Britain will face some food shortages in a no-deal Brexit: trade body

snoop1130

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Yes, you should know by now that only Remainers are allowed to use terms like moron and resort to personal attacks. It’s kinda their thing. (Where did that guy go? Is he now posting under a fake ID?)

Stop generalizing. I was commenting on a specific poster, of which you seem to be cut from the same cloth.

Yep, all too reminiscent of the hysterical "Millennium Bug" scaremongering that was being whipped up 20 years ago, I think. Those of us with sufficiently long memories can well recall what happened (or rather didn't) at the stroke of midnight on 31st December 1999/1st January 2000.
So there is plans to get food in quick then?

If not then its completely different

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, juice777 said:

It said warehouses are full it doesn't say full with food dose it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's predominantly food and medicine (which in case you aren't aware is also available from outside the EU and there is nothing stopping us buying it from there if the EU want to mess us about).

On the one hand Remainers say we have no space in warehouses because we stockpiled when we thought we were leaving in March, and on the other hand we haven't got any food. What do you think we were stockpiling in March? Father Christmas outfits?

I heard one Remainer complaining that we have too much lamb to export so we'll have to slaughter them. Another one was saying we won't be able to import enough lamb. Hmmm, I think I may have a cunning solution here that involves consuming local produce.

My opinion? In the short term a few items may cost a little bit more, a very small amount of items might not be available or different brands of the same item might be on the shelves instead. Within 6 months everyone will be wondering what the fuss was all about. Within 2 years we will start to see tangible benefits including lower prices as we sign trade deals around the world.

If the EU is still pouting that we left their special club then you'll be seeing more Hondas, Subaru, Toyotas, Lexus, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia's, Nissan etc. on British roads and a lot less Citroen, Seat, BMW, Renault, Mercedes. A lot more products from Commonwealth countries, Asia and the US. Australian and South African wines. Local craft beers. South American products. It could be a cultural awakening for British consumers. Of course, if the EU wakes up and grows up and signs a trade deal they might not lose too much of than 68 Billion pound trade surplus. Up to them.

18 hours ago, anterian said:

There will not be a shortage of food, there could well be a shortage of choice.

How do you know? Can you provide us with the research you did on supply, demand, and supply chains to validate your assertion please?

Or do you just believe the Brexit spin-doctors?

3 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

More scaremongering from the Remain camp. We should have spent the last 3 years contingent planing for no deal and then all would be fine now. 

Yeah right. Better to plan to fall off a cliff than fall unplanned!

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

It's predominantly food and medicine (which in case you aren't aware is also available from outside the EU and there is nothing stopping us buying it from there if the EU want to mess us about).

On the one hand Remainers say we have no space in warehouses because we stockpiled when we thought we were leaving in March, and on the other hand we haven't got any food. What do you think we were stockpiling in March? Father Christmas outfits?

I heard one Remainer complaining that we have too much lamb to export so we'll have to slaughter them. Another one was saying we won't be able to import enough lamb. Hmmm, I think I may have a cunning solution here that involves consuming local produce.

My opinion? In the short term a few items may cost a little bit more, a very small amount of items might not be available or different brands of the same item might be on the shelves instead. Within 6 months everyone will be wondering what the fuss was all about. Within 2 years we will start to see tangible benefits including lower prices as we sign trade deals around the world.

If the EU is still pouting that we left their special club then you'll be seeing more Hondas, Subaru, Toyotas, Lexus, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia's, Nissan etc. on British roads and a lot less Citroen, Seat, BMW, Renault, Mercedes. A lot more products from Commonwealth countries, Asia and the US. Australian and South African wines. Local craft beers. South American products. It could be a cultural awakening for British consumers. Of course, if the EU wakes up and grows up and signs a trade deal they might not lose too much of than 68 Billion pound trade surplus. Up to them.

Hmmm. We don't have any trade agreements outside the EU. They will need to be set up along with any tariff agreements. Not something that happens overnight - usually takes years to negotiate and agree. Similarly we don't have any supply chains set up, which again don't happen overnight.

Please don't spout WTO like that stupid parrot Farage. The EU is a member, the UK not. Joining and being able to trade on WTO terms isn't something that happens quickly either. 

The current government have demonstrated over and over they don't give a toss about the people, the truth or doing what's best for the country. They'll make sure they're ok along with their families. Wait for -some <deleted>-Tory to mention rationing, austerity, Victorian spirit etc etc.

16 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Time to reduce that 28% until it balances what we export to the EU.

