Britain will face some food shortages in a no-deal Brexit: trade body

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Sticking an 'X' in a box without the faintest idea of the consequences (unless you're going to enlighten us now) doesn't involve an ounce of courage or conviction so you need to stop bigging yourself up.

With all due respect, a complete and utter absence of knowledge related to the consequences of a Brexit is what unites the vast majority of voters - regardless of whether they voted remain or leave.

And before you go any further, reciting alleged gonorrhoea epidemics doesn't count as knowledge. Not even if you read it in the Guardian.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Forethat said:

With all due respect, a complete and utter absence of knowledge related to the consequences of a Brexit is what unites the vast majority of voters - regardless of whether they voted remain or leave.

And before you go any further, reciting alleged gonorrhoea epidemics doesn't count as knowledge. Not even if you read it in the Guardian.

Yes we agree 100% ! Of course there was a massive absence of knowledge for everyone. It was a ridiculous referendum and no one stood a chance of comprehending it at that time, leavers and remainers as you correctly say, as the information just wasn't there to make an informed choice. 

Now that knowledge is largely out there - people CAN make an informed choice, or at least way more informed than they were - and if it came out leave again I would be championing the case for you. However even just today another IPSOS poll (I'm sure someone is going to now attack it as bias or too small - yawn) has said just 38% of the population (not just those that voted) now want to leave. 

So the government doesn't want No Deal, the MP's don't want No Deal, the public don't want No Deal and as sure as eggs are eggs, industry and the job creators don't want No Deal - so who does now ?

The entire planet now know the UK are desperate for trade deals so what kind of deals do you think they will be offering given the UK's desperate position ? 

30 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Sticking an 'X' in a box without the faintest idea of the consequences (unless you're going to enlighten us now) doesn't involve an ounce of courage or conviction so you need to stop bigging yourself up. It involves blind faith based on nothing and a willingness to risk the 5th largest economy in the world to rid the UK of some foreigners!

Has anyone answered my question yet as to why the pound isn't flying given how wonderful Brexit is going to be ?

Your problem is that you think facts trump opinions and feelings ... not in the populist era, where ignorance and dumbassery is the new normal. Keep up!

8 hours ago, remobb said:

Good. Buy British, support our farmers and growers. You could also grow your own. Don't NEED foreign food, we just want it. So change your ways. We did ok before the EU.

The UK can not provide its population with food completely on its own. The UK relies on food imports.

22 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

and you're missing basic economics - they cannot resume on existing deals as they were negotiated from within the EU with the power of the EU budget behind them - the UK is a much smaller player and will be unlikely to offer the same terms. That's the benefit of being in a wealthier club!

If there is a choice between dealing with the EU and the UK then the EU with its 6 times bigger GDP, which enables it to offer deeper discounts and concessions, will win out more often than it loses. Scale means success in business. Its basic stuff which brexiteers just can't comprehend. 

Then there the logistics of getting stuff in and out of the UK which currently isn't a problem but will become one - some companies may work on that, others will just think stuff it as several have threatened to do, especially those with 'just in time' requirements.

If the UK can offer something that is not produced elsewhere fine, but right now apart from clotted cream, I can't think of anything !

In terms of player size, 14% of French total food production is exported to the UK. It doesn't come as a surprise that the French minister of agriculture has admitted their weak position by openly declaring that French fishing vessels will ignore international laws and continue to fish in British waters. Basic economics tells us that the French are likely to be more eager to strike a deal than what the left wing journalism are prepared to admit.

Funny how the French are now prepared to commit an international crime only to prevent a large chunk off their fishing fleet to be grounded - which is EXACTLY what Britain had to endure when they joined EU. Som nam na.

26 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Now that knowledge is largely out there - people CAN make an informed choice, or at least way more informed than they were - and if it came out leave again I would be championing the case for you.

What "knowledge" are you referring to? Various STD outbreaks or shortage of cancer treatment supplies? Starving children, riots and looting? Breadlines in every major UK city? 8% off UK economy in one year? Brexit will destroy western civilisation? If anything, people are more misinformed than ever. 

56 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Of course there was a massive absence of knowledge for everyone.

No, it wasn´t. All was told. But some people prefer to hear what they want to hear like "the UK will become mighty again and the sun will always shine". That´s not only a British problem. 

42 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Then thank goodness I have a Thai wife.

Hmm..

I can't help noticing that compared to 40 years ago there are a lot more tubby tellys here then 40 years ago.

