BANGKOK 19 August 2019 08:17
flyingtlger

Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

34 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Playoff menthol green packet

Is there any tobacco product in them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those who live a western life style, including food, clothing, etc.

Cost of living has gone up.

For those who rely on foreign currency, the exchange rate has not gone in their favour.

Together, real cost of living in USD has gone up 20% over the last few years. More for UK and Euro people.

Pollution has also increased significantly in parts that were not as severly affected in previous years.

And of course visa crackdowns on those who abused the visa system (despite doing nothing more than wishing to live and spend here without taking a job)

factor all those together, and this results in a drop.

Also, Thailand has not achieved anything to offset these deterrents to try and balance or attract new expats.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Dont smoke them they will kill you coffin tacks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked, they all kill you.

never seen a butt that was good for u.

and I don't think the Thai 40 baht dishes are healthy either, personally I hope I'm not forced to eat cheap Thai food in my retirement years, I worked hard all my life to avoid this situation, tough for those that aren't fortunate, and I too have seen the local dishes rise to 80 ish baht and then some.

i can see the tension in the air for a few years. It's just not the same. Top it off with the visa BS, drop in currency,etc etc etc and it's all just spiralled downhill.

fortunately I only come for the winters, home is paradise compared to Thailand now.

• Haha 1

Where do you see many leaving? Are you sitting at the airport and asking people why they are flying out and if they are coming back?

Have you compared your statement with the amount that settles down in Thailand per year?

The only thing more expensive is smokes and alcohol. Other things are mostly same. Not including normal price hikes that has happened in the rest of the world too.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is there any tobacco product in them?

Yeah, there are alright I used to smoke LM 

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Where do you see many leaving? Are you sitting at the airport and asking people why they are flying out and if they are coming back?

Have you compared your statement with the amount that settles down in Thailand per year?

The only thing more expensive is smokes and alcohol. Other things are mostly same. Not including normal price hikes that has happened in the rest of the world too.

Rents have not gone up over the last 5 or 6 years around here anyway

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Another reason expats are leaving is because the girls are getting so fat here. .

When they start eating Farang food you can see the kids early morning at 7/11 eating junk they are becoming obese 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

Just the other day I went to top off my Rabbit card at a BTS station and they asked for my passport.

As much as I love Thailand I think I will be moving on to greener pastures.

You could always drop the Rabbit card and stay?

11 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Rents have not gone up over the last 5 or 6 years around here anyway

And where in the world has that not been a natural effect due to raise in saluries, more expensive maintenance and so on. Raised property taxes, more expensive renovations and repairs. Yeah, can go on forever. Off course that happens in Thailand too. 

I have been having same office rent for the last 8 years, though.

55 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Tiger drought between 50 and 60 Baht a glass been the same for a few years around here

That's called LKS or "large keg syndrome".

Synonymous with a small world, aka not getting out much.

• Haha 1