Taxi fares to rise 10% and airport surcharge up to 70 baht from September

webfact

Taxi fares to rise 10% and airport surcharge up to 70 baht from September

3pm.jpg

The new minister for Transport has announced increased charges for taxis following a meeting on Wednesday.

Daily News said the changes will represent an increase in 10% and come in on September 8th. 

The taxi drivers said they are happy with the decisions. 

Flag fall will stay at 35 baht but there will be increases for distances traveled as follows:

1-10 kilometers 5.50 baht up to 6.50 baht per kilometer

10-20 up from 6.50 to 7

20-40 up from 7.50 to 8

40-60 up from 8 to 8.50

From 60 - 80 and from 80 up the fares will stay at 9 baht and 10.50 respectively. 

Charges for high end vehicles like Mercedes Benz and Camry idling in traffic (travelling at under 6 kms per hour) will increase from 2 to 3 baht per minute. 

It was unclear whether all the increases were to taxis across the board or just VIP cabs. 

Airport surcharges are also on the rise from 50 to 70 baht for small vehicles and 70 to 90 for larger ones. 

Two 26 inch size bags must be carried free but subsequent bags will be charged a levy of 20 baht each. 

The OK taxi scheme has been scrapped and the duration that taxis can be used has been extended from 9 to 12 years with checks on vehicles at three month intervals. 

Saksayam Chidchop the transport minister ordered that changes in the law take place to enable the legal operation of services like Grab Taxi. 

Sadit Jaithiang representing the drivers said that they were pleased with the new charges. 

Representatives from Pattaya were also at the meeting, noted Daily News. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-08

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sadit Jaithiang representing the drivers said that they were pleased with the new charges. 

Representatives from Pattaya were also at the meeting, noted Daily News. 

Representatives from the Scammers accepted a 10% increased rip off.

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

1-10 kilometers 5.50 baht up to 6.50 baht per kilometer

That is a 18% increase, not 10%. Though to be honest it doesn't matter as most drivers refuse to use the meter anyway. Just hope this makes more of them use the meter, as opposed to giving them an excuse to demand more than they already do (which is eventually what's going to happen).

As for the airport - rides to the airport are already costly with tollway and airport fee. But I never use taxis anyway - I'd rather pay a little more for Grab and not contribute to the taxi mafia there - a bunch of con artists.

10 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Is Grab more ? They quoted me 1800 baht to the airport that I am normally charged 2500 for

Grab are a welcome game changer that's for sure

1800 baht to the airport from where? A regular street taxi from Thonburi on the west side of Bangkok to Swampy Airport is about 400 b.

Bangkok to Korat is 2000 b.

Transport minister gives green light for taxi fare increase

By The Nation

800_32828128298584d.jpg?v=1565234498

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob Wednesday gave the green light to a package of fare increase for taxis, including distance rates, airport surcharges and the rate while not moving in traffic.

Saksaym said the new rates would come into effect in about a month after the new taxi application is developed and in use. 

Taxi drivers have been calling for several years for a fare increase to reflect rising costs and higher fuel prices.

Saksayam said the Land Transport Department has come up with fare rates that are acceptable to both taxi drivers and the government.

Under the new rates, the fare would remain at Bt35 for the first kilometer travelled while for the second to tenth kilometres, it would be charged t6.5 per km, an increase of Bt0.5 per km.

For the 11th km to 20th km, the fare would be Bt7 per km, an increase of Bt0.5 per km while for the 21st km to 40th km, it would rise to Bt7.5 per km. 

He added that the fare for the 41st km to 60th km would be Bt8.5 per km, and Bt9 per km for the 61st km to 80th km. Drives beyond 80 kms would be charged at Bt10.50 per km.

Saksayam said currently there are two classes of taxis – normal and VIP taxis. Up until now only taxis owned by companies or cooperatives could be registered for VIP services but the Transport Ministry will allow individually owned taxis to be registered as VIP taxis as well if they meet certain criteria, such as having large engine of 110 horse power and have been in service for more than two years.

Currently, the ministry allows VIP taxis to charge an immobile rate of Bt3 per minute and normal taxis Bt2 per minute. Under the new rules, both types of taxis will charge passengers Bt3 per minute when not moving or crawling at a speed of no more than 6 kms per hour.

He said the ministry also gave an approval for taxis to increase airport surcharge rates from Bt50 to Bt70 for normal size taxis and from Bt70 to Bt90 for large size taxis.

