Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

On 8/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, villagefarang said:

Thailand has always been a transient place for foreigners, a mere pitstop in life.  People like me are as rare as dinosaurs and almost everyone I knew in the early years are long gone.  Over the decades the kind of people coming to Thailand have changed and so have their reasons for leaving.  But for all the complaining there are always more people arriving, everyday.  I see no reason to get all upset over people leaving.

Of all the people I knew when I first came to Thailand 37 years ago (and there were quite a few), I only know of one who is still here. A few have died but most drifted back to their home countries.  As a result I now have very few friends here,  and don't really want to invest too much time in making new friends, only to say goodbye a year down the road.  Friendship with fellow foreigners is so transient in Thailand.    

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why.  I go to a Forest Wat in Rayong and have for many years.  All countries have good and bad things.  Appears you like the bad and I like the good.  Why would I go to Buhtan?  I have found Buddhist I like in Thailand and if you were not trying to bash Thailand or learn about Buddhism you would search for the truth.  This thread is about expats leaving Thailand are you really saying because Wat's are better in Bhutan?  

What I am saying is that although there may be many reasons for an expat to leave Thailand one of those reasons is a corrupted society of which Thai Buddhism is a prime example. My friends who have been and spent some time in Bhutan often remark that you will never see a monk there handle money, out shopping and certainly never reports about enriching themselves as can be learnt about Thai monks on an almost daily basis.  Like much of Thai society Thai Buddhism appears to have lost its way, a point perhaps recognized by many who have chosen to leave that behind.

On 8/8/2019 at 5:47 AM, gearbox said:

To counter your departure, I moved in late last year. So far so good.

Enjoy it while you can,see if you still feel the same in 5 years!

14 years was more than enough for me,too much BS,and only holidays there for me now,moved 2 years ago,never looked back!! should have done it 5 years before that!

On 8/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, worgeordie said:

Where are these greener pastures.......and remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

regards Worgeordie

Greener they may be, but that's because the fertilizer costs a lot more.

Things are getting desperate Im down to eating mama moo sap everyday so that I can go have a couple of beers 50 Baht everyday I was in a bar the other night and the girl said I go with you, I've got no money she said how much you got I said 200 Baht ok she said we go, no thank you Im not about to get a dose of clap that would cost me more money down the hospital with injections and antibiotics then I wouldn't be able to buy some beers

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Things are getting desperate Im down to eating mama moo sap everyday so that I can go have a couple of beers 50 Baht everyday I was in a bar the other night and the girl said I go with you, I've got no money she said how much you got I said 200 Baht ok she said we go, no thank you Im not about to get a dose of clap that would cost me more money down the hospital with injections and antibiotics then I wouldn't be able to buy some beers

A heart warming tale to reinvigorate the spirits.

43 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Ever consider safe sex?

44 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Livin' the Dream......

Reasons.

1. Obviously biggest reason is the exchange rate. For a Brit, exchange rate has fallen by 45% since 2007. And back then no ATM fees and some UK debit cards charged no fees either. People i know from 2008 used to eat out every day and go bar hopping most evenings. Now that is once a week, if their lucky.

2. Immigration/visa rules. Have been changes nearly every year since 2012, each time affecting another small sector of the expat population. Recently, as many are already on a tight budget (see reason number 1) became the straw that broke the camels back.

3. Prices - very minor. Overall, not really worse than inflation back home But some rankle. When the exchange rate has fallen by 45%, some imported items have GONE UP in Thailand. Obvious price gouging. The wine tax a few years ago doubled the price - now higher than any western country. Land and house prices have shot up - even though you cannot sell at those prices!

4, Cultural changes. 11 or 12 years ago Thais would bend over to help you, now we are just part of the furniture. Some Bar girls were genuinely friendly, now replaced by a few cold-hearted girls and by ladyboys. When combined with the immigration changes (reason number 2) you do feel that we are not really so welcome any more.

Less foreigners are coming to stay, it is less affordable and less attractive. We are leaving or dying faster. Saw some data that said number of UK nationals had fallen from 85,000 to 71,000, and that was before this years issues. I'm sure that for many life here has become more precarious, and many are considering whether to leave. Most will only go once they have no other options, though.

a decent bar is an endangered species around here.  They are more than willing to crank up the prices, and act like they dont notice the thinning crowds, yet you cannot count on them to deliver a product that beats my own refrigerator.  Pub life was a big part of the expat experience for me, not anymore, but I still like to chat with people and drink.  I am an easy bus ride to KSR...sheeze, the hookers dont even bother going there, anymore.  

On 8/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, HampiK said:

PR or Citizenship for married man with children is not possible if the man is not working in Thai and pay tax on income! 

So as the @kellersphuket wrote, this is almost impossible. because it's always connected with working in Thai. OK there seems to be another way with Put 10 million in Thai bonds, but not sure this is true, and how difficult this way would be as I never read about anyone who was going that way!

Your right, you do need to work and pay taxes in Thailand to qualify.  If I was in that position and not working, I would find a friend that owns a company and could support a work permit and work something out with them.  Never herd of the 10 million possibility. 

Although I still own a condo with my wife in Bangkok and intend to return to visit for a month every year there were numerous reasons that motivated us to reach the decision to relocate to the UK.

