Canada police find two bodies believed to be teen fugitives

webfact

Canada police find two bodies believed to be teen fugitives

By Moira Warburton

2019-08-07T201721Z_1_LYNXNPEF761VL_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-CASUALTIES.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Kam McLeod, 19 and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, suspects in the murder of an Australian tourist and his American girlfriend in northern British Columbia, and charged with the second-degree murder of Leonard Dyck, are seen in a combination of still images from undated CCTV taken in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan and released by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) July 26, 2019. Manitoba RCMP/Handout/File Photo via REUTERS.

(Reuters) - Canadian police said on Wednesday they found two bodies that they believe are of the fugitive teenage boys charged with killing a university lecturer and suspected in the murders of two tourists in British Columbia.

Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, both from Port Alberni, British Columbia, fled from British Columbia to Manitoba and were the target of an intense three-week manhunt.

Police declined to disclose how the two died, saying that they would wait for autopsies to confirm their identities and cause of death.

The pair was charged with second-degree murder in July of Leonard Dyck, 64, a botany lecturer at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. They are also suspects in the murders of Chynna Deese, 24, of Charlotte, North Carolina, and Lucas Fowler, 23, from Sydney, Australia.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy says authorities have discovered two bodies believed to be the those of teen suspects wanted in connection with British Columbia homicides. She says the bodies were found after the discovery of "several items directly linked" to the suspects in the search area. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

Canadian police on Tuesday they found "several items directly linked" to two teenage boys charged with killing a university lecturer and suspected in the murders of two tourists.

The pair, Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, both of Port Alberni, British Columbia, have been on the run for nearly three weeks with no confirmed sightings since July 22.

The bodies of McLeod and Schmegelsky were found near Gillam, Manitoba, 1 km (0.6 mile) from where the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) discovered "significant evidence" on Friday and 8 km (5 miles) from where McLeod and Schmegelsky's burning car was found on July 22, police said.

The evidence, which the RCMP declined to describe, proved to be "critical" in finding the bodies, Jane MacLatchy, RCMP assistant commissioner in Manitoba, told a news conference in Winnipeg.

Searchers had to contend with difficult terrain and thick forest. Linking arms and traversing ground, as is normally done in search operations, was out of the question, MacLatchy said.

Authorities were relieved that the alleged killers were found, she said, and hoped it ended a difficult period for victims' families and the Manitoba communities of Gillam, Fox Lake and York Landing that were at the centre of the manhunt.

"It's huge to be able to give people a chance to exhale and to go back to normal and not be afraid of who's out in the woods anymore," she said.

RCMP amassed a heavy presence around Gillam after the gray Toyota RAV4 driven by Schmegelsky and McLeod was found in flames on the highway between Gillam and Fox Lake, a small indigenous community to the north, on July 22.

At its peak, the investigation included members of the Canadian air force and military, as well as drones, dogs, emergency crews and RCMP major crime units.

The search weighed heavily on the tiny, remote communities of northern Manitoba as residents suddenly found themselves host to police and military personnel.

John McDonald, deputy mayor of Gillam, said the town was relieved the search was over, and leaders of the Cree indigenous communities in York Landing and Fox Lake requested trauma counselling for their members.

"It may take some time for people to recover from the trauma caused by this lengthy manhunt," said Grand Chief Garrison Settee, leader of an indigenous advocacy group in Manitoba.

British Columbia RCMP said at a press conference that the investigations into the deaths of Dyck, Deese and Fowler continued.

(Reporting by Moira Warburton in Toronto; editing by Denny Thomas, Sandra Maler and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-08

What a perfect ending, so appropriate, so relieving.

My guess is that they died of a combination of exhaustion, mal nutrition, dehydration and hypothermia. How perfect, probably slow and painful.

"The Mounties Always Get Their Man"; true to the slogan. They scaled back the search at one point but they never gave up. Bravo.

22 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Finally. I'm guessing double suicide or murder suicide.

Some reports mention a badly damaged boat and personal items of the two found on river bank.

Could be they drowned or got into trouble on the river and ended up in a situation where exhaustion and loss of supplies meant they could no longer survive in the area they were. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/07/canada-manhunt-police-searching-for-teen-fugitives-find-two-bodies

Pure speculation on my part however. 

Whatever, the world is better off without them. 

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Some reports mention a badly damaged boat and personal items of the two found on river bank.

Could be they drowned or got into trouble on the river and ended up in a situation where exhaustion and loss of supplies meant they could no longer survive in the area they were. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/07/canada-manhunt-police-searching-for-teen-fugitives-find-two-bodies

Pure speculation on my part however. 

Whatever, the world is better off without them. 

Lets hope a Bear got 'em.

Maybe that's what the RCMP found by the river; some human body parts !

Perhaps after the bears ate those skinny, stinking runts, the bear needed a drink.

The answer will come soon.

Still on topic but here's one for ThaiVisa. I am Canadian and have been following this story very closely, hoping for the outcome such as it was.

Where did I first learn of it? ThaiVisa! Subsequently, I checked my local news feed and it is still not there.

Actually, I highly expected that the German Shepherd Police dogs would have got to them. The outcome would have been gruesome. Whatever.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

I am Canadian and have been following this story very closely, hoping for the outcome such as it was.

It was covered in-depth on The National (CBC) every day since day 1. The National is free to all live on YouTube at 8am... or watch anytime at CBC YouTube. For me it makes for reasonable morning background noise until something catches my attention.

Hard to understand where these guys were headed. They were found north of where they burned their ride. The further most road in the province ends just a few miles from the place they were found. The RCMP say they were found in dense bush so that leaves out drowning. The river flows into Hudson's Bay and there are only some polar bears and seals up there. We had a family BBQ 600 miles south of there tonite and the women folk were sure happy it was over for those two. The police have never stated they were armed so hard to say how they died. Could have been exposure or cut their wrists when they concluded there was no way out.

a half botched murder-suicdide would have been better; where 'one' survivor could be taken through the mill to wear everything... 

an alternative reality one of them half surviving a desperate dog eat dog cannibal ending would have suited them too...

I wonder if there was ever a Neo-Bunker somewhere?

One of the kid's father comes across like a whack job blaming the 'system' for their woes. He said his son will 'go out in a blaze of glory' about a week or so ago, well, not so much I guess lol. One of the only bright spots is that Canadians will be spared the costs of trial/incarceration. Like usual, criminal case facts are not available to the public so speculation is rampant. To me it appears that these folks that lost their lives were just in the wrong place/ time scenario which makes it even more tragic imo. You just never know..

8 hours ago, mikebike said:

It was covered in-depth on The National (CBC) every day since day 1. The National is free to all live on YouTube at 8am... or watch anytime at CBC YouTube. For me it makes for reasonable morning background noise until something catches my attention.

Thanks, fully aware of ongoing coverage and CBC. I was talking about other sources that I use.

Not really a TV bug, just news.

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I am glad that no one else was hurt or injured trying to find these two jerks.     No more stress for the people of Manitoba, concerning these two killers.     Good  Riddance to them.

Geezer

I'm in Manitoba and can say people are relieved. It's now been reported the American/Austrialian young couple had been shoot. Good on the RCMP for finding them. Up there in the far north is one of the more isolated places on the planet. 

Archived