It's not really my business

GuyDow

OK, a little more context.

The situation usually arises when I have been having a conversation in Thai with a friend or relative. My view is sought on some matter but I would prefer not to comment. How do I politely put that across?

6 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

My friend suggests ไม่ขอออกความเห็นครับ but I'm pretty sure that's not polite enough for your purposes. He's no diplomat. A bit gruff at the best of times.

Thanks but I agree with you. It's a bit blunt.

A reasonably polite way would be

ไม่ใช่เรื่องของผมครับ  f)mai f)chai f)reuang r)khawg r)phom h)khrap 

reuang = business, affair, issue, matter.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

A reasonably polite way would be

ไม่ใช่เรื่องของผมครับ  f)mai f)chai f)reuang r)khawg r)phom h)khrap 

reuang = business, affair, issue, matter.

Sounds aggressive if you speak like this in the family or with your girl friend. 

Too direct. 

ไม่รู้เหมือนกัน spoken in apologetic voice would be better in this setting. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, "mai roo" is best response.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

With respect: he's not asking for the best response but asking how to say in Thai: 'not my business'. What is more  correct is very important but in language learning addressing the needs of the learner is more important. Your answer does not help him with his specific inquiry and in fact subtly criticises him for asking the 'wrong' question and at the learner's expense, demonstrates your linguistic superiority.

2 hours ago, uhuh said:

Sounds aggressive if you speak like this in the family or with your girl friend. 

Too direct. 

ไม่รู้เหมือนกัน spoken in apologetic voice would be better in this setting. 

ไม่รู้เหมือนกัน Please lower yourself to transliterate, otherwise you are not really helping people who need to be helped but just showing off.

4 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

With respect: he's not asking for the best response but asking how to say in Thai: 'not my business'. What is more  correct is very important but in language learning addressing the needs of the learner is more important. Your answer does not help him with his specific inquiry and in fact subtly criticises him for asking the 'wrong' question and at the learner's expense, demonstrates your linguistic superiority.

A good example is if I am asked my opinion on corruption. To say I don't know is incorrect. To say that it's not my business is more accurate.

ไม่แน่จะพูดอะไรดี

Mai nae ja pood arai Dee

Not sure What good to say

I think I would say something like that.

I might swap pood พูด speak, for kid คิด think.

I also like adding เหมือนกัน - meuan gan to the end of sentences as mentioned by uhuh

ฉันจะไม่ยุ่ง i won't get involved has become popular amoung the younger crowd, 

substitute your name for greater effect

จอห์นจะไม่ยุง John wouldn't get involved

เรื่องนี้ฉันจะไม่ยุ่ง I won't involve myself with this matter

ไม่ขอออกความเห็นดีกว่า I'd rather not say/no comment

36 minutes ago, digbeth said:

ฉันจะไม่ยุ่ง i won't get involved has become popular amoung the younger crowd, 

substitute your name for greater effect

จอห์นจะไม่ยุง John wouldn't get involved

เรื่องนี้ฉันจะไม่ยุ่ง I won't involve myself with this matter

ไม่ขอออกความเห็นดีกว่า I'd rather not say/no comment

Would adding 'noi' at the end of all these statements soften the meaning more?

8 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Would adding 'noi' at the end of all these statements soften the meaning more?

-ดีกว่า 
ฉันจะไม่ยุง+ดีกว่า 

I'd better not get involved

3 hours ago, GuyDow said:

There's beer in the fridge!

Yep, I supposed so. That´s why I quoted the shop price, and not the restaurant price.

55 Chang, 60 Leo, 65 Singha, 75 Heineken. You must have been buying it sometime, right? :cheesy:

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

-ดีกว่า 
ฉันจะไม่ยุง+ดีกว่า 

I'd better not get involved

There is a sensible answer. ดีกว่า (dee gwa) is a good way of showing your opinion.  

When I saw the post I thought of ไม่อยากพูด (my yaak poot ) 

As to, ไม่ขอออกความเห็น (my khor  ork kwam hen) I don’t understand why ขอออก is there. Where does it come from? 

To เห็น is to see, to appraise a situation I think is to คิดเห็น (kit hen) and that could be your opinion. 

ค่อย (koy) is used to soften too.  ไม่ค่อยพูด ไม่ค่อยมีความคิดเห็น might say that you do not really have any opinion on the subject. 

I wonder if one could say ไม่ค่อยอยากพูด or just ไม่ค่อยพูด 

Apologies to sunnyboy2018 but if you knew how difficult and how long it takes to get an iPad to accept phonetic spelling you would know why you see less of it. I have tried and it took a many attempts so I hope that you appreciate it! 

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

มันไม่ใช่เรื่องของฉัน/ผม

Man mai chai ruang Kong’s chan/pom 

This is pretty much what I have been saying so far and, all things considered, comes closest to the sentiment I want to express. I don't want to say I do not wish to speak or that I do not know. These responses, in my opinion, invite further questions on why this is.

I do want to thank everybody for their contributions. I have found the views expressed interesting and informative. I always like to see how others would deal with some of the everyday situations that you encounter when speaking Thai.

Archived