Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe so, but surely no one who knows about the immigration issues, TM28, TM30 etc and how we are treated like criminals would want to retire here.

Pay some agency to do that for you. Part of the cost of living in Thailand trouble free... in Thailand especially, having money can make most problems go away... 

21 hours ago, fafafa said:

I'm here 8 years, somehow found the love of my life, never looked for. I'm 31 years young, my wife is 34, well educated. 

I won't stay here another 5 years.

putting 11,600 EUR in a bankaccount just to extend my visa another year. it drives me nutz.
had a Co. LTD, Thailand still owns me 600,000 THB VAT refund. most likely i'll never get them.

corruption is a deal breaker.

i'm from germany, i believe in a free world, the government makes me sick. it affects everydays life (see the 600k refund. i can get around 30% of it, if the other 70% goes to the revenue department worker - under the table). you get scammed on every corner. i got scammed and police didn't care about it (we bought bunch of hardware and one guy didn't deliver the goods). the traffic. the <deleted> traffic. it drives me sick. on weekends i don't even wanna leave my house anymore and spend time in the car. zero joy. (i live in samut prakarn). 

the food - i never liked the cheap thai food, so eat western food most likely. can't wait to go somewhere else and get good quality food. the quality of restaurants is pathetic! i don't go there since a year. i just get food delivery of my favorite vegan restaurants every 2 days and live with that. 
i'm done with thailand. would have had left 2 years ago, but still have my wife - and 4 dogs. she also gets sick of doing the same stuff in her company for the last 11 years. it's time to prepare and find something somewhere else. maybe canada, maybe US, somewhere else. i dont' know. but everywhere is better than this shit hole.

i can't wait - in 6 months the immigration police is visiting me again, doing dumbfuck photos of me sitting on my bed and the sofa, interviewing my neighbors. <deleted> this shit. i'm really done. 

thailand once was great, the first 2-3 years was real fun. but i'm getting older, the fun gets less. just living here sucks for me. 

once thailand was so cheap - qualityt didn't matter. now it's getting expensive, so the value isn't good anymore. this will sum up the whole country.

Thailand is a great destination for retirement if you can afford it. It is not however a good place to elk out a living or do business in. This , I gather from 30 years of living monthly for 10/14 days each visit to Bangkok. I have many Thai friends in the same trade though my business is in Malaysia and overseas EXCEPT Thailand. I find many Thai businessmen lacked sincerity and always out to scam something free out of you. Of course there are also some who were beyond reproach. I attributed these characteristics to the lack of legal recourse, rampant corruption, power of $ to make problems go away , lack of civic education, paying lip service to Buddhism instead of spiritual cultivation( shallow understanding of Buddhism) , praying to money god. Being insular socially doesn’t help either. 

I live in Perth about 6 km from the city and my rent is
$240 per week including water

Thanks for sharing accommodation rental costs in Perth, Australia. Those costs are definitely reasonable.

What about FEMALE rentals for Perth pensioners. How does the affordability of female rentals in Perth compare to what’s available in Thailand?

6 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Thanks for sharing accommodation rental costs in Perth, Australia. Those costs are definitely reasonable.

What about FEMALE rentals for Perth pensioners. How does the affordability of female rentals in Perth compare to what’s available in Thailand?

One of the MAJOR attractions of Thailand is the friendly rental Thai lady towards foreigners. They don’t mind much about races or personal traits so long as they are well compensated. So those who retired to Thailand are never short of female company. Food for the body and soul well satisfied.  

20 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

One of the MAJOR attractions of Thailand is the friendly rental Thai lady towards foreigners. They don’t mind much about races or personal traits so long as they are well compensated. So those who retired to Thailand are never short of female company. Food for the body and soul well satisfied.  

Prostitutes are available anywhere in the world though , much more variety of females in western cities and the price is on par with Thailand .

You can get a prostitute anywhere in the world

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Immigration problems, that's why all my pals left.

And if it wasn't for my family, I would have gone too.

Would they have still gone if the pound was 70 to the baht?  If the cost of living wasn't increasing?  If it was possible to make 60k or so?

Yes, visa issues are a factor, but not the main reason behind the exodus.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I'll take your word for it, but it is not just Brexit or the exchange rate, no one in his right mind from any western country would retire to Thailand without doing due diligence unless it was something to do with family in the present climate with the immigration issues, ie treating us like criminals.

Just you (the criminal stuff) not treating me any different then 2005.  Of course I don' threaten people in bars.  

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Prostitutes are available anywhere in the world though , much more variety of females in western cities and the price is on par with Thailand .

You can get a prostitute anywhere in the world

Not at the grocery section at the supermarket.  Or at the Samsung store.  Or at MacDonald's.  A trip to the mall in Thailand is mega fun.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Of course. But some say it isn't happening. I find that BIZARRE. 

Or truthful and you are the bizarre one.  Not one thing has changed for many at Immigration.  If you put 800,000 in the bank and went to Maptaphut Immigration.  

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I don't think 'bread flour' predicts a particularly wonderful lifestyle, does it?  And of course I am now reliant on the Thai health service.  Whatever the merits of bread and jam or otherwise, it does not indicate affluence.

