Tourism Minister promises more support for Phuket’s lifeguards

webfact

Tourism Minister promises more support for Phuket’s lifeguards

By The Phuket News

1565235218_1-org.jpg

The news follows Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn’s visit to Patong Beach last weekend. Photo: MoTS

PHUKET: Following his inspection tour of Phuket last weekend, new Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has voiced support for an increase in the number of lifeguards taking care of tourists at Phuket beaches, reports state news agency NNT.

The news follows Minister Phiphat visiting the lifeguards at Patong Beach, where he spoke directly with lifeguards about their concerns and was given a demonstration of a surf rescue and beach resuscitation.

Present for the visit to Patong were Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana, Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup and Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket office Director Kanokkittika Kritwutikorn.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourism-minister-promises-more-support-for-phuket-lifeguards-72433.php#f2RGW4JvwTyW1BLk.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-08

In my youth I spent quite a few years as a lifeguard both at the seaside and indoor pools.I still hold a number of teaching qualifications in regard to swimming and lifeguard training.

I recently spoke to a number of Thai "lifeguards" about their experience and qualifications.

It was very clear that the vast majority of them had no idea about how to actually rescue someone from a situation and that they had no formal and very little informal training.

Two I spoke to had done their "training" which was half a day in at an indoor pool and had never had any guidance on sea conditions.One had learnt to swim within the last six months.No one had any formal lifesaving qualifications.

Many times during the conversations,the tv programme Baywatch was mentioned and the need for ATVs to patrol the beach.At the same time they had no idea how to use CPR or when to use it and I had to explain what a defib machine was and how it could be used.

Draw your own conclusions on how useful these guys will be when you get into difficulties in the sea.

Archived