Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

I know several people who have already left and others who will be leaving when their one year extensions come due. I doubt if any of them had concerns over prices rising.  The reason these people are leaving, is immigration imposing their idiotic 800,000 baht deposit requirement in a Thai bank, and the TM forms for their movements.  

Unless you live in some sort of bubble, Thailand is fast becoming a police state.  Chinese and Russians don't seem to be concerned about the lack of free speech or close surveillance, since they have been living under communism and are used to it.  Most westerners are not going to buy into this nonsense and are just moving on.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Never smoked but booze costs at least as much and often more than the UK here (in a bar)

Unless you're drinking on the steps of 7-11 - how is it 'peanuts' ?

btw if you know anyone doing a visa run to Myanmar I'm told the 200 pack of cigs is the price of 20 here.

Premium gold 7000 Kyat for 200, about 140 baht

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Salt is also cheap, same as 20 years ago.

One of my favorite apples Fuji, went from 32 baht to 52 baht in two years. Overall there are quite a lot of things that have gone up. Bananas at Big C went from 28 to 34, not much, but it all adds to the weekly bills. Must be harder for a Thai person on low income.

I'm here 8 years, somehow found the love of my life, never looked for. I'm 31 years young, my wife is 34, well educated. 

I won't stay here another 5 years.

putting 11,600 EUR in a bankaccount just to extend my visa another year. it drives me nutz.
had a Co. LTD, Thailand still owns me 600,000 THB VAT refund. most likely i'll never get them.

corruption is a deal breaker.

i'm from germany, i believe in a free world, the government makes me sick. it affects everydays life (see the 600k refund. i can get around 30% of it, if the other 70% goes to the revenue department worker - under the table). you get scammed on every corner. i got scammed and police didn't care about it (we bought bunch of hardware and one guy didn't deliver the goods). the traffic. the <deleted> traffic. it drives me sick. on weekends i don't even wanna leave my house anymore and spend time in the car. zero joy. (i live in samut prakarn). 

the food - i never liked the cheap thai food, so eat western food most likely. can't wait to go somewhere else and get good quality food. the quality of restaurants is pathetic! i don't go there since a year. i just get food delivery of my favorite vegan restaurants every 2 days and live with that. 
i'm done with thailand. would have had left 2 years ago, but still have my wife - and 4 dogs. she also gets sick of doing the same stuff in her company for the last 11 years. it's time to prepare and find something somewhere else. maybe canada, maybe US, somewhere else. i dont' know. but everywhere is better than this shit hole.

i can't wait - in 6 months the immigration police is visiting me again, doing dumbfuck photos of me sitting on my bed and the sofa, interviewing my neighbors. <deleted> this shit. i'm really done. 

thailand once was great, the first 2-3 years was real fun. but i'm getting older, the fun gets less. just living here sucks for me. 

once thailand was so cheap - qualityt didn't matter. now it's getting expensive, so the value isn't good anymore. this will sum up the whole country.

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

They were all raw foods. I'm not sure if any of those products I purchased have naturally occurring MSG like mushroom and tomatoes have. I didn't buy any granules of MSG if that is what you mean.

Natural MSG is way different than chemically changed MSG which is poisonous to the brain.

Google MSG poisoning.

I always tell them not to put MSG inside my food and they always give me a weird look.

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe so, but surely no one who knows about the immigration issues, TM28, TM30 etc and how we are treated like criminals would want to retire here.

For many, it just isn't much of a big deal, including myself. Many retirees stay here year round, so, after doing it once, it doesn't have to be done again.

Phuket immigration only require it if you come back from abroad, they're not interested in inter-province stays.

I do not know of one person who has left.

But, I understand a 10 to 20 b increase in something can be a possible deal breaker.

If you want to go I am hearing Myanmar is good. Developing, cheap and they love expat.

Check it out.

Good luck to all seeking better pastures.

When everyone states how cheap it is to live in Thailand, it is cheaper than where they came from except?

Compare the house, car, everything you had in your country to what you have now?

It's cheaper because you downgraded the quality of all those things in your life

10 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

In the States, smokes can run between $5 ~ $13 per pack. That's 150 to 400 THB!

And people still smoke!

40-50 dollars in Australia. My mum gave up because she preferred to eat than smoke lol.