KFC is making a lot of money and not only from home sick big noses.

Try the Big C challenge.

Go to your nearest mall and find a good place to people watch.

Now seriously start to do a survey of every Thai you see. Do it on paper if you are serious. Note how many are packing excess blubber. Not as bad as say....Manchester but definitely times are changing for the worse.

Food shortages in the UK. For sure ! Caviar sales will plummet and as for truffles .... well, just forget it.

3 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Sticking an 'X' in a box without the faintest idea of the consequences (unless you're going to enlighten us now) doesn't involve an ounce of courage or conviction so you need to stop bigging yourself up. It involves blind faith based on nothing and a willingness to risk the 5th largest economy in the world to rid the UK of some foreigners!

Has anyone answered my question yet as to why the pound isn't flying given how wonderful Brexit is going to be ?

Methinks you'll be keeping your head down on Monday...

Image result for grouse gif

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It's predominantly food and medicine (which in case you aren't aware is also available from outside the EU and there is nothing stopping us buying it from there if the EU want to mess us about).

On the one hand Remainers say we have no space in warehouses because we stockpiled when we thought we were leaving in March, and on the other hand we haven't got any food. What do you think we were stockpiling in March? Father Christmas outfits?

I heard one Remainer complaining that we have too much lamb to export so we'll have to slaughter them. Another one was saying we won't be able to import enough lamb. Hmmm, I think I may have a cunning solution here that involves consuming local produce.

My opinion? In the short term a few items may cost a little bit more, a very small amount of items might not be available or different brands of the same item might be on the shelves instead. Within 6 months everyone will be wondering what the fuss was all about. Within 2 years we will start to see tangible benefits including lower prices as we sign trade deals around the world.

If the EU is still pouting that we left their special club then you'll be seeing more Hondas, Subaru, Toyotas, Lexus, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia's, Nissan etc. on British roads and a lot less Citroen, Seat, BMW, Renault, Mercedes. A lot more products from Commonwealth countries, Asia and the US. Australian and South African wines. Local craft beers. South American products. It could be a cultural awakening for British consumers. Of course, if the EU wakes up and grows up and signs a trade deal they might not lose too much of than 68 Billion pound trade surplus. Up to them.

I could not agree more. ????

It's predominantly food and medicine (which in case you aren't aware is also available from outside the EU and there is nothing stopping us buying it from there if the EU want to mess us about).

On the one hand Remainers say we have no space in warehouses because we stockpiled when we thought we were leaving in March, and on the other hand we haven't got any food. What do you think we were stockpiling in March? Father Christmas outfits?

I heard one Remainer complaining that we have too much lamb to export so we'll have to slaughter them. Another one was saying we won't be able to import enough lamb. Hmmm, I think I may have a cunning solution here that involves consuming local produce.

My opinion? In the short term a few items may cost a little bit more, a very small amount of items might not be available or different brands of the same item might be on the shelves instead. Within 6 months everyone will be wondering what the fuss was all about. Within 2 years we will start to see tangible benefits including lower prices as we sign trade deals around the world.

If the EU is still pouting that we left their special club then you'll be seeing more Hondas, Subaru, Toyotas, Lexus, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia's, Nissan etc. on British roads and a lot less Citroen, Seat, BMW, Renault, Mercedes. A lot more products from Commonwealth countries, Asia and the US. Australian and South African wines. Local craft beers. South American products. It could be a cultural awakening for British consumers. Of course, if the EU wakes up and grows up and signs a trade deal they might not lose too much of than 68 Billion pound trade surplus. Up to them.

This is probably the best post I've seen on this subject.

Project fear is more or less the millennium bug Mk 2.

The Welsh farmers said something like 80% of their lamb was exported to the EU and if tariffs came into play with No Deal, they would be priced out of the market.

Never mind, flood the UK market with their surplus lamb, driving the price down so they go bankrupt.

It wasn't Remainers talking about the lack of warehouse space, it was The Food and Drink Federation (FDF).

As for signing deals around the world, has it occurred to you, the UK, alone, will have little clout in signing deals with other countries when compared to the size of the EU?

We will be at a serious disadvantage, desperate and lonely, to secure trading agreements. Other countries, especially those like the US , will know our weakness and punish us accordingly.

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

The Welsh farmers said something like 80% of their lamb was exported to the EU and if tariffs came into play with No Deal, they would be priced out of the market.

