Britain will face some food shortages in a no-deal Brexit: trade body

snoop1130

I read this pity thing, on another topic, about a 62 old British guy who want to go back to the U.K. to work again :

"I've been talking to a few old contacts in the UK and so far it is not looking too favourable. HGV technician jobs seem be paying the same as back in 2008/9. Accomodation is the killerthough. Mates saying not goback." 

I find it astounding that some British people tell compatriots to not come to live anymore in the U.K..

There is definitely something wrong in the U.K., at least according to some. 

Maybe things will change, for the best, once Brexit is finally implanted. 

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, bannork said:

Only 37% of the electorate voted for Leave, hardly 'the will of the people'.

While you're at it - please remind me of the percentage of the electorate that voted for Remain..?

The real answer is that 37.41% of the electorate voted for 'Leave' and 34.62% voted for Remain.

Fancy that, only 34.62% voted to Remain. Now is the time when you'll play the racist-card, yes?

52 minutes ago, Forethat said:

While you're at it - please remind me of the percentage of the electorate that voted for Remain..?

The real answer is that 37.41% of the electorate voted for 'Leave' and 34.62% voted for Remain.

Fancy that, only 34.62% voted to Remain. Now is the time when you'll play the racist-card, yes?

The racist card? What are you on about?

37.41% voted to leave, 34.62% voted to remain, 27.97% didn't vote.

That does not make Leave 'the will of the people'

It's the will of 37.41% only.

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

If the other 63% had voted how do you know which way? 

Also, if you don't use your vote you can't complain

It's not 63%, it's 27.97%, 34.62% voted to remain.

I don't know which way the 27.97% would have voted, but what is sure, they didn't vote to leave.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

I read this pity thing, on another topic, about a 62 old British guy who want to go back to the U.K. to work again :

"I've been talking to a few old contacts in the UK and so far it is not looking too favourable. HGV technician jobs seem be paying the same as back in 2008/9. Accomodation is the killerthough. Mates saying not goback." 

I find it astounding that some British people tell compatriots to not come to live anymore in the U.K..

There is definitely something wrong in the U.K., at least according to some. 

Maybe things will change, for the best, once Brexit is finally implanted. 

"accomodation is the killer though" not helped by the over 2 million eu migrants living in britain,what does that tell you aboutthe eu?

34 minutes ago, bannork said:

The racist card? What are you on about?

37.41% voted to leave, 34.62% voted to remain, 27.97% didn't vote.

That does not make Leave 'the will of the people'

It's the will of 37.41% only.

It does under the rules in which it took place. 

Should Liverpool be given a 'people's penalty' after cocking theirs up during the Community shield last Sunday?

14 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Sticking an 'X' in a box without the faintest idea of the consequences (unless you're going to enlighten us now) doesn't involve an ounce of courage or conviction so you need to stop bigging yourself up. It involves blind faith based on nothing and a willingness to risk the 5th largest economy in the world to rid the UK of some foreigners!

Has anyone answered my question yet as to why the pound isn't flying given how wonderful Brexit is going to be ?

"to rid the uk of some foreigners"? got to resort to playing the race card as you can,t think of anything sensible to say."why the pound isn,t flying" simple old boy because the "city" and the hedge funds have sniffed an earner and the shiny arsed spivs are boosting up the pucker factor,we,re due a recession and its in the post,house sales are not happening in the south east due to the first time buyer being unable to get on the housing ladder,if you look back to the late 80,s you,ll see a paralell.

4 minutes ago, kingdong said:

"to rid the uk of some foreigners"? got to resort to playing the race card as you can,t think of anything sensible to say."why the pound isn,t flying" simple old boy because the "city" and the hedge funds have sniffed an earner and the shiny arsed spivs are boosting up the pucker factor,we,re due a recession and its in the post,house sales are not happening in the south east due to the first time buyer being unable to get on the housing ladder,if you look back to the late 80,s you,ll see a paralell.

"why the pound isn,t flying" simple old boy because the "city" and the hedge funds have sniffed an earner and the shiny arsed spivs are boosting up the pucker factor,'

And how would the "shiny arsed spivs" exploit this if markets didn't believe that Brexit was bad for the UK economy? The people who trade currency are in it for the money. As long as there's lots of volatility they stand to make (or lose) plenty. Yours is just an incoherent rant.