Yes, will be easy to get milk and milk products, tomatoes, beans and other vegetables, strawberries, meat and so on from very far away. And so cheap.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/23/uk-food-imports-from-eu-face-9bn-tariff-bill-under-no-deal-brexit

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-global-and-uk-supply

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Hmmm. We don't have any trade agreements outside the EU. They will need to be set up along with any tariff agreements. Not something that happens overnight - usually takes years to negotiate and agree. Similarly we don't have any supply chains set up, which again don't happen overnight.

Please don't spout WTO like that stupid parrot Farage. The EU is a member, the UK not. Joining and being able to trade on WTO terms isn't something that happens quickly either. 

The current government have demonstrated over and over they don't give a toss about the people, the truth or doing what's best for the country. They'll make sure they're ok along with their families. Wait for -some <deleted>-Tory to mention rationing, austerity, Victorian spirit etc etc.

Are you suggesting that we will be unable to purchase anything from any foreign countries on 1st November because we don't have a trade deal?

30 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Time to reduce that 28% until it balances what we export to the EU.

From an outsider watching this drama, what makes you think you will be able to export to the EU after brexit?  It appears that one of the objections that leavers had was the EU regulations, but won't you still have to meet EU import regulations? If you don't export to the EU, where will you export your food products?

One further question, after leaving the EU, the United Kingdom will fall under WTO.  Has the current government begun to develop the schedules needed to trade using the WTO or is that waiting until after brexit? Or is the anticipation that everything will go smoothly or to paraphrase the trump 'it will be a bigly mess'.

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Are you suggesting that we will be unable to purchase anything from any foreign countries on 1st November because we don't have a trade deal?

Did you notice that the main problem evoked in the OP was the delay resulting from custom operations in the UK. Imports from outside the EU will be subject to the same problem.

19 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Brilliant!

1st November, just in time for my pre-Xmas diet.

Talking of which, will we still get turkeys, or should I panic buy now ?  I have put away 41 lires of milk, 15 kilos of sugar, 17 chickens, 2 hams, half a pig, 48 tins of carrots, similar amount of tinned potatoes and 32 2kg bags of frozen crinkle cut chips.......... and a couple Xmas puddings.........  just in case......... oh! ------ and 2 dozen boxes of candles in case of power cuts.

don't forget the logs for the fire, supposed to be the coldest winter in 49 years...

Yep, all too reminiscent of the hysterical "Millennium Bug" scaremongering that was being whipped up 20 years ago, I think. Those of us with sufficiently long memories can well recall what happened (or rather didn't) at the stroke of midnight on 31st December 1999/1st January 2000.
One wonders if all Hard Brexiteers cannot tell the difference between supply chain logistics and software data format issues.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, candide said:

Did you notice that the main problem evoked in the OP was the delay resulting from custom operations in the UK. Imports from outside the EU will be subject to the same problem.

I would say the problem is hugely exaggerated. Existing trade deals with countries outside EU which UK are currently part of as member of the EU will be transitioned and preparations are under way to make sure flow of goods will not be disrupted. Don't worry, we got this.

It is important to comprehend that other countries will want to assume trade without friction. This includes Germany, France and any other country that relies heavily on exporting their goods to UK. 

Of course every CEO will attempt to scare the living daylight out of 'people'; the ability to trade freely and move capital across borders is what puts money in the pockets of their employers. Only naive fools believe that globalism is some sort of romantic idea that is promoted in order to make things better for 'people'. Did anyone actually fall for that lie? 

So, stop worrying about the food, medicines, cars and champagne. You see, if we don't buy those products from the French and the Germans, THEY will go bankrupt and be miserable. WE can buy the stuff from someone else. How's that for negotiating position...? 

10 minutes ago, Forethat said:

You see, if we don't buy those products from the French and the Germans, THEY will go bankrupt and be miserable. WE can buy the stuff from someone else.

Sure, you can buy wine, food, medicine, chemicals, cars and so on from outside the EU. From countries with them you have no trade contracts. So they charge for imports from the UK by example 20% tariffs, the UK charge them 20% too - and who has to pay? Sure, you can make quick trade contracts. Quick means a couple of years what is needed usually. And hey, the strawberries from outside the EU, perhaps from South America are for sure very tasty after the long trip. You are so naive. 

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Fun fact: the UK produces 53% of it´s food itself. 47% are imported, 28% are coming from the EU right now.

What year is that data from? For 2017 (which I believe is the latest statistics available) the numbers are 50% produced in UK, 30% from EU.

11 minutes ago, Forethat said:

It is important to comprehend that other countries will want to assume trade without friction. This includes Germany, France and any other country that relies heavily on exporting their goods to UK. 

In case of 'no deal', as mentioned before, the 'friction' problem will be located in the UK, not in the EU. Due to custom procedures, the friction will happen in the importing country.

Archived