Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

14 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Grand.  Keep clinging to your memories, and the forum as well. ????

Thailand is just one of many countries I lived in over the decades. It wasn't close to my favorite.  However it was the place that made me realize I should go to where I have civil rights and equal protections. I had never thought of things like that before I came to Thailand in such an informed manner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, FruitPudding said:

I think it is more about the strong baht that is hurting peoples' pockets than the cost of things here, except if we are talking about the cost of a good night out around Nana compared to a decade ago, of course.

Its not the Baht at fault, its western currency that's lost its value.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 3:07 AM, sotonowl said:

Maybe the ones on here who are in denial and starting to turn a little nasty are starting to feel a little vulnerable. The problem with going up one way streets is there's no turning back. Bloke on here the other day was looking for work back in Europe. Poor <deleted> is 62 years old and running out of money fast.

please post a link so i can perv on this

On 8/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, Cryingdick said:

Back home in the USA. I looked at other locations in SE Asia, Latin America, etc. But came to the conclusion they all looked as bad or worse than Thailand and why do that to myself again hoping for a different result?

Do you mind starting a new thread and tell us why the other countries look as bad or worse than Thailand?

Starting with the other SEA countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:56 AM, Percy P said:

Its not the Baht at fault, its western currency that's lost its value.

Not true. Baht has gained strength over all Asian currencies like Chinese Yuan, Ringgit, Singapore dollar, Vietnamese, Philippines, Laos, Korean except for Japanese Yen

Compare the chart for 1 year ago and the trend.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=CNY&to=THB&view=1Y

On 8/8/2019 at 1:06 PM, totally thaied up said:

This is a pretty accurate statement.

If I want to live like another poster said, like a local and adapt to how things are, eating street meals from the vendors or from the local markets like many Thai families do is the way you got to go and live. You really do need now to cook to save money. My life has become 30% more expensive in four years. It is most likely going to get another 20% more expensive with the rate of the dollar over the coming years. It is starting to get to be not worth it.

Yes, this is summing things up - like my wife said to me five minutes ago, we need to have that Plan B in place because Thailand is pricing itself out slowly on our dollar and on inflation. Even if the baht went to say 33 to the USD, it will mean jack <deleted> to us Australians. When I was home in Australia recently, an AUD gave you an AUD to spend and food prices in the shopping markets (for proper farang ingredients) was at a fair price. It was the same price to go and buy the basic foods as eating here and cooking here. As long as you own your own property, IMO, your better off at home.

My insurance premiums I pay here are the same as my rates in Australia. My aircon bill here is the same as my power bill at home. Not a big difference. I have no need to move to Vietnam to save costs as we own our own house here and we have access to property back in Australia. I don't need to move anywhere else but home if it turns to <deleted>. I had planned out most my life here in Thailand but the big old world is in a bit of a mess at the moment and personally, I think a bigger mess is coming. We are seeing a rash of currency movements, highs on stock markets and a lot of things just don't match.

Could be in for a bit of a hard time soon. I just do not see things getting better for us Aussies for some time.

'proper farang ingredients'..555

Archived