I know of 6 in the last month. If you guys think it’s expensive on the mainland come live on the islands to travel 0.5 km in a beep beep is 100+ baht or to go 500 metre in a taxi is 250 baht [emoji3525] Even what used to be the 30 baht food stand is now 99 baht.
You need better class of friends. The poor are being squeezed out and Cambodia getting.them. Lucky Cambodia!

47 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I know several people who have already left and others who will be leaving when their one year extensions come due. I doubt if any of them had concerns over prices rising.  The reason these people are leaving, is immigration imposing their idiotic 800,000 baht deposit requirement in a Thai bank, and the TM forms for their movements.  

Unless you live in some sort of bubble, Thailand is fast becoming a police state.  Chinese and Russians don't seem to be concerned about the lack of free speech or close surveillance, since they have been living under communism and are used to it.  Most westerners are not going to buy into this nonsense and are just moving on.

You realize that denialists here are going to accuse you of posting fake news? Yes obviously the triple whammy (plus) visa changes for retirement for those that have embassies that flaked out is a big cause. The strong baht is the cherry on the cake.

800K -- year round seasoning on STEROIDS (five months 800K, three months 300K) increased from only three months

Some offices incorrectly enforcing three months before for subsequent applications. Surprise! Go away now!

Embassy letters for many, ba bye!

Extreme enforcement for those doing monthly transfers (international codes, codes, codes, oh my!)

Not all offices honoring the first year's liberalization suggestion to be able to show less than 12 months

Combo methods not being accepted at all at some offices

Just ONE of these onerous changes in a given year would have hit some people. ALL of them at once, it's no wonder people are feeling, hey, this is feeling INTENTIONAL. 

32 minutes ago, fafafa said:

once thailand was so cheap - qualityt didn't matter. now it's getting expensive, so the value isn't good anymore. this will sum up the whole country.

This is a pretty accurate statement.

If I want to live like another poster said, like a local and adapt to how things are, eating street meals from the vendors or from the local markets like many Thai families do is the way you got to go and live. You really do need now to cook to save money. My life has become 30% more expensive in four years. It is most likely going to get another 20% more expensive with the rate of the dollar over the coming years. It is starting to get to be not worth it.

Yes, this is summing things up - like my wife said to me five minutes ago, we need to have that Plan B in place because Thailand is pricing itself out slowly on our dollar and on inflation. Even if the baht went to say 33 to the USD, it will mean jack shit to us Australians. When I was home in Australia recently, an AUD gave you an AUD to spend and food prices in the shopping markets (for proper farang ingredients) was at a fair price. It was the same price to go and buy the basic foods as eating here and cooking here. As long as you own your own property, IMO, your better off at home.

My insurance premiums I pay here are the same as my rates in Australia. My aircon bill here is the same as my power bill at home. Not a big difference. I have no need to move to Vietnam to save costs as we own our own house here and we have access to property back in Australia. I don't need to move anywhere else but home if it turns to shit. I had planned out most my life here in Thailand but the big old world is in a bit of a mess at the moment and personally, I think a bigger mess is coming. We are seeing a rash of currency movements, highs on stock markets and a lot of things just don't match.

Could be in for a bit of a hard time soon. I just do not see things getting better for us Aussies for some time.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The basic, LOCALLY PRODUCED stuff at meat, fish and vegetable markets has all increased markedly since 2014. This, along with the junta's drive to eradicate street foot, has forced many local, neighborhood restaurants that were making a sustainable living and serving good food to eventually shutter. This exacerbated the already unchecked ability for landlords to rack up rents when they saw a tenant's restaurant business doing well. Coincidental with this manaipulation on how the local people spent their money on food or chose to dine, the 7-eleven's and Family Mart's started offering more and more pre-packaged, pre-processed, Thai-style, microwaveable and basically unhealthy 'TV dinners' that notably are the same price as they ever were.

2day at Makro, pork butt 115 Baht/kg. About same price I payed 10 years ago. Meat, fish and veggies not particularly up.

32 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not know of one person who has left.

But, I understand a 10 to 20 b increase in something can be a possible deal breaker.

You are the same guy who doesn't see the rows of empty shop houses isn't it, and also earlier were telling us that The Base is the best condo money can buy, though lately you have moved away from there as I can understand.

Begs the question if you actually know anybody around here.

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I have been having same office rent for the last 8 years, though.

Maybe you paid double the price in the first place?  Happens to the best of us at least a few times!!