1. Education for my daughter. I felt the Thai system just wasn't going to cut it for her going to university and wanted to broaden her mind with experiencing the UK. She will be free to return to Thailand once she finishes university if she so desires (which myself and my wife may also end up doing)

2. Visas/Passports. Although my mrs is thai and I held a spouse visa previously, it actually worked out easier to simply not hold a spouse visa due to flying in and out of thailand every 28 days. But that brings it's own set of complications when you change jobs or are ill. My mrs, after 5 years will obtain a UK passport and we are free to roam the world together without hindrance. 

3. I wanted to buy a UK property so that we have the option of spending Winter/Spring in thailand and Summer/Autumn in the UK further down the line if we so choose. The alternative is to rent the UK property and use that to live off in Thailand. Thus, providing us with solid options for the future. 

4. The good old 5 year itch. I find 5 years is enough in any one location and need to change things up a little and experience something new. Although to be fair this could easily have been within Thailand itself.

5. Rainy season sucks. The first couple of years I found it quite good fun. Then I slowly realised that almost all the things I enjoyed doing in Thailand were based outside and when rainy season came it was no different to winter back home, simply inverted weather. You are forced to stay inside a lot with the air con on because it's too humid. 

I have a colleague who also chose to relocate from Indonesia back home with wife and kids for much the same reasons, so it isn't just Thailand.

I came to the conclusion that as a (young/old) single man with a bit of disposable cash, Thailand or more specifically, Bangkok is great. However, when you throw a wife and growing kids into the mix the dynamic changes somewhat and you have many other considerations to think about. 

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thairung is nothing more than a bastardized Isuzu. It's defo a local design though as can be told from its innate albiet fucntional fugliness.

Thai Rung is a Thai vehicle manufacturer, regardless of whether any Thaivisa posters like, or subjectively approve, of their products.  My initial response to this thread was to that well-known 'automotive expert' who claimed that Thailand does not have any actual car manufacturers when it clearly does.

19 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Is this high profile enough for someone that might be forced to leave? ???? It's def. happening, everything who says otherwise has brainfarts

If Richard Barrow's visa extension is not approved I'd expect to see most Thailand bloggers cease activities quickly. He's about as innocuous as one can be and if the authorities found him or his work to be offensive, God help all foreigners in Thailand.

If Richard Barrow's visa extension is not approved I'd expect to see most Thailand bloggers cease activities quickly. He's about as innocuous as one can be and if the authorities found him or his work to be offensive, God help all foreigners in Thailand.
Well yes, he's more or an thai advertisement than the whole amazing thailand campaign ever was. All he does is show nice places and food, can't get more harmless than that.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

What I am saying is that although there may be many reasons for an expat to leave Thailand one of those reasons is a corrupted society of which Thai Buddhism is a prime example. My friends who have been and spent some time in Bhutan often remark that you will never see a monk there handle money, out shopping and certainly never reports about enriching themselves as can be learnt about Thai monks on an almost daily basis.  Like much of Thai society Thai Buddhism appears to have lost its way, a point perhaps recognized by many who have chosen to leave that behind.

So you are saying expats leave Thailand because the monks are better in Bhutan.  And you are an expert on Thai monks.  I told you to visit a forest monk but apparently you know more about it.  Good luck - you don't have a clue.

19 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

But that does not find anyone, just a smoke and mirrors story that can not be substantiated.   Hans Cristian Andersons books were more believable.

Google forest monk rayong.  Go there everything I've said can be substantiated.  I know you are on a hate Thai trip but you are getting silly.

18 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

Enjoy it while you can,see if you still feel the same in 5 years!

14 years was more than enough for me,too much BS,and only holidays there for me now,moved 2 years ago,never looked back!! should have done it 5 years before that!

Hi

May I ask where you moved to pls.?

If you care to share any comparisons that could be interesting.

Thanks

On 8/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, marcusarelus said:

Not necessary to lift hand.  She pound face for fun if you say bad word to me.  After she through with you can not run.  Is wearing clothes you don't like provoke?

Why do you write, "you confused"  Didn't you write a post a couple of says ago if you found an expat in a bar that you didn't like his clothes that you would beat him up? Or maybe I got the wrong guy but I thought it was you.  If I got it wrong let me know and I'll be happy to apologize.????

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, possum1931 said:

I'll take your word for it, but it is not just Brexit or the exchange rate, no one in his right mind from any western country would retire to Thailand without doing due diligence unless it was something to do with family in the present climate with the immigration issues, ie treating us like criminals.

Racial profiling perhaps...the Scots have always been seen as dodgy 555555.

Sorry mate, saw an open goal and had to go for it.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, sanemax said:

There are numerous things alot cheaper in the UK , deodorant , 79 p in the UK , 150 Baht in Thailand7

79 p because nobody knows what it is. 150 baht in Thai when they come here and realise what is used for.

Then refuse to buy it, so the price goes up. Supply and lack of demand.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, BritManToo said:

Immigration problems, that's why all my pals left.

And if it wasn't for my family, I would have gone too.

Define immigration problems.

Did they have trouble filling in the paperwork?

I'm sure there are many bilingual English/Thai people who could have assisted.

Archived