54 minutes ago, kingdong said:

what does that tell you about the eu?

That the E.U. is an entity, where each of its citizens are freely allowed to come and go.

Comparable, to Great Britain, where English, Scottish, Welsh, North-Irish, are also free to come and go.

Now a majority of the voting people in the U.K. decided they don't want to be part of the E.U. anymore,

fair enough.

However it seems that your parliament, and a lot of U.K. citizens, are not convince, so far, that this is a  good idea for the welfare of the country.

This is an internal affair that the U.K. will have to resolve, not that easy apparently.

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Only 37% of the electorate voted for Leave, hardly 'the will of the people'.

You come out with this rediculous statement when it suits you, you are being very disingenuous of your use of stats.

I thought the figure that voted to leave was actually 27% and the figure to remain was even less, so to say that leave is not the will of the people, it would suggest to most right minded thinking people that remain is even less the will of the people.

And just because 27% of the people voted to leave it doesn't follow that 73% would have voted to remain, even if babies were given the vote.

56 minutes ago, vogie said:

You come out with this rediculous statement when it suits you, you are being very disingenuous of your use of stats.

I thought the figure that voted to leave was actually 27% and the figure to remain was even less, so to say that leave is not the will of the people, it would suggest to most right minded thinking people that remain is even less the will of the people.

And just because 27% of the people voted to leave it doesn't follow that 73% would have voted to remain, even if babies were given the vote.

It just annoys me when Leavers claim the result of the referendum shows 'The will of the people' as a poster did a few days ago. It doesn't, it only shows the will of 37% of the adult population.

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

It just annoys me when Leavers claim the result of the referendum shows 'The will of the people' as a poster did a few days ago. It doesn't, it only shows the will of 37% of the adult population.

But showing disingenuous stats does your arguement no favours whatsoever, you never show that the voters that actually voted to remain was only 34%, to which you are only telling half the story, so for people to compare they would need both sets of stats.

But the bigger picture is that it was a nearly record turnout for a vote with 73% of the voting population turning out to vote.

But it is the will of the people, you cannot count babies, under 18s and people that cannot be bothered to vote in your stats. The only figures that count are the people that voted, which was very high on referendum day.

The 'friction' I am talking about is far more complex than French lorries in a holding pen. The 'friction' I refer to is the financial crisis ultimately caused by disrupting trade. People tend to believe that UK is the only victim in case that happens, when in fact, given our trade deficit, we are likely to be the least victim. France and Germany, on the other hand, are at serious risk. Why do you think France and Germany are so afraid of seeing UK leave the EU? 

Trust me, logistical issues are being addressed as we speak - we got this! 
"Trust me, logistical issues are being addressed as we speak - we got this!"

Care to show some link or something?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

"accomodation is the killer though" not helped by the over 2 million eu migrants living in britain,what does that tell you aboutthe eu?
It tells me more about the one obsession of the Hard Brexiteers whose racist card trumps all economics and why they are happy to walk off the cliff.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The 'friction' I am talking about is far more complex than French lorries in a holding pen. The 'friction' I refer to is the financial crisis ultimately caused by disrupting trade. People tend to believe that UK is the only victim in case that happens, when in fact, given our trade deficit, we are likely to be the least victim. France and Germany, on the other hand, are at serious risk. Why do you think France and Germany are so afraid of seeing UK leave the EU? 

Trust me, logistical issues are being addressed as we speak - we got this! 
Trust Hard Brexiteers! Today's star pitch..

But showing disingenuous stats does your arguement no favours whatsoever, you never show that the voters that actually voted to remain was only 34%, to which you are only telling half the story, so for people to compare they would need both sets of stats.
But the bigger picture is that it was a nearly record turnout for a vote with 73% of the voting population turning out to vote.
But it is the will of the people, you cannot count babies, under 18s and people that cannot be bothered to vote in your stats. The only figures that count are the people that voted, which was very high on referendum day.

It wasn't a vote for a for Hard Brexit no-Deal, but plug away.

