Unsafe Pattaya: 40% of CCTV cameras not working as Swede is robbed

webfact

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, in many places they use dummy cameras. Didn´t know that, huh Genius.

And, surprise surprise, a dummy camera costs at least twice as much as a real one...... in the la-la land of municipal tendering.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Surveillance cameras don't stop individual crimes. Just a note to people installing them around their property. 

In this case even if they were working the crime would still have taken place. Sure they may catch the culprit. But after the fact and the stolen property is still ..well stolen. 

yes but can help catch the culprit and put behind bars.....OH sorry no they not do that here just a wai and a 200 baht fine !!!!

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

hey genius, do you not think they have an obligation to maintain the already installed ones so that they work ????

No, in many places they use dummy cameras. Didn´t know that, huh Genius.

you won a trophy. ever think i may have been referring to real cameras that are supposed to be working ??

22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

But after the fact and the stolen property is still ..well stolen. 

Functional CCTV may well be a deterrent.

I would like to think also that functional CCTV would help apprehending the thieves. An efficient justice system could put him away and prevent him from further criminal acts. 

It all breaks down though, CCTV was installed, money went into pockets, no incentive to do any more. 

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think i must have married one of the only Thai women that is not interested in wearing expensive jewellery and i don't wear any. Rather have money in the bank or a better house than flaunting it to the locals

I'm in the same club.

12 hours ago, atyclb said:

you won a trophy. ever think i may have been referring to real cameras that are supposed to be working ??

Yes, I am fully aware of that fact. I just said that it was not so important, because in many places they use dummy cameras.

However, they have no obligation to maintain them in working order either. There is no law that states such thing. Until then, It´s free for them to decide how to do and what to repair.

20 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The safety is not lower in Pattaya then i Botkyrka, Sweden or Greater Manchester in UK as well as The Bronx or Detroit in USA.

They also have no obligation to provide CCTV on all locations. 

Just another try to once again put a negative stamp on Thailand.

Having 40 percent of the cameras is a positive then. Thanks. Better clean your rose-coloured glasses.

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Having 40 percent of the cameras is a positive then. Thanks. Better clean your rose-coloured glasses.

40%!!!? That´s great! Where do they offer that kind of security? :cheesy:

Ok so now what?  This is a normal daily occurrence here in Thailand.   People are beaten, killed, and robbed all the time...Live and learn.  Take action.  Grow some BIG balls...get over it!

34fdab265448ec8dc7c893b6062db9dc.jpg

678e99067a40980b7b658c6161020674.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 6:53 AM, RichardColeman said:

I think i must have married one of the only Thai women that is not interested in wearing expensive jewellery and i don't wear any. Rather have money in the bank or a better house than flaunting it to the locals

Not quite the only Thai woman, but ...

Ditto.

I give beautiful jewelry and gifts to my Soon-To-Be-Mrs.

She says [words to the effect] "Not take outside My Phil, only with you and good friends".

Says a great deal that.

40% of cameras not working? Be glad, the other 60% are apparently real cameras. Wondering about the percentage of officials - in line with the CCTV camera ratio? Just asking as most of the time when I ask for something, the responsible person is "in a meeting" ???? 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, worgeordie said:

Wearing any amount of Gold is like a magnet to criminals,

the Swede should have known this,unless he thought that

Pattaya was a World class,super duper,family resort.where

crime does not occur

regards worgeordie

Maybe the thief was a fan of A$AP Rocky and wanted to take revenge against a Swede for their government jailing A$AP Rocky last month lol  

No matter where in the world, there is no foolproof safe haven.

People often get their Rolex snatched in cities like Monaco, Geneva or Zurich that are in the top 5 most expensive jet-set cities of the globe that are wrongly considered as safe havens.

Thailand does not escape this rule and it is as unsafe as many other western metros.

Many tourists or part timers like to play their two week millionaire act in Thailand with massive or vulgar show of temporary wealth...not a reason to be mugged, but  stupid does end up in getting in trouble.

Stay safe, be humble and keep a low profile.

In Thai logic, farangs displaying wealth, does not make then a big shot to the eyes of others...it often just makes them look like a (stupid) sitting duck, waiting to be mugged.  Be safe.

Archived