The life of a sewage worker in Bangkok

This story brought a tear to my eye. My great grandfather died working in the sewers of Melbourne, Australia. The story is told how he slipped on something and fell to his death.

Thankfully the careers paths of his descendants seemed to gradually improve after that event.

Interesting video.  Pity they can't punish market vendors who poor old oil down the drains. If caught they should be obliged to work cleaning out the drainage system for a week in the area where they commited the crime.

As for sandbags used during flooding it is just typical of the way things are in the city that out of sight is out of mind. I've also seen with my own eyes builders pouring unused cement down the drains.

Ah well......mai pen rai . Give them another century and they might eventually change for the better.

5 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

It's 2019 and still using buckets and a rope, bare feet and normal trousers, i remember nearly 70 years ago watching the drain cleaning lorry clear the drains like a huge vacuum cleaner.

Thailand in many areas is still in developing stage not a first world country definitely. Thailand implements many policies in their own style unlike ASEAN countries like Singapore or Malaysia which had the good luck of inheriting the british system ( famous for law and roads) before their independence. Thailand on the other hand, just moot along adopting some and discarding those that don’t work. Trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Labour is cheaper here and don’t need regular maintenance. Lack of machinery maintenance is a noticeable trait of the Thais. 

51 minutes ago, Denim said:

Interesting video.  Pity they can't punish market vendors who poor old oil down the drains. If caught they should be obliged to work cleaning out the drainage system for a week in the area where they commited the crime.

As for sandbags used during flooding it is just typical of the way things are in the city that out of sight is out of mind. I've also seen with my own eyes builders pouring unused cement down the drains.

Ah well......mai pen rai . Give them another century and they might eventually change for the better.

Pouring excess cement down the toilet is also one of the practices of housing development in many ASEAN countries. Difficult to catch the culprits because the problem only surfaces after handing over of the house. 

2 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Thailand in many areas is still in developing stage not a first world country definitely. Thailand implements many policies in their own style unlike ASEAN countries like Singapore or Malaysia which had the good luck of inheriting the british system ( famous for law and roads) before their independence. Thailand on the other hand, just moot along adopting some and discarding those that don’t work. Trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Labour is cheaper here and don’t need regular maintenance. Lack of machinery maintenance is a noticeable trait of the Thais. 

Never read about the fat mountains in British sewers, they need an army of workers to dig it out

Shitty job without the accompanying cash compensation. Unfortunately without proper breathing apparatus, these poor workers would get cancerous growth from breathing noxious fumes from the sewers. A sad plight indeed. 

Archived