42 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

you don't understand it. it's not the price increase, it's the quality/value that is now unequal 

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Many? Really? Go on, then, which ones, let's hear some of the "many" you're quoting, specifically, that make me wrong in your opinion. 

I reckon you won't be able to name, say, just three who you have evidence of that actually left, never mind many.

Well, I left over a year ago, I did not have a problem getting a visa, and never would have ....I still would have enough money until I died I suspect so I don’t have a money problem per se either...but I am sick of many things including paying $12000 a year for international school and that will continue to go up.  My school has had an auto 5% inflation price increase built in, plus goes up with age, plus come up with other excuses.

Seriously, Thailand is not for everyone and it depends on your situation. I was just about to leave 5 years ago after being here 2 years already. I met my Thai GF and her wonderful family and was made to feel right at home. That continues to this day. My situation works for me and I feel very lucky. A friend left after thinking that he might retire here. It just wasn't for him. Not his personality. 

In my opinion you can still save money here and live pretty good. But it all depends on your situation and the people you have connected with both Thai and Farang, combined with your personality.

My biggest complaint is the air pollution. Last burning season I literally lived on some days in the most polluted place on the earth. That might end up being my deal breaker. 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

'Thai stuff' has the same ingredients as 'farang stuff', learn to cook and avoid the foreigner double pricing.

I don't use alcohol or tobacco, but the local Thai whiskey (Black Cock), vodka (Red Cock) and rum (Hong Thong) don't appear to have risen much in price.

No need to visit bars or gogos, I've got a woman at home.

Darwinism in action, one must adapt to local conditions to survive in this world.

Don't use alcohol? 

So why do regale us with tales of copious cheap pints and women in Cambodia? 

Just now, rumak said:

I have been looking at the world map and can't figure out ....... are there two countries called Thailand ?

I live 70 km from Chiangmai  THAILAND  and I can't think of one thing that costs me even 50% of what it would in the west.  my water bill averages 100 baht a month .   tank of gas for cooking 420 baht (will last 4-6 months)  oh, delivered and changed out !  worker to cut grass  400 baht day     fruit and vegetables dirt cheap , wash with baking soda or vinegar (as does my daughter in Canada).   bike rides ...FREE... and no one yells "go back where you came from"  or throws cans at us.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but currently in a 1st world country and many items are cheaper than Thailand.

Good quality food is.  beer is half price, buying 660 ml bottles for equivalent of 28 baht. wine 80 % off.Sub 100 baht a bottle.

Fruit tastes far better.Fruit juice is cheaper.Pasta is cheaper, sub half Thai price.

Gardener, got me there, here looking at 3500 baht a day. If you can get them to turn up.

Roads are better, drivers are better, pavements are better.

Internet is better, electric supply is better.

Service standards are higher.

It is not about being cheaper for some though, just some want higher standards.

1 hour ago, hugocnx said:

2day at Makro, pork butt 115 Baht/kg. About same price I payed 10 years ago. Meat, fish and veggies not particularly up.

Trying to persuade those that swear things are just as cheap in Aus or US or Europe is a losing cause.

They will then go on to talk about quality.  Where do they think the fruit the are buying for 10 times more comes from ?   Maybe Mexico or Guatemala or uhhh  Thailand  ?   And the meat and chicken they are buying is just as full of hormones and antibiotics as anywhere else.   If they buy organic they are spending LOTS of money !   Heads up to those living here.  If you live in Thailand and can find Betagro chicken or pork read the print on plastic covering container.   Its in Thai... but wife or gf can help if you don't read thai.

I just started buying it.  Wish I knew before.  Affordable !  And very good

48 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Don't use alcohol? 

So why do regale us with tales of copious cheap pints and women in Cambodia? 

Beer is not alcohol, it is an optional water substitute. Get with the times ????

Thailand has effectively been a police state since 2014! Keep up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, rumak said:

Trying to persuade those that swear things are just as cheap in Aus or US or Europe is a losing cause.

Try to persuade me the currency I have lost is not the same amount as my monthly shopping bill.

Just spent three months in OZ and my shopping bill was the same as what I spend in Thailand. You just eat what is cheap in either respective country and nothing really changes. Go to Woolies late in the Evenings and the amount of stuff on specials is just surprising. I just shopped around, bought what was on special and my wife and I ate well. Go to wholesale Butchers and the meat was really cheap. The only difference was we had to cook most nights but that is not a problem when your wife is a good cook.

Archived