace.

They rob sht here.

Actually they do not. 

just take a minute to look at crime stats from where ever you come from.

I feel totally safe here.

If you going to a party, pleasant hotel , Embassy do, etc etc- wear your diamond tiara , Rolex or gold - not on the street - who are you trying to impress ? 

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Wearing any amount of Gold is like a magnet to criminals,

the Swede should have known this,unless he thought that

Pattaya was a World class,super duper,family resort.where

crime does not occur

regards worgeordie

I have to agree the funniest part of this story was when the Swede referred to Pattaya as a 'World Class Resort'.

....he clearly hasn't travelled much!

The opportunity for padding and commission comes from the original budget grant to provide the CCTV cameras, not for maintenance contracts.

Like with roads, the only additional opportunity comes when so many have gone defective that there is another budget grant for complete refurbishment.

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The safety is not lower in Pattaya then i Botkyrka, Sweden or Greater Manchester in UK as well as The Bronx or Detroit in USA.

They also have no obligation to provide CCTV on all locations. 

Just another try to once again put a negative stamp on Thailand.

Funny.. i go to Pattaya on regular basis, ..and i live in Botkyrka, Sweden.

In Pattaya i'm never feel unsafe or scared.   But in Botkyrka..well, you have to careful walking alone after dark.

1 minute ago, StefanJ said:

Funny.. i go to Pattaya on regular basis, ..and i live in Botkyrka, Sweden.

In Pattaya i'm never feel unsafe or scared.   But in Botkyrka..well, you have to careful walking alone after dark.

That´s what I just wrote.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Khaoded said that their inquiries on behalf of the couple indicated that 40% of CCTV cameras in Pattaya were not working with most of the problems associated with connections to the the central CCTV office.

Not good for publicity when T.A.T is trying to lure in the Swedes, Danes and Fins !

Yes, as others have said, I remember this same story from several years ago--most of the cameras not working.  Lots of hand-wringing then (those poor hands!) and promises to fix them.  And, all empty air as usual.  But apparently plenty of money to tear up perfectly good sidewalks on North Pattaya Road and replace them with much the same--but blue.  Of course, no wires being buried during this project. 

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Wearing any amount of Gold is like a magnet to criminals,

the Swede should have known this,unless he thought that

Pattaya was a World class,super duper,family resort.where

crime does not occur

regards worgeordie

Gold chain - Maximum 1 hr 

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The safety is not lower in Pattaya then i Botkyrka, Sweden or Greater Manchester in UK as well as The Bronx or Detroit in USA.

What is wrong with you?

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Sometimes the truth hurts and reality bites.

Pattaya is advertising itself as a World class destination for tourism and constantly trumphets this in all forms of media.  

When a city or country does this- it needs to fix it's camera system; have police actually patrol instead of useless road blocks collecting money; and clean up it's city.

This is not Thai bashing- it's simply telling the truth.   When a person visits Pattaya as a tourist- they expect a World class experience and they are not getting it- plain and simple.  They don;t care what happens in Sweden or Detroit or London as they are not there.

When I visited Pattaya some 50 years ago- it was equavalent to the mythical Shangri-La.  Now it's equivalent to Detroit.

Sometimes I suspect people just say that they are not working because they have no idea about how to obtain the footage, even the BIB. Much like how you get "mai mee" and "mai dai" everywhere you go. Same thing.

Archived