Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

51 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

We have had enough! Being treated like second class citizens by the locals has finally worn thin.

We are not wanted here. It's plainly obvious for all to see.

They don't like us anymore, possibly never have.

But never mind, I will take my money elsewhere and spend it where the people are grateful.

While this feeling of persecution has you all riled up, may I suggest you first go back to the country where you come from and put the negative energy to better use?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Its not the price rises which hurt, its the crashing currencies that just exacerbate it !

You are exactly correct.I live on my pension in Canadian $ . It used to cost around $ 700 to withdraw 20,000 baht from my CDN bank...the other day it was $ 890.00.<deleted>

it is imported goods that have gone up because of price rises in their home countries(apart from wine), thai goods havent moved much at all, I can buy a 1 ltr bottle of gin or vodka for 500 baht, in Australia it would be closer to 1000 baht, as someone else mention in Australia smokes are around 1000 baht a pack.  I find Thailand is still a lot cheaper than Australia for food and accommodation as well as many other things, personally I have seen no good reasons to even think about leaving here, sounds more like looking for excuses rather than actually having them, admittedly the visa issue has stuffed things a bit but only for those that were making false stat decs about their earnings. The baht is high but will drop again same as the dollar/pound will rise, I know for fact I cant go to any good restaurant in Australia and have a really great meal with drinks for two people  for under 1000 baht or an average restaurant for between 200 to 500 baht. Maybe it is effecting the ones that prefer to hang in bars/clubs but definitely has no effect on me

12 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And where in the world has that not been a natural effect due to raise in saluries, more expensive maintenance and so on. Raised property taxes, more expensive renovations and repairs. Yeah, can go on forever. Off course that happens in Thailand too. 

I have been having same office rent for the last 8 years, though.

Yes, higher taxes and maintenance costs are the primary reasons why Thai landlords rack up the rents on the local eatery that's doing well.

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No, it really did exist when I first started living here in the eighties. It wasn't illusory, or, over-hyped.

Of course, now GFE could stand for what you wrote.

I know where you're coming from Joe. Now we search for the even more illusory and rarer Real GFE.

Real Good at Faking Everything.

In my experience, the cost is about the same... just harder to find.

5 minutes ago, seajae said:

it is imported goods that have gone up because of price rises in their home countries(apart from wine), thai goods havent moved much at all, I can buy a 1 ltr bottle of gin or vodka for 500 baht, in Australia it would be closer to 1000 baht, as someone else mention in Australia smokes are around 1000 baht a pack.  I find Thailand is still a lot cheaper than Australia for food and accommodation as well as many other things, personally I have seen no good reasons to even think about leaving here, sounds more like looking for excuses rather than actually having them, admittedly the visa issue has stuffed things a bit but only for those that were making false stat decs about their earnings. The baht is high but will drop again same as the dollar/pound will rise, I know for fact I cant go to any good restaurant in Australia and have a really great meal with drinks for two people  for under 1000 baht or an average restaurant for between 200 to 500 baht. Maybe it is effecting the ones that prefer to hang in bars/clubs but definitely has no effect on me

Australia can be unreal. Like the hotel that charged me $24/day for 'hotel parking'. Parking may be hard to find in many places in LOS where farangs want to park their Fortuners and Pajeros but at least they don't charge the equivalent of a blowjob.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

In Australia they are 1,000 baht a pack.

Was talking to a smoker from Perth last night, he said a pack of 25 Winfield reds cost $27AUS which equates to 567 baht roughly using 21 baht as the exchange rate.

What smokes cost 1,000 baht in Australia out of interest, not that I smoke, I gave up in 2000 and the Winnies were $10 a pack back then.

42 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Also the death of the GFE, which used to be very common but, is now all but extinct.

What, I can't get a fake Girlfriend anymore!  That seals it, I'm the F' outta here.  Maybe I need to go to inland Africa or headwaters of the Amazon for that.  Wish me luck.  ????

1 minute ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

What, I can't get a fake Girlfriend anymore!  That seals it, I'm the F' outta here.  Maybe I need to go to inland Africa or headwaters of the Amazon for that.  Wish me luck.  ????

