Britain will face some food shortages in a no-deal Brexit: trade body

snoop1130

29 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Right lets see what shortages we could have.mmmm

French wine. Way over rated and over priced. Better alternatives in South Africa, Chile and Australia.

Cheese better versions in the UK made locally.

Fruit and veg, sourced better and cheaper outside the EU.

Fish we will not need to buy our own fish back at inflated prices. Cheaper and more fish supply home grown (Europhiles hate that thought)

So whats all the posturing and fuss about. The EU is not the world. They are a closed protectionist racquet that the UK want out besides some spinless, undemocratic whingers.

Besides a few exotic goods the rest of the world produce better and cheaper. Belgian chocolate, who really cares.

As already mentioned before the problem (see OP) is about the delays caused by custom operations in UK. 

Currently there are already custom operations for imports from outside the EU. It will remain so and it will not be faster to process imports from outside the the EU than from the EU.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear this argument all the time. "The Leave option didn't specify the DETAILS of the leave". 

I'd like to flip the argument around and ask if the Remain option specified the details of the remain? No?
More importantly, when UK voted in 1975 to enter EC membership, did that referendum specify the details of the future membership? No?

I've said it many times before; debating remainers on the topic of Brexit is rather like playing chess with a pigeon — they will knock the pieces over, crap on the board, and fly back to their flock to claim victory.
Hard Brexiteer plays chess with pigeons. Carry on..

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Victornoir said:

It's normal that they did not vote for an ill-posed question and after a campaign full of unverifiable demagogic promises.
Today people know more.
In my opinion it is inevitable to go back to the polls for the ultimate decision.
And that's what will happen.

You keep telling yourself that, darling.

Watch this speech and engage a few neurons before you retort. 

We're leaving. Live with it.

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

555 what a crock of shit.

As if the nation can't feed itself. Too lol.

Scaremonger much?

Corporate agitprop, fake news.

slow down and at least Read the OP first paragraph. Shit is real

5 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

For unprocessed foods, such as fruits, vegetables or meat, the UK covers only 49 percent of its own needs, according to data from the Food Research Collaboration, an initiative of food research institutes. In contrast, 30 percent come from the European Union. Another eleven percent comes from states with which the EU has concluded free trade agreements that the British can no longer access in the no-deal case.

In other words, on average, around 10,000 containers of EU food arrive every day. In high season, in winter, there are 130 lorries full of citrus fruits every day.

Although lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries and raspberries grow in British fields, it is far from enough to meet demand in the country. Climate, soils and economic decisions of farmers play a role. Only ten percent of the eaten salad, 20 percent of the tomatoes and 30 percent of the berries are grown in the four regions of the country.

A country's diet is only guaranteed if it provides a food supply that is adequate, sustainable, safe, healthy and equitable, "said Erik Millstone, a professor at the University of Sussex and a food safety expert. "Brexit poses a threat to our food safety in all five areas."

Obviously, the connection is in the supply. As a result of a chaotic Brexit is at the borders with significantly tightened controls and accordingly expected congestion and delay. Perishable goods, possibly not only from the EU, rotted in the truck.

I trust the information more from professionals, than the nationalist hurray screaming who technically have no idea.

I'm sure once changes are in place and market incentive to produce locally returns these numbers will increase. Untill then there are literally 100 countries outside the EU that you could source from. I would imagine US, Oz, Nz would satisfy your every need.

Every first world nation should be food secure anyway so make it happen. This is an embarrassment if you cannot get food staples to feed the population. The answer is definitely Independence.

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

slow down and at least Read the OP first paragraph. Shit is real

Of course the food will be allowed in. This is only sensible. The argument is ridiculous. Tesco has its supply chains and contracts so it's whinging. Global Food Inc is getting it's shit stirred as well as the forced backing all that cheap non British labor.

The whole thing is a big yawn. It will be another Y2K. I'll bet on it. Three years after Brexit everything will be entirely sorted. Nothing but minor inconvenience.

The world is turning inward. Only fools can't see this. International 'free' trade just a huge lie that impoverished all westerners for fifty years.

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I'm sure once changes are in place and market incentive to produce locally returns these numbers will increase. Untill then there are literally 100 countries outside the EU that you could source from. I would imagine US, Oz, Nz would satisfy your every need.

Every first world nation should be food secure anyway so make it happen. This is an embarrassment if you cannot get food staples to feed the population. The answer is definitely Independence.

Aha. Do you know what perishable food is? Or do you want to fly in the goods by air from US, Oz, Nz? Does not cost anything, right? Logistically, the UK is at the butt of the world then.

Just now, tomacht8 said:

Aha. Do you know what perishable food is? Or do you want to fly in the goods by air from US, Oz, Nz? Does not cost anything, right? Logistically, the UK is at the butt of the world then.

You're joking right? How do you think you get fresh vegetables and many fruits in the dead of winter?

In US produce is routinely brought in from South America. Get a clue.

