Let's settle this once and for all....Beatles or Stones?

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Mr Joan Collins was Anthony Newley, you have got me confused here, I know about Joan Collins, but she was an actress, but Anthony Newley? Was he not in that old tv show The Army Game?

No, he did Do You Mind, Strawberry Fair, What King of Fool am I, Pop Goes the Weasle, Why...he WAS in a movie in 1959 called Idle on Parade. Then he married Joan Collins in 63, died in 99 in Florida.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

No, he did Do You Mind, Strawberry Fair, What King of Fool am I, Pop Goes the Weasle, Why...he WAS in a movie in 1959 called Idle on Parade. Then he married Joan Collins in 63, died in 99 in Florida.

1959 I was just starting to take an interest in the charts at that time, I don't remember any of these songs, it as just after Buddy Holly was killed in the plane crash that I started to take an interest in the charts, I had never even heard of Buddy Holly until he died.

I need both in my life, music is a wonderful invention. Even if the Beatles and Stones are like night and day, their songs will live on forever. 

Were Paul McCartney and John Lennon better songwriters than Jagger/Richards?  Yes, most people think so when you look at their whole catalogue. 
But I prefer not to pick one over the other, it depends on my mood.  

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

1959 I was just starting to take an interest in the charts at that time, I don't remember any of these songs, it as just after Buddy Holly was killed in the plane crash that I started to take an interest in the charts, I had never even heard of Buddy Holly until he died.

Amazing to think of all the songs he did, and we still remember, in such a short recording carreer.

And as this is about The Stones or The Beatles, Not FadeAway for Mick and the boys, and the only Buddy Holly song by The BEatles......Words of Love on Bs for Sale.

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Amazing to think of all the songs he did, and we still remember, in such a short recording carreer.

And as this is about The Stones or The Beatles, Not FadeAway for Mick and the boys, and the only Buddy Holly song by The BEatles......Words of Love on Bs for Sale.

Just recently, I watched the Stones in a live show in America on youtube in the sixties singing Not Fade Away, the vocals were dreadful, a five piece band with only one vocalist? and yes, I have heard The Beatles version of Words of Love, I thought it was very good. Four members of the Byrds were all lead singers in their career, only the drummer wasn't.

Both of us started playing around the same time, there were plenty of musicians, ie, rythm and bass players who could not sing harmony playing in bands. Fast forward a good few years, and a musician who could not do vocals with the exception of the drummer would find it hard to get a job in a band.

Myself, I was never good enough to be a lead singer, although good on harmonies, but I did take the lead vocals on maybe about three songs in every gig in every band I played in.

In later years, I moved on to keyboards,  doubling up on bass guitar and playing bass with my left hand when on keyboards.

Did you do vocals when you were playing bass? I bet you did.

44 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Just recently, I watched the Stones in a live show in America on youtube in the sixties singing Not Fade Away, the vocals were dreadful, a five piece band with only one vocalist? and yes, I have heard The Beatles version of Words of Love, I thought it was very good. Four members of the Byrds were all lead singers in their career, only the drummer wasn't.

Both of us started playing around the same time, there were plenty of musicians, ie, rythm and bass players who could not sing harmony playing in bands. Fast forward a good few years, and a musician who could not do vocals with the exception of the drummer would find it hard to get a job in a band.

Myself, I was never good enough to be a lead singer, although good on harmonies, but I did take the lead vocals on maybe about three songs in every gig in every band I played in.

In later years, I moved on to keyboards,  doubling up on bass guitar and playing bass with my left hand when on keyboards.

Did you do vocals when you were playing bass? I bet you did.

My first band in 63, TheBushmen has me and my little brother doing harmonies. Then in 64 I heard Don't Worry Baby on Shut Down Vol 2 by The BEach Boys and that was it, a lifelong BB fan. In 67-70 I had a band called Florida Beach playing only BBs and 4 Seasons as we had a guy with a good falsetto, I was Mike Love! Then in 1970 I got offered a pro job playing bass in a Barron Knights type harmony/comedy bad playing the US bases in Germany, and the rest is history....

Here's something interesting to think about for all the old Beatles, Stones and any 60s musicians.

Fender, Rickenbacker, Gretsch and Gibson made 100s of 1000s if not millions of Teles, Strats, Les Pauls, SGs, 360, Country Gents etc in the 60s. Where are they all now. Let's face it a Strat isn't something you chop up, burn or throw in the rubbish when the wife stops you or cannot play it. There is always a big story when one is found 'under grandpa's bed' or in an attic. But there must be so many SOMEWHERE? Any ideas anyone please.

“We started chatting, started talking about pensions. [Mick] said, ‘after all, Laurence, I’m not going to be singing rock’n’roll when I’m 60’,” Laurence Myers, an accountant who set up a music business, told the Observer. “We roared. It was just a ridiculous thought that a young man would be singing rock’n’roll when he was 60. Needless to say, he carried on beyond 60 and he created his own pension.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/28/jumping-jack-cash-how-young-mick-jagger-planned-pension-rolling-stones

Enjoy!

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, spidermike007 said:

Most definitely the Beatles. The Stones are not even a close second. Jagger? Really? I did not like alot of their earlier music. But from the White album forward, what can one say? The music still sounds fresh fifty years later. 