Try the Philippines, but, just remember the food is pig-swill and there's no divorce.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

All the Thai restaurants around me have been selling food at much the same price for the last 10 years.

If they put the prices up, the Thai wouldn't be able to afford to eat in them.

Do you mean foreign owned restaurants, or restaurants catering to foreigners by any chance?

Alcohol and tobacco have on up due to tax rises, I don't think that counts as inflation.

Imported items should have gone down in price, by 30%.

Just because prices stay the same in restaurants or food stands doesn't mean the ingredients don't go up. Me personally I don't remember what prices were 5-10 yrs ago on misc items. We buy what we want and need. 

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Was talking to a smoker from Perth last night, he said a pack of 25 Winfield reds cost $27AUS which equates to 567 baht roughly using 21 baht as the exchange rate.

What smokes cost 1,000 baht in Australia out of interest, not that I smoke, I gave up in 2000 and the Winnies were $10 a pack back then.

Sorry, still stuck using 25 baht to dollar exchange rate, so $40 a pack. I was back in oz over xmas and regularly paid $40 a pack B&H from a servo, 7/11 etc. Not sure where your mate is buying at $27 a pack, maybe WA has less tax.

1 hour ago, amykat said:

You guys are forgetting to note that the serving SIZEs were going down over the years to keep the price the same, or keep price increase lower.  Trick you ...oh now you need three noodle soup.  

How much is mango and and sticky rice to go?  Used to be 35 baht.  Now I see people trying to sell just bags of sticky rice for that much or more, can’t even get one mango for that price, etc.  Fruit is outrageous ...I can’t figure out what happened.

Man I love that, 50 bht here.

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, higher taxes and maintenance costs are the primary reasons why Thai landlords rack up the rents on the local eatery that's doing well.

No, it isn´t, and i can feel your sarcasm. If you have a business or start a business you have to protect yourself in case it would turn out successful. All landlords and other that might rack upp the price will do it to get your profit.

That has nothing to do with regular price hikes. Here you are talking the stupidity to not make up a contract that protects you and your business against that kind of behaviour.

Fruit prices vary depending on the harvest.

Just four weeks ago it was four lemons for 20 Bt, now it's 8 lemons for the same price.

Mangosteens are cheaper than last year due to a plentiful harvest causing a glut.

Rambutan is till the same price as several years ago, whilst some mango varieties, the price has nearly doubled per kilo.

37 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

You are exactly correct.I live on my pension in Canadian $ . It used to cost around $ 700 to withdraw 20,000 baht from my CDN bank...the other day it was $ 890.00.<deleted>

Thats some hella expensive transaction fees.

Immigration has become difficult and unreasonable, cost of living has increased dramatically, both expats and locals have become disenfranchised with each other, depending on where you are from, life is better there or in other countries for all the reasons above and more stated by other TVF contributions.  Thailand is just NOT the Elysium it was once imagined when the "rose colored" glasses were shattered.  Expats "see" the reality they cannot deny.  It's time to go...Remember: price is what you pay, value is what you get! Not worth the investment of time and money....

I suppose many negative things can come to a persons mind:

1) Break up with partner, be it a wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/Katoye, did I miss anything ?

2) Running out of money

3) Realised it was better back in the old country

4) Smoke burning up country

5) Pollution

6) Currency dropping

7) Tightening on immigration policies

???? Democratically elected half military/half democratic government

9) Noisy neighbours, i.e. loud music, barking dogs

10) Demanding In-laws and relatives

11) Poor education for kids

12) Corruption at all levels, starting with police/immigration which would be at the forefront

13) Health system in some areas

14) High cost of Private insurance, i.e. if you can get it after a certain age, e.g. 60

15) Hygiene 

16) Cost of living increasing

17) Friends passing as expats age

18) Thai attitudes

19) Lack of law enforcement, court system, money talks etc etc

20) Being taken advantage of on a constant basis, or trying to be taken advantage of on a constant basis

21) The heat

22) The rain

The above are just a few that come to mind as to why expats maybe leaving, but then you have to look at the positive side of things that come to mind:

1) Content with wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/Katoye

2) Have enough money 

3) Don't really miss the old country

4) Don't live up country for the smoke to bother one

5) Far away enough that pollution isn't a bother

6) Currency dropping isn't an issue

7) Tightening of immigration policies isn't a bother

8). Government isn't a bother (head in sand)

