Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Where are these greener pastures.......and remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

regards Worgeordie

New Zealand lol and the pastures are definitely a  lot greener something to do with the rainfall lol 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, poohy said:

My wifes a ex restaurateur and a complete miser she complains food prices are rising monthly this is across the board at all her haunts  Market Macro and Tesco (i only accompany her to macro for my goodies)

I don't really claim to understand the way the worlds financial system works.  If anything I am a conspiracy theory guy who thinks that some invisible group holds the noose around 99% of the worlds balls ( i am including females here to be politically correct) .   Stock crashes, stock booms, currency ups and downs, mango prices (to the farmers)  6 baht,kg one year and 15 baht another.  and the constant rise of food prices to the consumer.   What can I as a meaningless individual do ?  I can tell you it ain't gonna change a thing if I vote or march in protest.  I laugh that others think it matters which figurehead they put in place .  Sure that statement will get me some sad emojis from those who disagree.  Its ok,  George Carlin has some great insights on the matter, and that was 20 years ago !  

I brought my US dollar here over 20 years ago and so it worked out (so far) pretty good.  Why are Aus and Eoropean currencies now getting killed ?  Mai ru !   But they are low against all other currencies, aren't they?

Those of you depending on monthly inflows are having it rough unless you have millions.  

In US and Canada where i have ties,,,,, the cost of food and lodging is WAY more than here.  Not even close.  And I don't think people are smiling much about the costs of living there either,  

If its monetary necessity I can see leaving..... but it still comes down to where is it better ?? 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong. Many on the forum have stated they already left mainly over visa issues.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Many? You sure about that?

There are certainly more stating they're getting turned around at airports and not getting let in regardless of visa or intent but TBH, the only thing that comes close to that in subject matter are the perpetual 'green grass grazers' asking the same old questions about other places to go before venting the same old excuses for wanting to leave... and still staying.

The flouncers are very few and farther between and as I said, the genyoowine leaver has probably already pulled an Elvis.

38 minutes ago, Genmai said:

Will you be weathering another 4 months of toxic air next year too?

hopefully not 4 months.  In 25 years that was the worst (well, longest).   It is the main problem for me, and may force me to do the nomad thing next year

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

There was a time when it never bothered me but eventually I tired of expats in Bangkok equating so much to the hooker industry. Nana this, Cowboy that....who cares about that crap and why is it so important to some expats? I sure as hell don't know anything about hooker bars at home and they never come up in conversation so why do I want to hear about them in Thailand? Too many throwbacks from the sex tourist days still around for my liking. Add that to the list of things that drive me away.

Ummm... apart from the flippant mention of a BJ, my rant was about paying for a bed for your car at an Aussie hotel and bugger all to do with poontang hatcheries.

19 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Yes , Chang Mai, I got sick f breathing smoke for months at a time. 

And another guy saying nothing has risen in ten years.

i think he's been smoking the green grass!

I am 70 kms from Cm...... and it wasn't as bad.   when i drove into CM I could smell the smoke.  Not near Chomtong where I am.   Like my previous post.... gotta wait and see if it is terrible again.  Despite what some say, most of my years around the North the situation was not life threatening.  What has changed and for how long we will see.   I am not doing a runner   yet

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Many hotels will also charge you for wifi, up to $30.

I've done, or have checked what would cost to do a bicycle service, in Lombok, Indonesia around $7AUD,  Samui $25, Sydney starting from $120. 

But Lombok's a long, long bike ride just to save a few bob on a bike service no?

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"...as well as immigration laws that make it very unattractive to live in the Thailand".

That explains why Immigration offices are so empty these days, everyone's left because it's so difficult to stay.

No... it's (wait for it)... LOW SEASON and it's ALWAYS moribund in the halls of Thai immigration nation wide.

Except for the ones that are busy processing Chinese, Vietnamese, Burmese, Cambodian, Laotian, etc., etc..

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But Lombok's a long, long bike ride just to save a few bob on a bike service no?

Nope, I've done it while riding there.

Just comparing costs...it is all relative. Compared to Thailand there are cheaper and more expensive places - for any taste and budget. 

"Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?"

