Meeting with immigration about TM30 and the latest news about the petition

Here is an interesting note reported by Richard Barrow at last nights meeting:

Immigration officials said tonight that if you have a minimum of a three year rental contract, you can then get a special benefit of not having to do a TM30 again for three years

Meaning if you have a live time allowance from your wife to stay at her house you don’t have to do a TM30, as long you are married??

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, schlemmi said:

The section 4 of the immi act is a verbatime copy from the "law on people act".

The law of people act defines further more the case if the housemaster is not reachable.

You should go to the Ampur and clear the situation with them.

Is there a "law on people act" , I always thought it is a poorly translated reference to the constitution.

Edited by Peterw42

On 8/8/2019 at 7:54 AM, smedly said:

It was said this was introduced to stop the use of agents

- this is money that would normally be used for living expenses -

since the reason for its introduction has not made any difference to the use of agents and backhanders to bypass the financial rules - 

Several points there.

Two sets of rules. 

Both seen official.

The immigration system law.

The head of an immigration office ability to construe the law their own way. 

The system still recognizes both.

Or at least it works. 

I know several people who use agent/ IO chief method. 

Leave and return without issue. 

Personally i don't want to tie up 800k.

I support my thai family. 

Plus a bit.

Then there's the exchange rate that's eroded 15,000 every month for me, through no fault of my own. 

51 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Meaning if you have a live time allowance from your wife to stay at her house you don’t have to do a TM30, as long you are married??

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I’m not sure what it means. It was said by an official from CW. Might be something to ask about at your local Immigration office.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, Mavideol said:

maybe could pinch in about their request to have 800K blocked at the bank, many of us are property owners, why not use the property as the collateral and allow us to use the cash for daily living expenses,

The property has no value due the that fact that only Thai can hold the land. So the property will also belong to the thai land owner.

This is even in the western countries the same.

The legal contract that recongize the ownership and can be used by foreingers and prevent this they are not legal under thai law. This has to be changed by the goverment.

When you rent land the land owner will become to owner of the asets put on the plot.

Other solution is permant the residence visa for the foreigner. Then all problems are solved and the foreigner can wven own land. No need for the 800.000 thb in the bank too.

Richard Barrow was at the meeting with head of immigration yesterday and some Indian communities or their chambers of commerces. Rules in Bangkok seems that if you leave the province, 24 hours, you must report.

Check his main website. It is more and more confuse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isaanlawyers said:

Richard Barrow was at the meeting with head of immigration yesterday and some Indian communities or their chambers of commerces. Rules in Bangkok seems that if you leave the province, 24 hours, you must report.

Really saddening is that it got more and more confusing when a particular guy took over. It wouldn't be like that without him. One more petition...........( kidding)

3 hours ago, NightSky said:

The website security is flawed and anyone can access the database. Hope you didn’t use your main email address - expect lots of spam and scam emails if you signed it and if the website is still up without any security.

there is a difference between fearfulness and stupidity.

Two possibilities:

1) You are a troll and liar. In that case, we should care what you say.

2) You can prove to me that you can access the database of signature. SHOW ME (at [email protected]) who is the first signature in the SQL database and maybe 25, just for fun. And if you do so, you should help us to repair it instead of whining.

I think you probably make money with visas and try to make the people afraid to sign. That's really how I feel and I am rarely wrong about people. They don't jump on every opportunities like you do to scare people without explaining how there is a breach of security.

Waiting for your email.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bastco said:

Hi Sebastian,

I really appreciate your efforts. Would you be able to request uniformity of Immigration Law throughout Thailand Immigration Provincial Offices be strictly enforced and adhered to under threat of penalty to the offending office and a Call Centre number provided specifically to report any office not complying. Maybe worded/composed by an expat lawyer who is already respected by Thai Immigration heirarchy and maybe an expat media station who could request an explanation publicly from Thai Immigration Head Office. I find it hard to believe that the top brass in TI are aware of the "Own rules system" applied by individual Provincial offices

I believe this problem has only got progressively worse and needs to be addressed asap. 