9) Neighbours aren't noisy and dogs are quiet

10) In-laws and relatives don't are at arms length and not a bother

11) The education system doesn't apply or don't have kids, or are ok with it, (head in sand)

12) Corruption isn't really a problem, spare change (head in sand)

13) Health system is ok in some areas

14) Cost of private health insurance is ok when working it out on the cost per day basis vs annually, if you qualify to get insured, i.e. based on age and pre-existing condition/s

15) Hygiene not really a problem as you watch where you eat etc etc

16) Cost of living not a problem, i.e. factored in

17) Friends passing not a problem, that's life

18) Thai attitudes not a problem (head in sand)

19) Lack of law enforcement, court system, money talks etc etc, not an issue thus far (head in sand)

20) Been taken advantage of, have to keep wits about you

21) The heat is trying at times, good insulation/sisalation/vents/AC's/fans/trees etc etc

22) Love the rain

I suppose when you do your list and weigh the pros and cons up, then you will either stay or go, the only thing that really urks me is (4 when they are burning the rice fields/sugar cane, but that's a couple of months a year, so relocate for those couple months (holidays) and we are pretty much 90% good

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Sorry, still stuck using 25 baht to dollar exchange rate, so $40 a pack. I was back in oz over xmas and regularly paid $40 a pack B&H from a servo, 7/11 etc. Not sure where your mate is buying at $27 a pack, maybe WA has less tax.

No probs, WOW $40, not sure when my mate was last home, probably a couple of years, and yes maybe they have different taxes ?

Sure glad I quit when they were $10, can you imagine 7 packs of B&H, that's like $280 a week, cricky !

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Tiger drought between 50 and 60 Baht a glass been the same for a few years around here

Isn't English a crazy language, put an O instead of an A, and there is no Tiger!

32 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, it isn´t, and i can feel your sarcasm. If you have a business or start a business you have to protect yourself in case it would turn out successful. All landlords and other that might rack upp the price will do it to get your profit.

That has nothing to do with regular price hikes. Here you are talking the stupidity to not make up a contract that protects you and your business against that kind of behaviour.

It's not sarcasm, it's fact.

You cite your longish term fixed rent stability for office space as some kind of universal. Most hole-in-the-wall restaurants rent commercial shophouse space, not air-conditioned office space. Yes, one should have a business plan in place and a contract that precludes any gouging by opportunist landlords but I am talking about the majority of low-end convenience eating here, not 5-star and definitely not a commercial business office.

8 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Lot of people citing that the "Thais don't want us here anymore".

Have heard this from expats here in Phuket.

They all have one thing in common; none of them can speak Thai.

Seems that speakers and non-speakers have two completely different experiences.

I speak thai and I regularly hear thai people being degrading towards foreigners.

whats your point?

33 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Fruit prices vary depending on the harvest.

Just four weeks ago it was four lemons for 20 Bt, now it's 8 lemons for the same price.

Mangosteens are cheaper than last year due to a plentiful harvest causing a glut.

Rambutan is till the same price as several years ago, whilst some mango varieties, the price has nearly doubled per kilo.

They sure do.

I went to my local market yesterday and bought the following and it came to 120 baht.

1 big bunch of dill

1 big bunch of mint,

1 big combo bunch of spring onion and cilantr

A tom yum bunch

1 big bunch of basil

A large chunk of pumpkin

4 medium potatos

4 limes

one big head of broccoli

one big bunch of kale

one head of cos lettuce

That is very fair value in my eyes.

3 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Just the other day I went to top off my Rabbit card at a BTS station and they asked for my passport.

Well, isn't that just a killer?  That's enough to drive anyone out of the country even though the one-time process was announced and explained many months ago!

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

"Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?"

So many?  How many are leaving according to your research, or are you just making that up?  Perhaps you're just referring to the couple that have threatened to do that on this forum?

I suggested as much on another forum. Those that can't afford to live with or otherwise reconcile their own life choices are the ones making most noise whereas those who are more ardent in their desire to leave have already done so. Quietly.

Archived