Let's settle this once and for all....Beatles or Stones?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old music is old music, it’s no longer relevant.....

may as well argue on who was better, dean martin or 

Frank Sinatra....the past is the past, you could re release all the records of the stones and the Beatles and they would still get no air time... much the same as dinosaurs.

The world has changed...better not to live in the past.....

no future in that.......

5 minutes ago, namatjira said:

Frank Sinatra....the past is the past, you could re release all the records of the stones and the Beatles and they would still get no air time... much the same as dinosaurs.

no future in that.......

A very daft post....????

22 hours ago, namatjira said:

no future in that.......

Beatles songs will still be played a 100 years from now, will Snoop Dogs songs?

On 8/8/2019 at 5:07 PM, possum1931 said:
On 8/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, nikmar said:

Its a bit like arguing Hendrix over Clapton. Both are brilliant for different reasons.

Hendrix was all gadgets while Clapton really could play. Back in the nineties I used to go out with Claptons bass player Jack Bruces niece, she was 20 years younger than me.

Clapton himself would probably say Hendrix was better.  Back to the topic....I'm more of a Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin guy.  But to answer the thread question....the Beatles have been much more influential than the Stones.  And Sgt Pepper was probably the greatest album ever.  

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Clapton himself would probably say Hendrix was better.  Back to the topic....I'm more of a Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin guy.  But to answer the thread question....the Beatles have been much more influential than the Stones.  And Sgt Pepper was probably the greatest album ever.  

arguably one of the greatest albums ever. Peoples views may differ on that one, Im not a huge Floyd fan but Id rate The Wall ove Pepper. "A Day in the Life" though, that's a song!!

17 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I am not into Pink Floyd or LZ, that is not to say they are not good musicians, From my late twenties up until I came to live in Thailand, I played professional with American country music bands, playing George Jones, Merle Haggard, Vince Gill etc, and also The Desert Rose Band.

The best band I ever heard taking into consideration their musical and vocal ability, were The Byrds, they would leave the Beatles and Stones behind.

But we all have our opinions.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, fishtank said:

Stairway to heaven?

Second only to Bohemiem Rhapsody as self indulgent pretentious rubbish.

Both were dreadful.

If it makes you feel better I hated almost everything Queen did as well, except Too much love will kill you and Radio gaga.

As for pretentious rubbish, have you ever watched a Guns n Roses VDO?

Gogo I used to frequent played one all the time featuring Slash being a dork.

I might be going out on a limb, but a vast amount of so called music was pretentious rubbish. I have about 50 songs that I still play after collecting music from the 60s to the present ( stairway to heaven is not among them ), except there is very little from the present worth listening to- most of it is vomit inducing.

Best music ever, IMO, was Pink Floyd's wish you were here, and Shine on you was the best track on it.

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am not into Pink Floyd or LZ, that is not to say they are not good musicians, From my late twenties up until I came to live in Thailand, I played professional with American country music bands, playing George Jones, Merle Haggard, Vince Gill etc, and also The Desert Rose Band.

The best band I ever heard taking into consideration their musical and vocal ability, were The Byrds, they would leave the Beatles and Stones behind.

But we all have our opinions.

Absolutely loved Mr Tambourine Man, when it came out, but haven't played it for years.

Dire Straits were the top, IMO, and Romeo and Juliet, live on the Alchemy album was the best of all their songs.

However, it's hard to pick any group I like more than dozens of others. Some did only one song that made it, others, like Fleetwood Mac made dozens.

It's hard when one likes a range of music- PP&M, and The Seekers for folk, early Beatles and Stones for pop, Pink Floyd and F M for the serious stuff, but dozens of other loved groups. I like Connie Francis, Chuck Berry, Santana, Mammas and Pappas, Alison Moyet, Chris De Burgh, Geff Harrison etc etc etc.

It's impossible to have a most loved group, so I just record the ones I like and put them on random play. 

I did discover one song that I missed when it came out that has blown me away- Red light spells danger by Billy Ocean. Really gets me into the sing along mood:-)

On 8/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Think about it- how many groups are there now that are anywhere as good as the ones that started in the 60s?

IMO- NONE. Even Fleetwood Mac started way before they became huge with Rumours.

There must be a reason, but I can't think of one that makes sense.

How many of todays groups rely on people who are good musicians, rather than computerised crap.

I am not saying there aren't any, but how many? How many can do vocal harmonys like the Byrds and Beach Boys?

Just like how many solo artists can sing like Elvis or Roy Orbison? These days will never be back.

On 8/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, alan grice said:

My old Uncle said they weren’t Musicians they just new Chords.Never understood that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I can understand it, there are "musicians" who can play chords on a guitar to accompany their vocals, but cannot play lead, or melody, same can apply on keyboards.

Remember the Monkees? I rest my case.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:43 PM, namatjira said:

no future in that.......

So who should we be listening to please?

I had a nasty music teacher as a kid .7 yo...Had to fill in those [emoji443] for hours. Copied Uncle by ear playing By By Blackbird. Played it while watching for lesson , old bat flew in and slammed the piano lid on my hands. Never played again .Got a guitar as nackerd as Francis Rossi taught meself copying Slash.As for the Stones, couldnt stand their looks or American Copy <deleted>...[emoji450]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So who should we be listening to please?

Exactly. Hate with a passion rap, hip hop etc, which seems to be what the young crowd is listening to. They even spoil movies with the horrible soundtrack.

It's not surprising that there are radio stations that play nothing but 50s, 60s, 70s.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:43 PM, namatjira said:

no future in that.......

????

I guess that would explain why today's poseur pop stars never seem to tire of covering, sampling and plagiarizing all that "old music."

Archived