You've missed the dozens of threads about this topic for the last 6 months?
Expect another hundred threads before the bum's and fraudsters leave for Good around June next year as they continue to blame Thailand for their lack of funds

It's a great cull at least then when I speak to expats I will know they are not desperate

2 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

They sure do.

I went to my local market yesterday and bought the following and it came to 120 baht.

1 big bunch of dill

1 big bunch of mint,

1 big combo bunch of spring onion and cilantr

A tom yum bunch

1 big bunch of basil

A large chunk of pumpkin

4 medium potatos

4 limes

one big head of broccoli

one big bunch of kale

one head of cos lettuce

That is very fair value in my eyes.

Does this come with MSG 555 ?

5 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

We have had enough! Being treated like second class citizens by the locals has finally worn thin.

We are not wanted here. It's plainly obvious for all to see.

They don't like us anymore, possibly never have.

But never mind, I will take my money elsewhere and spend it where the people are grateful.

Too funny this post is typical near a copy and past of what I read on Thaivisa since I am member so may be five years.

« Second class citizen...not wanted...don’t like us anymore...I will take my money elsewhere »

So caricatural that it makes my day 

24 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Does this come with MSG 555 ?

They were all raw foods. I'm not sure if any of those products I purchased have naturally occurring MSG like mushroom and tomatoes have. I didn't buy any granules of MSG if that is what you mean.

5 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Another reason expats are leaving is because the girls are getting so fat here. I haven't been to agogo for 10y, but i heard many places have reinforced the dancing tables since they where about to crack.

:cheesy:
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

And it's reported the chairs are being reinforced for the customers sitting in the agogos!!

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The basic, LOCALLY PRODUCED stuff at meat, fish and vegetable markets has all increased markedly since 2014. This, along with the junta's drive to eradicate street foot, has forced many local, neighborhood restaurants that were making a sustainable living and serving good food to eventually shutter. This exacerbated the already unchecked ability for landlords to rack up rents when they saw a tenant's restaurant business doing well. Coincidental with this manaipulation on how the local people spent their money on food or chose to dine, the 7-eleven's and Family Mart's started offering more and more pre-packaged, pre-processed, Thai-style, microwaveable and basically unhealthy 'TV dinners' that notably are the same price as they ever were.

look at the ingredients of your 7/11 pre-packed meal... one time I counted 35 chemical additives ... msg included

6 hours ago, transam said:

Booze and smokes still cost peanuts here, have a look in farangland at the cost of a pack of smokes, UK is around 10 quid whereas here 60bht...

Holy Hell Trans....You are smoking garbage mate....Marlboro is now 145Baht a pack....Used to be 70 baht.

1 hour ago, wtfracing said:

New Zealand lol and the pastures are definitely a  lot greener something to do with the rainfall lol 

Yes it is,lived a while in Hamilton, was renting a small holding,and bought 10 sheep,

let them out of the trailer and they just bolted,never to be seen again,the farmer

next door said they will have been from up in the mountains and will have hardly

seen a human,so that was the end of trying to be a sheppard,only good thing was

they were very cheap.sheep.

The problem not easy to retire there ,correct ?  

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, weegee said:

Holy Hell Trans....You are smoking garbage mate....Marlboro is now 145Baht a pack....Used to be 70 baht.

I don't smoke now, so I must be a little out of touch with your posh fags...But I reckon they are still half the price of farangland...????

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Well it's not exactly the hive of industry and commerce is it..

As of 2017, the Thailand automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia[1] and the 12th largest in the world.[2][3][4] The Thailand industry has an annual output of near two million vehicles (passenger cars and pickup trucks), more than countries such as Belgium, the United Kingdom, Italy, Czech Republic, and Turkey.  

1 minute ago, transam said:

I don't smoke now, so I must be a little out of touch with your posh fags...But I reckon they are still half the price of farangland...????

Was down home a month ago....Same pack of smokes there was $37 per pack....

Bit less than half ...

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

As of 2017, the Thailand automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia[1] and the 12th largest in the world.[2][3][4] The Thailand industry has an annual output of near two million vehicles (passenger cars and pickup trucks), more than countries such as Belgium, the United Kingdom, Italy, Czech Republic, and Turkey.  

Yes, they assemble them for others...LOS do not make a car or pickup..

Archived