Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Anything involving alcohol or tobacco.

Most restaurant prices.

Almost all imported individual items, with the exception of commodities which have an internationally fixed price.

1) yes, taxes went up. But local "whisky" still cheap if I am not mistaken.
2) not where I am going
3) imported should be cheaper as the Bath is strong, something not adding up here
4) commodities may be priced internationally, but the price is "fixed" (i.e. agreed for a number of transactions) everyday anew and can wildly fluctuate.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

Do is it all make you feel welcomed though?

Like red carpet, welcoming with open arms and a cold glass of champagne welcome?

I don't need that warm and fuzzy welcoming feeling. I never had that feeling in my own native country, so, why would I expect it here?

As far as I can see (and hear) nothing has changed at all with the Thai people that I interact with. Thai officialdom are a bit surly, but, but it has always been thus..... 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

People who read Thai Visa I've not heard of anyone else.  

I know guy in that category, life for him has not changed he does not know about insurances money in bank requirements etc, he always uses agent and has for years 

Obviously complains about exchange rate an stuff going up but other than that hes oblivious to everything Including TV

He seems happier than most!

7 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Just the other day I went to top off my Rabbit card at a BTS station and they asked for my passport.

I bought a bus ticket to Surin the other day...they asked for my passport...I showed them my Thai driving licence, which did the trick.

They asked a Thai man in front of me for id also...no problem for either of us...just "go with the flow"..that's my motto.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Wow, that's getting on for 800bht, or are you talking a 200 sleeve..?

ONE pack( not a sleeve) of Marlboro in Australia is $37 AUD....and in some places it's $42.....AUD. Australia has gone MAD !!!

2 minutes ago, weegee said:

ONE pack( not a sleeve) of Marlboro in Australia is $37 AUD....and in some places it's $42.....AUD. Australia has gone MAD !!!

That is crazy....All those do-gooders who do sod all but control, bloody boring people for sure...????

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

I don't know of anyone who has left. 

I know of 6 in the last month. If you guys think it’s expensive on the mainland come live on the islands to travel 0.5 km in a beep beep is 100+ baht or to go 500 metre in a taxi is 250 baht ☹️ Even what used to be the 30 baht food stand is now 99 baht.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've not noticed much in the way of inflation.

What items do you think have gone up?

The room I rented 10 years back at 5k/month is still the same price.

Petrol is now 26bht, it was 32bht.

A kilo of bread flour is 32bht, same as it was back then.

Some things are kept artificial the same price many things did increase a lot of time 2009 till today. Iverall many things in Thailand cost nearly the same as in the west or even more.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Where in the neck of the woods do you live hugh ?! Fyi, where I live ( On Nut ) They’ve increased my rent 3 times in 6 years and this year they will increase it again !

Then, the Farmhouse bread have increased its price to 40฿ this happened about 6 months ago ! 

A sigarette pack is at least 80-100 ฿ 

The petrol goes up and down ( depending also on the grade ) As they feel like this along with the BTS tickets prices which are rather high now a days, jus to mention a few things, perhaps you live in Laos or in the Philippines ?! ????

I personally know of a few that have left, not just recently. None for financial reasons.Just tired of Thailand.

Some of those took back a small part of Thailand when they left, their Thai wives.

None post on here.

I know a few others that have or are reducing their time in Thailand, including myself.

Currently away on a 4 month break. Have return flight booked for Thailand but fully plan to spend less time there going forward.

I know of a few that left but it was more under the pretense they did not like it here, some went back home, others to South America and one to Russia. 

I live out in a village. Price per plate for food is 25 baht to 35 baht. Plate sizes are the same as 10 years back but maybe less meat. Anything from overseas is expensive. If buying meat or veges, it is still cheap.

My costs have gone up 30% in four years due to currency. If it makes it to 50% my wife and I will return home. I am not at my limit yet but I do have one. 

I cannot see the baht getting weaker to the AUD even with cuts. 

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

In Australia they are 1,000 baht a pack.

A packet of 20 is around AUD $25 so 500 Bht.. A pack of 40 or slim 50s are about 1000 Bht.. 

Probably the Australians have the most expensive ciggies on the planet, but they still have smokers prepared to pay for their addiction.. 

24 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Then, the Farmhouse bread have increased its price to 40฿ this happened about 6 months ago !

I always cook my own bread, about 16bht for a 750gm loaf, been the same price for 10 years.

Bread flour hasn't gone up, farmhouse are just fleecing you, no reason for price increases.

Made this one at lunchtime.

bread.jpg

"Just the other day I went to top off my Rabbit card at a BTS station and they asked for my passport.

I think immigration's and thegovernment is taking it too far...."

They did not ask you for your passport because of "immigration and the government" but to protect you. Remember...the Rabbit Card is a mean of payment and has money "stored" on it. Associating your card with your ID allows the BTS to suspend it if you loose it or get it stolen providing you declare the loss or the theft to them... And to replace your card with the same amount stored when you report the loss or the theft...

Thailand has always been a transient place for foreigners, a mere pitstop in life.  People like me are as rare as dinosaurs and almost everyone I knew in the early years are long gone.  Over the decades the kind of people coming to Thailand have changed and so have their reasons for leaving.  But for all the complaining there are always more people arriving, everyday.  I see no reason to get all upset over people leaving.

Thailand has always been a transient place for foreigners, a mere pitstop in life.  People like me are as rare as dinosaurs and almost everyone I knew in the early years are long gone.  Over the decades the kind of people coming to Thailand have changed and so have their reasons for leaving.  But for all the complaining there are always more people arriving, everyday.  I see no reason to get all upset over people leaving.
Rather than being upset over other people leaving, these topics are usually about people desperately trying to justify their decision to leave. I have a feeling that a high percentage of them never get around to actually leaving!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

every where is getting more expensive  

Thailand  is also a bit more but i guess everybody has a living standard ,if u just shop in supermarkets or makro   then the price is more,

i find shopping in market s   still  reasonable  pricing  simple food but eat good and browsing markets is intresting.

when we on the road we almost find something we need reasonable price /fruit /mushrooms/ salt 

19 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I see no reason to get all upset over people leaving.

I'm not aware of anyone who's 'all upset' over or about leaving. Conversely I have met some(possibly many) people who are annoyed that they see it that they have to leave...., but, in stark contrast to being annoyed, these people are also very happy they have an unpolluted, predictable, ordered, arguably more civilised and comparatively uncorrupted country to return to !

18 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

agree

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Rather than being upset over other people leaving, these topics are usually about people desperately trying to justify their decision to leave. I have a feeling that a high percentage of them never get around to actually leaving!

I see them as the same sort of people who stamp their foot at some real or imagined slight by an airline and shout "I'll never fly this airline again". Next month they're traveling with the same airline as if nothing had happened

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most things have gone up,especially stuff farangs buy,but thai necessities also,the street food vendors had to put their prices up to cover the costs of buying the inflated prices of ingredients,also the government putting up taxes on alcohol & cigarettes every so often,notice a bigger tax hike on farang smokes & alcohol, the bars & gogo bars put a bottle of Heineken up B10 & more,the tax rise on foreign beer was 5% which worked out at less than B1,my usual wholesaler put a 24 bottle box up B20

Archived