No booze, no fags, no holidays, and I have cancelled my gym membership.  We are eating much more fruit and veg than before, and looking to eliminate bad food like wheat.

But the point is this: the cost of living has definitely increased and it's ever harder to earn even half decent money.  In the end, you can only spend so little. 

Why else have so many left?

Brexit, Brexit, Brexit.  Put the blame where it belongs on the government and people of the UK.   

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Just you (the criminal stuff) not treating me any different then 2005.  Of course I don' threaten people in bars.  

I came to live in Thailand in 2005, at that time I would have recommended it to other would be retirees, but not now, for reasons that are well documented here on Thaivisa.

Back in the UK, when I was in a bar I never threatened anybody either, but if anyone who I didn't know did something to annoy me, I would just hit them. 

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

Thailand is a great destination for retirement if you can afford it. It is not however a good place to elk out a living or do business in. This , I gather from 30 years of living monthly for 10/14 days each visit to Bangkok. I have many Thai friends in the same trade though my business is in Malaysia and overseas EXCEPT Thailand. I find many Thai businessmen lacked sincerity and always out to scam something free out of you. Of course there are also some who were beyond reproach. I attributed these characteristics to the lack of legal recourse, rampant corruption, power of $ to make problems go away , lack of civic education, paying lip service to Buddhism instead of spiritual cultivation( shallow understanding of Buddhism) , praying to money god. Being insular socially doesn’t help either. 

Never tried the forest monks.  Shame on you.  Any Thai sincere Buddhist could have told you.

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I came to live in Thailand in 2005, at that time I would have recommended it to other would be retirees, but not now, for reasons that are well documented here on Thaivisa.

Back in the UK, when I was in a bar I never threatened anybody either, but if anyone who I didn't know did something to annoy me, I would just hit them. 

Nice guy.  If you hit someone without or with cause in most bars in the West they put you in jail.  I was here in 2005 to and I had a Muay Thai body guard.  She put a number of fellows away.  Only costs 500 baht to get her out of jail.

thai.jpg

44 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Would they have still gone if the pound was 70 to the baht?  If the cost of living wasn't increasing?  If it was possible to make 60k or so?

Nobody I knew left because of the cost of living, they left because of immigration problems.

65k every month one was SMT/800k in bank 1 day too short/90 day reports/TM30s+fines/immigration officers wanting different documents every visit/queuing all night for appointments/calls round to your house, etc.

All you need in Cambodia is $300 in your hand, and call into an agents office for 5 minutes.

9 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

But that does not find anyone, just a smoke and mirrors story that can not be substantiated.   Hans Cristian Andersons books were more believable.

Google tells you where to locate the Wats.  You go.  Stay for a week or so and see if it is your thing.  

I realize you dislike everything Thai but why bash when you have no experience?

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody I knew left because of the cost of living, they left because of immigration problems.

65k every month one was SMT/800k in bank 1 day too short/90 day reports/TM30s+fines/immigration officers wanting different documents every visit/queuing all night for appointments/calls round to your house, etc.

All you need in Cambodia is $300 in your hand, and call into an agents office for 5 minutes.

They left because of the crash of the pound and they could noet put 800,000 in the bank and leave it there.

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nice guy.  If you hit someone without or with cause in most bars in the West they put you in jail.  I was here in 2005 to and I had a Muay Thai body guard.  She put a number of fellows away.  Only costs 500 baht to get her out of jail.

thai.jpg

For a start I would never lift my hand to a woman, besides if a stranger deliberately provokes you in a bar, he deserves a sore face, and to go to jail you have to be caught first. I was always away before the police came.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Google tells you where to locate the Wats.  You go.  Stay for a week or so and see if it is your thing.  

I realize you dislike everything Thai but why bash when you have no experience?

I don't dislike everything Thai and if you had read enough of my posts you would have know that. What  I dislike is the hypocritical nature of many Thais and others and the greed and corruption that is demonstrated within Thai Buddhism. Go to Bhutan and spend 3 months in a temple there, you may perhaps just grasp what it is all about and the true path rather then what is the embodiment of Thai Buddhism.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

For a start I would never lift my hand to a woman, besides if a stranger deliberately provokes you in a bar, he deserves a sore face, and to go to jail you have to be caught first. I was always away before the police came.

Not necessary to lift hand.  She pound face for fun if you say bad word to me.  After she through with you can not run.  Is wearing clothes you don't like provoke?

6 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I don't dislike everything Thai and if you had read enough of my posts you would have know that. What  I dislike is the hypocritical nature of many Thais and others and the greed and corruption that is demonstrated within Thai Buddhism. Go to Bhutan and spend 3 months in a temple there, you may perhaps just grasp what it is all about and the true path rather then what is the embodiment of Thai Buddhism.

Why.  I go to a Forest Wat in Rayong and have for many years.  All countries have good and bad things.  Appears you like the bad and I like the good.  Why would I go to Buhtan?  I have found Buddhist I like in Thailand and if you were not trying to bash Thailand or learn about Buddhism you would search for the truth.  This thread is about expats leaving Thailand are you really saying because Wat's are better in Bhutan?  

Yes of course prices are on a par [emoji106]  All Expats only go to Thailand because of the warm weather. [emoji41]

Archived