Moreover, the Land Transport Department would allow taxis to charge passengers Bt20 per bag for the third bag and more while the first two bags would be carried free of charge.

The Land Transport Department would coordinate with the Airports of Thailand to announce and enforcing the new rates soon.

Saksayam added that the Land Transport Department also agreed with the call to allow taxis to be in service for 12 years instead of the present 9, but the vehicles would have to undergo a complete check every three months. 

The ministry also agreed to stop using the Taxi OK app and system that requires new taxis to install GPS before registering and pay a monthly fee of Bt400.

He said the Land Transport Department had been instructed to develop a new app that would allow taxi drivers to use just their smartphones without having to install GPS. 

Once the new app is developed and in use, the new fare rates would be enforced and the new app would make taxi fare system transparent to passengers, Saksayam added.

He said the new app would bring all public transport operations to the same standard and taxi drivers would no longer be allowed to reject passengers as they would be monitored by the new app.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374465

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-08

Saksayam said currently there are two classes of taxis – normal and VIP taxis. Up until now only taxis owned by companies or cooperatives could be registered for VIP services but the Transport Ministry will allow individually owned taxis to be registered as VIP taxis as well if they meet certain criteria, such as having large engine of 110 horse power and have been in service for more than two years.

So, as the corolla Altis has 123hp, does this mean that all taxis can now be classed as VIP taxis? 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Two 26 inch size bags must be carried free but subsequent bags will be charged a levy of 20 baht each. 

I take it all drivers will be issued with a non-elastic tape measure to check the bag  sizes?

Oh, and a calculator to count the number of bags.

surcharge at airport, looooooooooool, go to departure floor... but watch out as many will not want to use meter, but plenty of good one's...just ask .... or get out

grab ?  how come only taxi's do that and not normal cars ?

in other countries, GRAB is cheaper than taxi

in thailand, for rides I know the price, grab is up to 50 percent more expensive

loooooooooooooooooooool

10 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:
19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Nothing stimulates me more than having to pay more next month for the same service I already used this month.

The girls must look forward to your visits if you're that easily stimulated

Ha ha! Yeah, I'm an absolute pushover.

1 hour ago, justin case said:

surcharge at airport, looooooooooool, go to departure floor... but watch out as many will not want to use meter, but plenty of good one's...just ask .... or get out

grab ?  how come only taxi's do that and not normal cars ?

in other countries, GRAB is cheaper than taxi

in thailand, for rides I know the price, grab is up to 50 percent more expensive

loooooooooooooooooooool

Have you ever used Grab in Thailand? Grab fares are by meter and a 20bht app booking fee.. The meter charge is the same as your usual hail on the street taxi.. 

I've used both here for years, but prefer Grab as cleaner car, more prepared with GPS co-ords for pick-up and destination.. A driver service feedback on their app after completed journey.. 

50% more expensive? Your dreaming  #justin case

Why do people still use the extortionate taxis, if I land at suvanbum I get the bus to pattaya then a motorbike from there,ok I am a light traveller but if say someone with a lot of luggage hire a baht bus,the bell bus stops at central pattaya bus station & friendlier motorbike taxis than north pattaya,also the bus goes to jomtien,I lived a 10 minute walk from the central road stop,if I landed at Don muang get a minibus to suvanbum for B50 & bus from there

1 hour ago, owenm said:

Have you ever used Grab in Thailand? Grab fares are by meter and a 20bht app booking fee.. The meter charge is the same as your usual hail on the street taxi.. 

I've used both here for years, but prefer Grab as cleaner car, more prepared with GPS co-ords for pick-up and destination.. A driver service feedback on their app after completed journey.. 

50% more expensive? Your dreaming  #justin case

Grab Taxi involves a meter but Grab Car uses private cars without meters for fixed prices based on distance and availability, calculated when you book. It means the driver will take you the quickest, shortest way, which you can’t guarantee with a taxi driver on the meter.

So, in many cases the cabbies will be cheaper than the present massive overcharging and the airport surcharge increase will go in line with the increase in mess, queueing disaster and "vehicle logistics" - good on you guys. 

And then you wonder .......... 

It is funny that after getting a 500-600 baht promo ticket to fly, I manage to lose more on the short taxi rides to and from the airport.
Makes me wonder how those airplanes are still profitable vs 2 taxi cars.

Archived