Let's settle this once and for all....Beatles or Stones?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Issanman said:

Blues vs. Pop?

Well, if we must compare the two, I choose the Blues.

The Rolling Stones win.

lol when I think of the blues, I think of all the great artists I saw in bars in Chicago and Detroit, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf. John Lee Hooker, BB, Buddy and so many more. imo the fathers...  

Old rockers never die.... they just are hiding in Thailand ?   Yes, i liked the Beatles and Stones but I was more of a favorite song person.  And so many different sounds and groups !   Don't know where to begin.

Jef Airplane (Today) so amazing when stoned.  Free Bird ( can't help but start playing air guitar ANY time it plays)  Fortunately everyone knows i'm crazy.    My Generation ....love the stutter,   We gotta get out of this place ( an Animals classic and theme song of TV disenchanted club) .   Dylan, Hendrix, Bowie, Velvet Underground, Janis, Kris, Willie, Doors, Van Morrison, on and on.  Music inspired by life !   Sometimes life REALLY was better long ago !    and here's one not many will know  

and this is Rumak from the turmac..........  I'll be bock

The Beatles, cant think of one song off hand of the Stones that I ever liked.

Beatles, more rhythmic, melodic and so on, variety etc the Stones just seemed harsh to me and monotonous.

Each to their own taste I guess.????

"The Beatles put 72 songs on the U.S. Billboard Chart, including 20 number ones, and 14 other hits that made the top 10. The Stones have managed 56 chart hits, eight number ones, and 15 other hits that made the top 10"

https://kool1079.com/beatles-vs-rolling-stones-whos-number-one-poll/

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Days Night, Beatles For Sale, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let it Be. 

13 masterpieces in a row!

Point wgdanson.

I would have to say for raw compositional talent Lennon-McCartney has to be given the nod. My older brother once solemnly predicted that the Stones would be bigger than the Beatles because the Stones were more beat driven and would thus have more mass appeal. I once got in trouble with HR for pointing out to a female co-worker how sexual the driving beat in 'Undercover of the Night' was.

The real fight to be had is who is No. 3. My vote is with The Who who had a message and captured the angst of an entire generation.

In the studio for mind blowing soundscape changes  and creativity, and pop song writing its all about the Beatles. But live they never met their potential.

Live, the Rolling Stones are the greatest rock n roll band in the world. Their longevity and hard driving work earn them this title. Also as a blues rock R&B band - dark and sinister, from their late 60s early 70s period with Mick Taylor they also wrote great songs. 

Overall hands down the Stones win. Watch and listen to "Ladies and Gentlemen" and its settled!

Lifelong fan, first record I ever owned was Satisfaction, and I was 7 years old.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I would have to say for raw compositional talent Lennon-McCartney has to be given the nod. My older brother once solemnly predicted that the Stones would be bigger than the Beatles because the Stones were more beat driven and would thus have more mass appeal. I once got in trouble with HR for pointing out to a female co-worker how sexual the driving beat in 'Undercover of the Night' was.

The real fight to be had is who is No. 3. My vote is with The Who who had a message and captured the angst of an entire generation.

Dont know about numbers, but Queen would have to be right up there for me.

14 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Has to be the Beatles - even now listening to the final 15 minutes of Abbey Road brings me close to tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

50 years ago TODAY that the Abbey Road photo was taken.

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Dont know about numbers, but Queen would have to be right up there for me.

Not forgetting Mr Brian Wilson who wrote some of the most musical of all songs, God Only Kows, Good Vibrations etc.

The Beach Boys ONLY recorded 26 surfing songs very early on, more car songs than that mainly because Capitol Records wanted 2 or even 3 albums a year, all written and produced by Brian, and since 65, so many love songs, not to mention ecology and social awareness songs.

As an Aussie I would put the rolling stones well down the list of memorable British bands.

Way behind the Beatles, the who, deep purple and black sabbath and Richie Blackmore's rainbow in their various forms, genesis in all their reincarnates.....

21 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Why do we have to "settle this" ?  55 

I saw the Rolling Stones in 79 and Jethro Tull in 78.  Jethro Tull was better IMO.  Also the Who put on an excellent live show.  I like to hear songs performed live, so Beatles since 1969 are out of that category

I do listen to the Stones more than I do the Beatles, Tull, or the Who these days. 

saw Ian Anderson and the Thick as a Brick show in Detroit in the early 70's, was very impressed, though Van Morrison's moondance tour back then was one of my faves..

Let's settle this once and for all....Beatles or Stones?

The Byrds were better than both put together. Both musically  and vocally. The Stones had very little vocal ability at all, Lennon and McCartney were better singers while the Stones were better on musical ability.

23 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I know it's hard dude. it's near impossible for me.

but if I was forced into it at gunpoint I would say stones every time.

They just had that attitude that the beatles wish they had!

Do i get to hold the gun?

Please?

Pretty please?

On 8/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, kellersphuket said:

but if someone pressed a gun to my head

Re the question.

Stones everytime.

Beatles were just too nicey nicey.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, nikmar said:

Its a bit like arguing Hendrix over Clapton. Both are brilliant for different reasons.

Hendrix was all gadgets while Clapton really could play. Back in the nineties I used to go out with Claptons bass player Jack Bruces niece, she was 20 years younger than me.

23 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Paint it black,fanbloodytastic,but then both groups are legends.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Paint it black was a dreadful song, where was the melody, Jagger was probably great to watch in concert, but certainly not a good singer, would anyone honestly like to sit in the house listening to Stones records with that voice? As bad as Peltin Elton.

23 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Could listen to Angie by the Stones all day - but then Hey Jude and Let it Be from the Beatles aren't far behind.

McCartneys credibility took a hit when he formed Wings (shockingly bad) and penned Mull of Kintyre which is the worst ear worm you can possibly have ! (When he wasn't writing songs about frogs)!

At least Mull of Kintyre had a very good melody. How many Stones songs had a good melody?

7 hours ago, sipi said:

The Beatles. 

At least I can name all the members.

The rolling stones. There was Mick singing, Keith on bass, Jeff and Barry?

The Byrds. Roger McGuinn on lead guitar and vocals, Gene Clark on vocals, David Crosby on rythm guitar and vocals, Chris Hillman on bass and vocals, Mick Clarke on drums.

Remind me again, who in the Stones were on vocals?

Hard call I am 50/50 her as these are my 2 favourite bands of all time.

However what I listen to depends if my Thai gf is being forced to listen to my music.

Me alone = Rolling Stones

2 of us = The Beatles.

No matter how hard I try it seems Thai just don't like Rock N Roll 

Her brother runs one of these loud music hires for weddings etc and when he has it set up at home I sometimes plug in my phone but I have to say the village does not appreciate rock. 

Anyone have a Thai gf/wife who appreciates western rock? 

Hard call I am 50/50 her as these are my 2 favourite bands of all time.

However what I listen to depends if my Thai gf is being forced to listen to my music.

Me alone = Rolling Stones
2 of us = The Beatles.

No matter how hard I try it seems Thai just don't like Rock N Roll 

Her brother runs one of these loud music hires for weddings etc and when he has it set up at home I sometimes plug in my phone but I have to say the village does not appreciate rock. 

Anyone have a Thai gf/wife who appreciates western rock? 
My wife loves western music ,but i never see her playing rock

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived