Let's settle this once and for all....Beatles or Stones?

1 minute ago, tutsiwarrior said:

the stones were easier to play when in a garage band in 1963...and so it came to pass that the stones were cool and the beatles were puss...

Could you not work out that third chord to be able to play Beatles?   LOL

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Record sales dont  lie..........the question is who was  better, its  been answered by record  sales, on top of that  the "covers" of both bands, Beatles way ahead in both respects.

A little off topic but Bing Crosby's "white Christmas" is the all time best selling record, I think your theory is a bit daft..

..Are you a Pinky & Perky fan, they did well too....? ...????

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

As obviously Elton John isn't either. Do you like any gay artists?

But the fact that some people like The Beatles and others The Stones, or Blur vs Oasis, or Beethoven vs Mozart or The Shadows vs The Ventures ( lol )  is what make this world a wonderful place.

Remember, one man's meat is another man's poison.

"Do you like any gay artists?" I liked Cliff Richard when I was a boy, but not his later stuff.

48 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Could you not work out that third chord to be able to play Beatles?   LOL

I tole someone earlier to take his pint of beer away...we had the scruffy image to match the scruffy blues and R&B, a recipe for success and we were a big hit at our junior high school in California, everyone can dance to the stones...ironically the reality was that the stones were art school toffs and the beatles were working class lads from Liverpool...no doubt that the beatles had better song writing talent...

we were just hoodlum wannabees with guitars but I was a surfer...couldn't figure out the open tuning on little red rooster for the slide...

39 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

the stones were easier to play when in a garage band in 1963...and so it came to pass that the stones were cool and the beatles were puss...

What has a garage go to do with a band? I used to rehears in one when I first started playing.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

What has a garage go to do with a band? I used to rehears in one when I first started playing.

well...I guess I could start by saying we didn't have a record company contract or our own recording facility...'garage band' is a manner of speaking kinda like...

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Who? Also, don't you mean Scott Engel, known as Scott Walker, he had a great singing voice, I think

he died recently.

Richard Wycherley was Billy Fury, who wrote all the songs for his first album himself, before L & Mc. Yes Scott Walker was a wonderful singer, just played Joanna on SOTS.

32 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I tole someone earlier to take his pint of beer away...we had the scruffy image to match the scruffy blues and R&B, a recipe for success and we were a big hit at our junior high school in California, everyone can dance to the stones...ironically the reality was that the stones were art school toffs and the beatles were working class lads from Liverpool...no doubt that the beatles had better song writing talent...

we were just hoodlum wannabees with guitars but I was a surfer...couldn't figure out the open tuning on little red rooster for the slide...

Then you must appreciate Mr Wilson & his brothers.

34 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If that's the case, my first band was a conservatory band, in Ashton -under-Lyne.

41 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Do you like any gay artists?" I liked Cliff Richard when I was a boy, but not his later stuff.

Sir Cliff...gay? I thought he shagged Una Stubbs...once.

The Rock & Roll album he put out three years ago was very good.

18 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Richard Wycherley was Billy Fury, who wrote all the songs for his first album himself, before L & Mc. Yes Scott Walker was a wonderful singer, just played Joanna on SOTS.

Then you must appreciate Mr Wilson & his brothers.

It wasn't Richard, it was Ronald Wycherley, and IMO, Billy Fury was one of the better British solo singers.

I’m not really old enough for this discussion, but I would argue that The Beatles are “better” from a perspective of musical and compositional quality. But if I could only choose Beatles or Rolling Stones in my Spotify I would go with the latter. The Beatles song catalogue is slightly more worn out for me. On the other hand, the Rolling Stones albums contain a lot of boring blues fillers. 

It wasn't Richard, it was Ronald Wycherley, and IMO, Billy Fury was one of the better British solo singers.

Sorry Possum, I did put Ronald in my original post. We've forgotten Sir Tom, Mr Humperdinkle, Mr Joan Collins, and Gary Barlow's pretty good too.

17 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sir Cliff...gay? I thought he shagged Una Stubbs...once.

The Rock & Roll album he put out three years ago was very good.

He also shagged the Shadows bass player Jet Harris's wife, but he lived with a guy for most of his life, maybe he was, or is bisexual.:cheesy:

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

He also shagged the Shadows bass player Jet Harris's wife, but he lived with a guy for most of his life, maybe he was, or is bisexual.:cheesy:

Yes, the very sexy Billie Davis.

Maybe he is Asexual, couldn't give a f...k ! LOL

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry Possum, I did put Ronald in my original post. We've forgotten Sir Tom, Mr Humperdinkle, Mr Joan Collins, and Gary Barlow's pretty good too.

Mr Joan Collins?? Engelbert was a far better singer than Tom Jones, Gary Barlow? The name sounds familiar, though I can't exactly place him.

1 hour ago, transam said:

A little off topic but Bing Crosby's "white Christmas" is the all time best selling record, I think your theory is a bit daft..

..Are you a Pinky & Perky fan, they did well too....? ...????

But they should not have been living like pigs with all the money they earned!   LOL

Mr Joan Collins?? Engelbert was a far better singer than Tom Jones, Gary Barlow? The name sounds familiar, though I can't exactly place him.

Mr Joan Collins was Anthony Newley and Gary Barlow is songwriter for Take That.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Mr Joan Collins was Anthony Newley and Gary Barlow is songwriter for Take That.

Mr Joan Collins was Anthony Newley, you have got me confused here, I know about Joan Collins, but she was an actress, but Anthony Newley? Was he not in that old tv show The Army Game?

Stones were always abit edgier .. a bit more provocative and Jagger is a quite brilliant front-show man .. The Beatles contributions to modern music are beyond doubt and some of their stuff are true masterpieces but they were not the live act the Stones are .. 

The live rendition of Howling Wolf's " Little Red Rooster " on the Ed Sullivan show is a classic .. 

IMG_20190810_095817.jpg

Archived