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

You're joking right? How do you think you get fresh vegetables and many fruits in the dead of winter?

In US produce is routinely brought in from South America. Get a clue.

Why you Not look where you get your food from. 

The UK gets tomatoes mainly from Spain. From the field to the distribution centers of the supermarkets, it takes 3 days by truck. Salads come to over 90% from Europe. In winter, from heated greenhouses of the Netherlands.

Bananas are no problem, they are harvested immature and fumigated on the ships so that they are ripe after 3 weeks.

The UK will not starve, but there are problems with the food supply. To deny that is simply stupid and can only be justified idiologically, but does not lead to the solution of the problems.

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Why you Not look where you get your food from. 

The UK gets tomatoes mainly from Spain. From the field to the distribution centers of the supermarkets, it takes 3 days by truck. Salads come to over 90% from Europe. In winter, from heated greenhouses of the Netherlands.

Bananas are no problem, they are harvested immature and fumigated on the ships so that they are ripe after 3 weeks.

The UK will not starve, but there are problems with the food supply. To deny that is simply stupid and can only be justified idiologically, but does not lead to the solution of the problems.

As you have stated

The UK will not starve.

In fact, it will be just fine. New supply chains will develop immediately.

Here's a bonus...you get your freedom back.

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

As you have stated

The UK will not starve.

Fine is relative.

There will definitely be a general deterioration in the food supply situation for the UK.

Likewise, the increased administration, bureaucracy and logistics costs will lead to price increases.

Rich people will eat as well as before, poorer people will inevitably have to change their diet.

But canned peaches are also very tasty.

39 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

As you have stated

The UK will not starve.

Could you expand on that bonus? What freedom that you do not have now will be returned to you? 

As you have stated

The UK will not starve.

Just how will that bonus be realised? Exactly what will I be able to do on 1st November that is currently denied to me?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, remobb said:

Good. Buy British, support our farmers and growers. You could also grow your own. Don't NEED foreign food, we just want it. So change your ways. We did ok before the EU.

And the Oz and NZ suppliers would be more than happy to help even though you cut us off many years ago.

Maybe this is too simplistic, but is it not up to the UK government whether or not to hold up imported food in the days and weeks after we leave? Why would the UK authorities want to slow things down from 1st Nov? 

I imagine they'd simply wave through food deliveries until more robust procedures were put into place. 

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, CNXexpat said:

They can be on a plane in bulk tomorrow from Australia and new Zealand or any other country in the Southern Hemisphere.

Go into a supermarket in Oz....we buy and eat produce from all over the world. Californian grapes are pretty cheap. I quite like the South African smoked cod. Not to mention all of the Asian seafood products...and yes they do meet the stringent import food safety standards for all the wannabee Asian knockers.

Get out of that Euro syndrome. There's a big world out there who actually do trade with each other. Mangoes, cherries, oranges all year round.....no problem.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

They can be on a plane in bulk tomorrow from Australia and new Zealand or any other country in the Southern Hemisphere.

Go into a supermarket in Oz....we buy and eat produce from all over the world. Californian grapes are pretty cheap. I quite like the South African smoked cod. Not to mention all of the Asian seafood products...and yes they do meet the stringent import food safety standards for all the wannabee Asian knockers.

Get out of that Euro syndrome. There's a big world out there who actually do trade with each other. Mangoes, cherries, oranges all year round.....no problem.

You don´t see the point. The UK has no trade contract with all these countries. So they take tariffs from them and have to pay tariffs to them belonging to the WTO rules. 

Lincolnshire Can  producing most veges, the only reason they declined in growing them was from instructions from the EU. They had to throw thousands of tons of vegetables away becasue they where misshaped. 
This article, from 2008, suggests that they have had 11 years to get back in the game:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2138828/EU-changes-rules-on-misshapen-vegetables.html

"Misshapen fruit and vegetables could soon be back on supermarket shelves after EU bureaucrats decided to scrap the rules which prevented curved cucumbers and skinny carrots being stocked ."

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Grapes by air freight.

From California to the UK.

You obviously do not know what costs 1 kg air freight. Probably still in wooden Cases. 555

What would then be the shelf price?

By the way: With a zero deal, the UK would also be out of the trade deal that was concluded between the US and the EU. Empty pockes for sure.

And you realize that around 10,000 containers of EU food arrive every day in the UK Ports.

Calculate that on planes please.

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Did you read the OP?

Please explain us why British custom operations will be faster for imports from outside the EU than from the EU. 

2 hours ago, damascase said:

Could you expand on that bonus? What freedom that you do not have now will be returned to you? 

I think he does not mean the  freedom to study, live and work freely in 27 other European countries. To be able to buy a house unhindered. To be able to open a business unhindered. To be able to spend his pension in the sunny south, to be able to travel unhindered in 27 countries. To be able to use Hospitals and doctors in 27 countries.

This is interesting for many young Britons, but he can not mean that freedom, these freedoms will disappear with an unregulated Brexit.

Archived