I can't say The Beatles, as if they were the same group for their entire existence. There was the pop group that sang sweet songs about love and loss, and the LSD insanity that overtook them from Sgt Pepper on. I loved ( as we all did ) the Beatles for the first part- the music from A Hard Day's Night can't be bettered, but will not even listen to some of their later work- some of it is demented.

There is no comparison with the Stones- cleverly marketed as the "bad boys of British pop". They just did covers of American singers at the start. I didn't even begin to like them till many years later, and now do like them a lot. Trying to make an comparison is like comparing the sea and the mountains- both scenery, but not in any way the same.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

“We started chatting, started talking about pensions. [Mick] said, ‘after all, Laurence, I’m not going to be singing rock’n’roll when I’m 60’,” Laurence Myers, an accountant who set up a music business, told the Observer. “We roared. It was just a ridiculous thought that a young man would be singing rock’n’roll when he was 60. Needless to say, he carried on beyond 60 and he created his own pension.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/28/jumping-jack-cash-how-young-mick-jagger-planned-pension-rolling-stones

Enjoy!

I remember an interview Jagger did when he said he wouldn't be playing in a group at 40.

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Here's something interesting to think about for all the old Beatles, Stones and any 60s musicians.

Fender, Rickenbacker, Gretsch and Gibson made 100s of 1000s if not millions of Teles, Strats, Les Pauls, SGs, 360, Country Gents etc in the 60s. Where are they all now. Let's face it a Strat isn't something you chop up, burn or throw in the rubbish when the wife stops you or cannot play it. There is always a big story when one is found 'under grandpa's bed' or in an attic. But there must be so many SOMEWHERE? Any ideas anyone please.

I can't agree. There are so many classic cars that have vanished, that people do scrap great things. How many E Type Jags do you see on the roads now?

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't agree. There are so many classic cars that have vanished, that people do scrap great things. How many E Type Jags do you see on the roads now?

But cars go rusty and can be taken to the knacker's yard, and just how many e Types were made (most beautiful car EVER).

There were millions of guitars made. But yes, some plonkers must have destroyed them

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, wgdanson said:

The Beach Boys.............phenominal, not only in 60s but their later stuff. Met them in 88, lovely guys especially Al & Carl.

Think about it- how many groups are there now that are anywhere as good as the ones that started in the 60s?

IMO- NONE. Even Fleetwood Mac started way before they became huge with Rumours.

There must be a reason, but I can't think of one that makes sense.

"The Beatles and The Stones fought in the parking lot...and Led Zeppelin won."

- A writer for a rock mag whose name escapes me

On the real side, I love both groups equally.

In a way, it's an unfair comparison as The Beatles only existed as a group for ~8 years, and the Stones have a 50+ year catalog to draw from.

Is that like chosing between beeing beaten or stoned? That clearly makes it more easy. I will chose Stones.

However, there is much talk from the OP that the choice would have to be made under gunpoint. Who in their right mind put a gun to someones head and make them chose the best music? I guess that´s a perfect reason to say TIT.

I could go either way because for me they are feel good bands that were the background for some good times, but they are not bands that I would choose on Spotify and I never owned any of their stuff. I would rather listen to something more instrumentally sophisticated with a minimum of cheesy lyrics. Put on some jazz, some Floyd or even Rush. And I could listen to Sultan's of Swing ten times a day.

But for what  it's worth I do like Angie and Paint it black. And there are dozen Beatle's songs that I will sing along to if their on.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Think about it- how many groups are there now that are anywhere as good as the ones that started in the 60s?

IMO- NONE. Even Fleetwood Mac started way before they became huge with Rumours.

There must be a reason, but I can't think of one that makes sense.

ain't no comparison between Peter Green's earlier Fleetwood Mac and the later manifestation except for the name and the drums and bass...Peter Green was hard blues and R&B and the other was 'easy listening'...and that the later one sold a lot more records signifying the decline of western civilization from the glory of the 60s...

listen carefully and you'll find that the beatles had a lot of R&B influences which were continued when John Lennon left the band...McCartney then went all 'bubble gum', band on the run was nauseating...

On 8/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Hated everything Zeppelin did, except Stairway. 

No matter how bad a band was/ is, they usually do at least one song I like. Even The Spice Girls managed one nice one.

Stairway to heaven?

Second only to Bohemiem Rhapsody as self indulgent pretentious rubbish.

Both were dreadful.

I gotta admit that stairway to heaven never impressed me but it was operatic and that impressed a lot of folks...I always liked the earlier led zep with emphasis on de blues...the vocal at the end of you shook me I always liked with some of Jimmy Page's best licks and the intro to I can't quit you baby is grand as well...turned on a lot of teenagers to de blues... worried shifty eyed teachers in high school hallways thinkin' what's goin' on here...they always had a siege mentality...

Beatles beyond a doubt- later stuff was edgy and great guitar music once they got away from the early Twist and Shout guff.  It still rates today.

Stones were middle class guys pretending to be rebels and Mick prancing about on stage at his age is ridiculous.  To be fair Gimme Shelter with Lisa Fischer as a backing singer (her own stuff is worth a listen) is a classic Vietnam helicopter song. 

Put it this way- when I am driving and a Stones tune comes on I shuffle past it normally. later Beatles stuff I pump up the volume.

Archived