On 15th of August, there will be a panel of foreign correspondent. I was invited, Richard Barrow will be there, probably BBC if they are in town, etc. We will discuss of many issues. It is not normal to have laws so complex, rules different from an office to another, so many forms TM6, TM28, TM30, TM47, all information should be clear and concise on their website. After all, tourism is making money for Thailand. Only expats in Isaan bring 9 billion baht to the economy. They have to realize it and I think they do. In Thailand, everything is cha cha....

• Like 1

"A large proportion of foreign workers are from Cambodia, Laos and Burma. Something like 3 million in the country. Often, they do not respect rules and regulations. That is a major problem for immigration. Rules are enforced largely for them but as there is only one law, it affects foreigners from Western countries."

Ummm.....Don't respect rules.......Rules are enforced for them??? Slight contradiction. Make rules for people who don't follow rules. 

13 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Because it contains information albeit unpalatable. 

The information given by immigration is often very difficult to get. They make complicated rules for reasons that I think but won't say. I wanted a copy of their internal memo signed on 5th August but they refused. However, I saw it.

In 2008, I got a copy in Thai of rules 777/2551 and we translated them for free. That was great information. Right now, on TM30, it is a MESS. What I know, I put it on thailawonline (not about visa but other law subjects). Even then, it's difficult to update, I have to work (my gf has 4 children) and Thai law is a mess. I do think Richard Barrow does his best. 

When I did my permanent residency, I got copies of documents that are not public. But If I put them public, do you think immigration will like me? Already, they don't like me very much but they like when I provide English info to foreigners.

3 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

"A large proportion of foreign workers are from Cambodia, Laos and Burma. Something like 3 million in the country. Often, they do not respect rules and regulations. That is a major problem for immigration. Rules are enforced largely for them but as there is only one law, it affects foreigners from Western countries."

Ummm.....Don't respect rules.......Rules are enforced for them??? Slight contradiction. Make rules for people who don't follow rules. 

They often come without a visa, or with a visa and overstay, for example. 

Edited by Isaanlawyers
added.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Is there a "law on people act" , I always thought it is a poorly translated reference to the constitution.

Its a poor translation to the citicens registration act.  Its where all around the housebook is ruled.

24 minutes ago, Isaanlawyers said:

On 15th of August, there will be a panel of foreign correspondent. I was invited, Richard Barrow will be there, probably BBC if they are in town, etc. We will discuss of many issues. It is not normal to have laws so complex, rules different from an office to another, so many forms TM6, TM28, TM30, TM47, all information should be clear and concise on their website. After all, tourism is making money for Thailand. Only expats in Isaan bring 9 billion baht to the economy. They have to realize it and I think they do. In Thailand, everything is cha cha....

maybe bring up the "red/brown envelope" system and how much that also affects their tourism

I thank issan lawyers for the post and a great explanation of what the IO in Korat think etc.

i live in Maha sarakham and they do not do online 90 days like some other offices so i hope they move quickly with the online lodgements as i live over an hour from the immigration office,

I have signed the petition and happy to do anything i can to help the organisers as i sent it to all my friends to do the same.

25 minutes ago, Isaanlawyers said:

I wanted a copy of their internal memo signed on 5th August but they refused. However, I saw it.

Police orders always come with an index number, which index number did this one have?

@Isaanlawyers I for one really appreciate you championing these efforts to take this up with immigration and for your effort with the website, the petition of which I signed too.

I have worked here for 21 years, legally married with family, have condo in BKK and at a beach village in Sattahip district. 

I work in BKK Monday to Friday but weekend at our beach condo which I own. By their regulation I should report to immigration in BKK every Monday, other than do my job, which an employer would not tolerate. 

Similarly I and many farang friends are keen mountain bikers and often do day trips out of BKK at weekends. Again, this would mean Mondays at immigration. Clearly the current construction of these regulations is senseless for many people, and against the spirit of good guys in, bad guys out. It is making it much harder for good guys who pay taxes, support families, invest in properties and the stock market. 

I've registered with the section 38 app some time ago, but still have not received an ID or password to do TM30 reporting online. This flakey and unreliable nature of anything online with the government adds to the frustration. 