Never mind, flood the UK market with their surplus lamb, driving the price down so they go bankrupt.

It wasn't Remainers talking about the lack of warehouse space, it was The Food and Drink Federation (FDF).

As for signing deals around the world, has it occurred to you, the UK, alone, will have little clout in signing deals with other countries when compared to the size of the EU?

We will be at a serious disadvantage, desperate and lonely, to secure trading agreements. Other countries, especially those like the US , will know our weakness and punish us accordingly.

With 39 billion to play with a few subsidies may soften such hardship - IF PROVED TO BE REAL.

16 minutes ago, bannork said:

Utterly deceptive twaddle-speak, says I.

35% of Welsh lamb is exported. Out of the 35%, 92.5% is for the EU market.

https://meatpromotion.wales/en

Why is it that remainers are so keen on throwing figures around without checking the facts?

9 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Utterly deceptive twaddle-speak, says I.

35% of Welsh lamb is exported. Out of the 35%, 92.5% is for the EU market.

https://meatpromotion.wales/en

Why is it that remainers are so keen on throwing figures around without checking the facts?

Apologies, it is indeed 'only '35%'. it is the subsidy from the EU that is 80%.

To quote the BBC

Currently, as members of the EU's single market and customs union, Welsh lamb exports do not face import taxes. But without a deal, lamb products could face tariffs of more than 40%.

EU tariffs on most agricultural products can be very high - dairy averages more than 35% and for some meat products, such as lamb, it is more than 40%.

As the UK is still a member of the EU, it applies EU tariffs to goods coming in from the rest of the world, but has no tariffs with the EU itself.

But Brexit will change that.

The UK could choose to reduce the tariffs for goods coming from the EU - in order to keep trade flowing through ports like Dover. But it would have to offer the same reductions to all other countries as well.

From an outsider watching this drama, what makes you think you will be able to export to the EU after brexit?  It appears that one of the objections that leavers had was the EU regulations, but won't you still have to meet EU import regulations? If you don't export to the EU, where will you export your food products?

One further question, after leaving the EU, the United Kingdom will fall under WTO.  Has the current government begun to develop the schedules needed to trade using the WTO or is that waiting until after brexit? Or is the anticipation that everything will go smoothly or to paraphrase the trump 'it will be a bigly mess'.

Another one who believes all the Remainer propaganda. Do you really believe that it will all stop?

Are you allowed out without adult supervision?

'Flicker than us' has worn so thin that I no longer bother with it but who are you to continuously spout such crap in every post and why are you hell bent on failure?
We're leaving whether you like it or not. Any gloating will be in the other direction in due course but I see no reason to unduly rub it in just yet 

No, better to rub it in now. They’ll have all done themselves in the on the night before Brexit, just in case Armageddon is true.

On 8/7/2019 at 12:45 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

We love you Boris! ???? https://www.theweek.co.uk/96429/ten-fattest-countries-in-europe

UK is third most obese country in Europe. Shortage of food is needed to destroy the fat asses.

Boris the Great - who brings strength and fitness to the UK ????

And a reduced pound means more holidays in the UK and spending money for the British economy like a good patriot should - we're Backing Britain - thank you Boris. Thailand can keep it's crappy sex tourism, rigged elections , dangerous roads , polluted seas and rip off scam artists. 

Image result for holiday in the uk 1960s

11 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Come on grouse does that matter. People have thew right to vote for what ever reason, its their choice. Or will you be saying those who have university degrees should get the vote only or possibly two.

People voted and it should be respected regardless what may or may not happen. It is called democracy.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:55 AM, anterian said:

There will not be a shortage of food, there could well be a shortage of choice.

And no bad thing. People can use their gardens to grow vegetables,  eat less food in general and be fitter,  better people. Its ridiculous how much cheap food is in UK supermarkets. Its not natural or healthy. Just like the EU. Not natural, not healthy.

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Come on grouse does that matter. People have thew right to vote for what ever reason, its their choice. Or will you be saying those who have university degrees should get the vote only or possibly two.

People voted and it should be respected regardless what may or may not happen. It is called democracy.

The remainder are a bleak reminder of how extreme left wing values have no time for democracy or 'the will of the people.'

20 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The remainder are a bleak reminder of how extreme left wing values have no time for democracy or 'the will of the people.'

Only 37% of the electorate voted for Leave, hardly 'the will of the people'.

Archived