Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Well if they impose the mandatory insurance there will be a lot more leaving. And that is essentially adding to the over all costs and throwing money away. But I will still stay. got my family and home here.

Glowing example of the "If they do this then they'll do that" sort of noise.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?"

You've missed the dozens of threads about this topic for the last 6 months?

You must mean the "dozens of threads" where, apart from literally one or two posters, no one empirically states that they are actually leaving, yes?

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Well, isn't that just a killer?  That's enough to drive anyone out of the country even though the one-time process was announced and explained many months ago!

It does seem a little extreme. I showed the BTS team a photo of my passport and visa on my phone. They were good as gold. Keyed a few things into their system and I was on my way in about 3 minutes. That included time for top up. I would have gotten more frustrated waiting 5 minutes for a taxi to take me to the airport.

One thing that does get to me here is the noise - specifically road noise. I got a call from a client yesterday as I was outside Central Pinklao. I could hear them clearly. They asked me if I was at a track day for car or bike racing. I told him I'd call him back and got thinking about it. The noise at the time, when I stopped to consider it was pretty horrific. Bangkok city is a noisy place. Upcountry is pretty bloody noisy, too when all is considered.

So my "BTS registration moment" would have to be noise. I believe if I was going to just snap and decide to leave here, it would be because of noise.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I notice prices going up every day (Thai wife does and points it out). My usual grab bag of 6-8 things at 7/11, milk, juice, sugar etc. used to cost under 500 baht, now its over 600 baht. The usual trolley of groceries from bigC used to cost 2,000 baht, its now 2,500. just yesterday the usual pack of bacon went from 300 to 320 baht, a knob of butter was 90 baht and its now 110 baht.

Yes you can find some things that haven't gone up (yet) but a large percentage of normal everyday things has gone up by 10-20%.in the last year.

As for people leaving, I dont know any, have been chatting to a couple of new arrivals at the condo pool.

I've been buying bacon for the same price for the last 5 years. 260B/Kg. Having said that, I often make my own.

28 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Lot of people citing that the "Thais don't want us here anymore".

Have heard this from expats here in Phuket.

They all have one thing in common; none of them can speak Thai.

Seems that speakers and non-speakers have two completely different experiences.

The other thing that they have in common on that subject is that they talk unsubstantiated b*llocks.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

When they start eating Farang food you can see the kids early morning at 7/11 eating junk they are becoming obese 

Yep - my daughter ordered MacDonalds AND had it delivered by Food Panda !! She snuck it past me !

Having said that 7-11 makes MacDonalds look like an organic health shop !

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Australia can be unreal. Like the hotel that charged me $24/day for 'hotel parking'. Parking may be hard to find in many places in LOS where farangs want to park their Fortuners and Pajeros but at least they don't charge the equivalent of a blowjob.

There was a time when it never bothered me but eventually I tired of expats in Bangkok equating so much to the hooker industry. Nana this, Cowboy that....who cares about that crap and why is it so important to some expats? I sure as hell don't know anything about hooker bars at home and they never come up in conversation so why do I want to hear about them in Thailand? Too many throwbacks from the sex tourist days still around for my liking. Add that to the list of things that drive me away.

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I've been buying bacon for the same price for the last 5 years. 260B/Kg. Having said that, I often make my own.

Milk hasn't gone up either, it's price controlled by the government, (91.75bht for years).

The problem many people seem to have is laziness and an inability to move with the times.

You just need to shop with a bit of thought about where and what you are buying.

Then there's practically no difference between cost of living today, and ten years back.

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I suggested as much on another forum. Those that can't afford to live with or otherwise reconcile their own life choices are the ones making most noise whereas those who are more ardent in their desire to leave have already done so. Quietly.

"...whereas those who are more ardent in their desire to leave have already done so".

And how many of those are there? By definition, we'll never know, but as posters here go on what is reported here it's safe to assume hardly any.

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Also the death of the GFE, which used to be very common but, is now all but extinct.

So true - in my fledgling days it was just that, really looked forward to holidaying here and a week or so of round the clock pampering with extras - then almost overnight it transformed into one shot, get out !! Had to constantly think of speeches by Ted Heath to delay the experience to get my moneys worth !

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Australia can be unreal. Like the hotel that charged me $24/day for 'hotel parking'. Parking may be hard to find in many places in LOS where farangs want to park their Fortuners and Pajeros but at least they don't charge the equivalent of a blowjob.

Many hotels will also charge you for wifi, up to $30.

I've done, or have checked what would cost to do a bicycle service, in Lombok, Indonesia around $7AUD,  Samui $25, Sydney starting from $120. 

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've not noticed much in the way of inflation.

What items do you think have gone up?

The room I rented 10 years back at 5k/month is still the same price.

Petrol is now 26bht, it was 32bht.

A kilo of bread flour is 32bht, same as it was back then.

Have you checked the price of poon-tang lately?   ????

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong. Many on the forum have stated they already left mainly over visa issues.

Many? Really? Go on, then, which ones, let's hear some of the "many" you're quoting, specifically, that make me wrong in your opinion. 

I reckon you won't be able to name, say, just three who you have evidence of that actually left, never mind many.

I'm American. Frankly, I love it here. I've been here a very long time. I've also lived in many other countries so have the ability to compare with places other than just the US. Yes, things have gotten a bit more expensive over the years, but where haven't they? For the most part Thai's are a great people, friendly and accomodating. There are hard to get along with people everywhere and one need not dwell only on them. Maybe part of the difference for me is that I decided to make this my home away from home. The US will always be my home, but I live here, by choice. I could never live as I do here in the US, as I simply couldn't afford to do so.

As I read many of the posts here on TV, I wonder why, if this is such a bad place to be, why do these folks that are so unhappy remain here? I get quite tired of most of the Thai bashing that goes on here, most of which doesn't need to be dwelled upon. As we say, TIT, get used to it or leave. Nobodies forcing you to stay. The culture is what it is. Bashing it isn't going to change it. The only Expats I've known over the years that have left have had to do so because of job requirements. I've only met one guy that told me he'd never come back, and that has more to do with his personal religious convictions than anything else.

As far as visa issues go, again, it is what it is. Nothing terribly insurmounting about any of it. I wish the US was a bit more involved in their unregistered alien problems and issues, and believe it has gotten very much out of control. At least Thailand's trying to get a handle on it. In the 20 plus years I've been here, I've never been unduly hassled by authorities. Haven't been asked to show my "papers" once, outside of a government office. Can't say that about other countries I've lived.

That's enough rambling from me. I'll just go away now and fade back into Thai society and continue to make this my personal choice of where I like to be and want to be. Anybody else actually like living here?

40 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

I speak thai and I regularly hear thai people being degrading towards foreigners.

whats your point?

Like TVF members and washed up bar stool dwellers do towards Thais ?

Its just humans - they're not very nice in any country - however on a personal level I only ever seem to get smiles and genuine welcomes - but then again perhaps because I treat them as equals.

I play snooker occasionally with three thai lads - its a laugh. My pool team has 4 westerners, 3 thai girls and a thai guy - always have a laugh. Life's what you make it if you have a positive outlook I guess. However not everyone can be liked by everyone, if you clash with someone it doesn't mean there's something inherently wrong with either of you, you just clash. Move on.

Archived