I would gladly support any efforts to revise these regulations

• Like 1

Thanks for your help an old saying get the ball rolling and who knows where it will stop I looked at the Aussie dollar Thai baht again today and horror horror the Aussie dollar has slipped further I have one payment to go on a new home that I am thinking I might not get to live in and the look I got from my wife when I said a little more and I have to go Cambodia talk about looks can kill a cat

On 8/8/2019 at 7:01 AM, Mavideol said:

maybe could pinch in about their request to have 800K blocked at the bank, many of us are property owners, why not use the property as the collateral and allow us to use the cash for daily living expenses,

Isaanlawyers,

Your efforts are very much appreciated. I also agree with Mavideol that if you own property, this should be accepted in lieu of the 800K. I currently have two lots of 800K tied up and that's a lorra, lorra money that I could put to better use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaanlawyers said:

His web site says nothing we didn't know already. On his twitter he said he was going for a discussion, but by the sounds of it he just got the law laid down to him again.

You are a superstar for doing this - thank you very much! It is difficult to get to the bottom of these things in this country.

As in all countries, many officials (and many soccer managers, which I have not heard the end of with the latest transfer news) will repeat themselves and the law because they do not want to cause an issue. 

Step 1 is done. Dialogue has been opened which is great - well done for that. We also found out who is abusing the system, plus the fact that there are law changes being considered - thank you for this! Some people may have already known this, but for others like me, this is where I am getting my information - very helpful!

Edited by Michelle2019

4 hours ago, looplaw said:

Move. Find a landlord who will comply with TM 30. 

Report the landlord to yhe tax office as he is obviously trying to avoid paying taxes and does not want a link to him. If you have a juristic they will sign it. I had the same problem many years ago.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 1:01 PM, Mavideol said:

No one knows why the stipulation to have money on hand. Common wisdom would state it should be in cash and not timed deposit. Clearly a home is an illiquid asset.

17 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

His web site says nothing we didn't know already. On his twitter he said he was going for a discussion, but by the sounds of it he just got the law laid down to him again.

Really.. first time anyones thrown the 3 year rental contract becomes a permanent address and no 24h reporting required into anything I have read.. 

Of course lets make a bet that tomorrow thats different again. 

• Like 1

It is a fact that some Indians caused problems for many of us. In particular they faked some of the documents required when marrying a Thai citizen namely, the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry and its certified translation by the MFA.  That created a situation where some Amphur managers refused to register marriages between Thai's and foreigners. I believe that situation no longer exists but it has caused more documentation to be required - i.e. a translated, certified copy of your passport. Rules on having witnesses and a translator present at wedding registrations are being enforced at most Amphurs etc. etc. - a general enforcement of pre-existing rules that had perhaps not been so rigorously applied previously.

I hadn't realised the enforcement of TM30 was also brought about by the actions of these people. But again, its not something new, its enforcement of pre-existing rules.

However, the whole system of reporting - TM28/30/47 seems over-complicated and involves a lot of duplication. In fact, there are many issues with immigration that could be improved to the benefit of both visitors and the Thai authorities.

Establishing a line of communication with Thai Immigration may provide the basis for mutual improvements. Airing your views on Thai Visa is simply a discussion, it may be helpful but it won't bring about change.

The 'Thai Way' of doing things in many spheres is often baggy, overlong and over complicated but I believe that is some instances it may also be caused by poor translation and the fact that some of those enforcing the laws don't understand them themselves.

I believe there is an example of exactly that in the replies Isaan Lawyers received during the meeting with Officer Longtor. His statement that foreigners only have to register TM30 once and after that its the duty of the landlord is certainly at odds with the regulations.

This shows how difficult getting any change/reform of Thai Immigration is going to be but at least Isaan Lawyers have made a start. I for one, really appreciate that you have given up a hell of a lot of your free time to deal with matters that are not a problem for you personally as you have permanent residence.

I completely understand why the negativity of some posters here 'pissed you off' but please understand, many people support your efforts. Do not be put off by those who choose to sit and complain but do nothing themselves.

• Like 2