"why the pound isn,t flying" simple old boy because the "city" and the hedge funds have sniffed an earner and the shiny arsed spivs are boosting up the pucker factor,'
And how would the "shiny arsed spivs" exploit this if markets didn't believe that Brexit was bad for the UK economy? The people who trade currency are in it for the money. As long as there's lots of volatility they stand to make (or lose) plenty. Yours is just an incoherent rant.
I think when someone is using terms such as "shiny arsed spivs" they are showing their age and putting themselves firmly in the Grumpy Old Guys category. Their sense of economics garnered from the days of Arthur Daley. As for FX trading, they haven't a clue.

34 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Trust Hard Brexiteers! Today's star pitch..

Yes - we are working hard to address the issues and risks identified related to a whole range of potential outcomes of the current processes related to UK leaving the EU. No Deal is one of them, but not the only one.

Difficult to comprehend for many, but, YES, this involves logistical and fiscal issues and you can trust that we ARE addressing them.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

It wasn't a vote for a for Hard Brexit no-Deal, but plug away.

I hear this argument all the time. "The Leave option didn't specify the DETAILS of the leave". 

I'd like to flip the argument around and ask if the Remain option specified the details of the remain? No?

More importantly, when UK voted in 1975 to enter EC membership, did that referendum specify the details of the future membership? No?

I've said it many times before; debating remainers on the topic of Brexit is rather like playing chess with a pigeon — they will knock the pieces over, crap on the board, and fly back to their flock to claim victory.

9 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I hear this argument all the time. "The Leave option didn't specify the DETAILS of the leave". 

I'd like to flip the argument around and ask if the Remain option specified the details of the remain? No?

More importantly, when UK voted in 1975 to enter EC membership, did that referendum specify the details of the future membership? No?

I've said it many times before; debating remainers on the topic of Brexit is rather like playing chess with a pigeon — they will knock the pieces over, crap on the board, and fly back to their flock to claim victory.

The details of Remain were easy. Remain as we are. As for 1975, it's the past, 44 years ago, let's deal with the present.

The devil is in the details for Leave .

Right lets see what shortages we could have.mmmm

French wine. Way over rated and over priced. Better alternatives in South Africa, Chile and Australia.

Cheese better versions in the UK made locally.

Fruit and veg, sourced better and cheaper outside the EU.

Fish we will not need to buy our own fish back at inflated prices. Cheaper and more fish supply home grown (Europhiles hate that thought)

So whats all the posturing and fuss about. The EU is not the world. They are a closed protectionist racquet that the UK want out besides some spinless, undemocratic whingers.

Besides a few exotic goods the rest of the world produce better and cheaper. Belgian chocolate, who really cares.

8 minutes ago, bannork said:

The details of Remain were easy. Remain as we are.

Am I to understand that you lot will not be adhering to or implement any decisions made in the EU Commission then...? Or did you just knock the pieces over and crapped on the board? May I suggest you fly back to your flock and claim victory!

For unprocessed foods, such as fruits, vegetables or meat, the UK covers only 49 percent of its own needs, according to data from the Food Research Collaboration, an initiative of food research institutes. In contrast, 30 percent come from the European Union. Another eleven percent comes from states with which the EU has concluded free trade agreements that the British can no longer access in the no-deal case.

In other words, on average, around 10,000 containers of EU food arrive every day. In high season, in winter, there are 130 lorries full of citrus fruits every day.

Although lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries and raspberries grow in British fields, it is far from enough to meet demand in the country. Climate, soils and economic decisions of farmers play a role. Only ten percent of the eaten salad, 20 percent of the tomatoes and 30 percent of the berries are grown in the four regions of the country.

A country's diet is only guaranteed if it provides a food supply that is adequate, sustainable, safe, healthy and equitable, "said Erik Millstone, a professor at the University of Sussex and a food safety expert. "Brexit poses a threat to our food safety in all five areas."

Obviously, the connection is in the supply. As a result of a chaotic Brexit is at the borders with significantly tightened controls and accordingly expected congestion and delay. Perishable goods, possibly not only from the EU, rotted in the truck.

I trust the information more from professionals, than the nationalist hurray screaming who technically have no idea.

Archived