It's not really my business

GuyDow

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

regardless of the language,  I usually tell them it's time for my fresh air walk and step out 555

Great, and how do you say that in Thai? This is after all the Thai language forum. 

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned earlier:

"I don't know." - R)phom F)mai H)roo H)khrap,

seems to get the message accross.

However,  a cultural note: Thais are content to say they don't know something, even when they do know - and this can grate on a westerner's sensibilities: because we are taught to speak with honesty, and would prefer to say something more honest yet circumspect along the lines of, "I'm not quite sure."

My first teacher of Thai taught me that:

"snake snake fish fish" - M)ngu M)ngu M)plaa M)plaa,

was a multi-use idiom which, in this situation, could mean: "I know more, but that's all I'm saying for now."

I admit that neither of the above approaches includes the OP's "not my business" element.

Following on the cultural aspect, when I first read “none of my business” I thought “ไม่ใช่เรื่องของผม” this is just the translation, I can not picture a Thai saying it,  but when I read “ rather not comment upon” that took precedence because I have heard it said so: ไม่อยากพูด. 

I feel that “I do not want to.......” closes down the discussion more effectively.    

Archived